Does running get easier?

Options

Replies

• RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    Yes!!! Keep running consistently and slowly. You may just love it one day.
    I ran tonight after feeling pain in my knee for most of the day and loved it! I almost always get a high from running and there's nothing like it:)
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Yes, it does get easier. I'm still a slow runner compared to many, but I can run much longer than I could before. Now running for 45 consecutive minutes doesn't seem daunting. Just take it one day at a time, give yourself enough time to rest and recover from each run. I'm glad I stuck with it because now I really enjoy running.
  • cadillacblues87
    Options
    Wow, this support is amazing!

Thank you all for your replies. You all really took the time to think and formulate an answer for me. The more involved I become in the running community, the more welcoming people are!

One of the questions asked was do I like running.

In short, YES!! I love it! I have made great progress and have definitely experienced some of the high that runners talk about. Sometimes when I am running, I can hardly breath but I can't get the smile off of my face. Other times I have to have some serious internal conversation. Goes something like "You want to be a runner??? THEN DON'T STOP! RUN, DAMNIT!!"
    Either way, I push through and amaze myself more and more every time I lace up. It's the first exercise I can do that I can actually zone out and let everything just fly out of my head. For once in my life, I am doing only one thing - running!

Thank you for letting me know that it may get easier, but it will always be challenging.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Hey all. As some of you may know, I am doing the c25k program and loving it! I got off the treadmill and completed a run on the track today and it was DIFFICULT. So much so that I went from week 3 back to week 2 and I don't regret it. I'm going to just keep going from there. That said, there is nothing like the accomplishment of running, and I can't wait until my first 5k in 58 days.

So I am going to keep at it no matter how hard it is. If I have to change something, I will. I am also doing well with calorie counting and losing weight. Here is my question...
    Will running get easier before I lose this weight? I have about 100 lbs to lose total, and I just hope that I can get more comfortable running before then. I know running will always be challenging, and without that, I wouldn't experience the triumph of completing a run, but I am curious about the "hardness" of it. Make sense?

Thoughts?

Yes, running feels like torture at first. But eventually it will get much easier and actually enjoyable. The best way to make it feel easier faster is to work intervals into your runs. Running outside is also a lot more fun than a treadmill.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Generally speaking I would say yes. That said, not everyone is a "runner." I am one of those someones. I was a sprinter and jumper in track and field most of my life...but I've never been a good endurance runner and it's never been easy for me....even after trying very hard last year for 9 months to be a "runner"...I could never get below a 32 minute 5K, and that was me really pushing it. Though I do enjoy mud runs for fun.

My wife on the other hand can run a 5K in her sleep with zero training...literally, when she started running again she went out and ran a 25 minute 5K all easy peezy. Both her and her sister are that way and and like doing 1/2 marathons and marathons, etc...I couldn't imagine doing anything more than a very slow 10K at the most.
  • maree142
    maree142 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting your question, because it was my question also after doing week 4, day 1 of couch to 5k. All day it had been on my mind that I was scared of the 4 minute blocks and that I would hate it and not do it. (And that was on the tread, not as tough as outside!). But I made it, and I am looking forward to repeating it on Wednesday.

keep posting on how you're going because it sounds as though you've got all the bones of it - determination, enjoyment, and initiative (esp moving to outdoor running!)
  • spg71
    spg71 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I find running very very hard, never been any good at it, always a massive battle of mind over legs and lungs and don't really seem to improve :(
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Yes! I started c25k in November and thought I was going to suffocate, yet today I ran nearly 5 miles and felt fantastic. Keep at it, it gets better.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Hey all. As some of you may know, I am doing the c25k program and loving it! I got off the treadmill and completed a run on the track today and it was DIFFICULT. So much so that I went from week 3 back to week 2 and I don't regret it. I'm going to just keep going from there. That said, there is nothing like the accomplishment of running, and I can't wait until my first 5k in 58 days.

So I am going to keep at it no matter how hard it is. If I have to change something, I will. I am also doing well with calorie counting and losing weight. Here is my question...
    Will running get easier before I lose this weight? I have about 100 lbs to lose total, and I just hope that I can get more comfortable running before then. I know running will always be challenging, and without that, I wouldn't experience the triumph of completing a run, but I am curious about the "hardness" of it. Make sense?

Thoughts?

YES it does get easier!!!

And you did exactly the right thing by going back and doing a previous week again. It took me SIX separate attempts to crack c25k before I got it to work for me, and I ended up running a full marathon a year to the day I made me 6th and final c25k attempt.

To make it a little easier on yourself, you could drop your pace a little, too..when I did mine, sometimes I ran at 'walking pace'.

Also, it seems as if you are doing it on a treadmill ( which is probably sensible with this harsh winter), but try and run outdoors too if you get an opportunity…the difference between indoors and outdoor running is really huge…

Of course there is a perceived " hardness" to running and endurance running in particular…which is why non-runners think we are crazy…that is a huge badge of honour :-)

Once you have finished, just consolidate your 5k's and you will feel limitless!
  • charlisobel
    charlisobel Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    "You want to be a runner??? THEN DON'T STOP! RUN, DAMNIT!!"

I love this! When I first started I couldn't run more than about 30seconds without feeling like I was going to die. But I did 5k this morning. I still have to chant "can't run by walking" sometimes, it was my mantra in the early days!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I find running very very hard, never been any good at it, always a massive battle of mind over legs and lungs and don't really seem to improve :(

Slow down!

To the OP........yes it gets easier but it takes time, patience and consistency. You probably made the right decision going back to week 2 when you switched to running outside. Don't worry about repeating weeks, your goal is to run injury free and have fun!
  • MysteriousLdy
    MysteriousLdy Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Ever before, I kept telling myself,I cannot run or jog..but when slowly I kept force myself doing it ,that I must do it,no matter what it took..I did it successfully. I joined 5km walkathon ,just so I wont stop myself in halfway,earned few encouragement medals for joining the charity walks/jog. I could finish 38-40mins for 5km (aiming at less than 35mins,if possible for 5k)
  • theycallyoumister
    theycallyoumister Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Yes! :smile:
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options

Third off, and this is the tricky part: Do you actually LIKE running? I know you say you feel the accomplishment of the finish. But do you like it while you're doing it? Not everybody likes running. Some people absolutely detest it. Running can be like licorice - you either love it or you hate it. If you're struggling because you like it but stink at it, then that's one thing. But if you're struggling because you simply don't like it even though you keep trying? The odds are if this is the case then you're never actually going to like running.

I completely disagree with this! I was a running hater my whole life! Not only when I couldn't do it, but when I was in boxing doing crazy jump rope drills and found i had the lung capacity to handle running i thought it was stupid and a ridiculous waste of time. So i ran 5k here and there with my boxing friends as a warmup before class but hated it.

Eventually I had a baby and as a single mom of a new baby with a full time job, I could not fit exercise into my life and lost all of my fitness, became overweight and pretty unhealthy. Two runner's in my life suggested I pick up running to get healthier because I could do it with my daughter in the jogger, no sitter required. Eventually I realized it was the only thing i could fit in so i did it. I started c25k. I hated every second of it. I was bad at it, it hurt my tired body and i had to focus on distracting my brain every time I was out there. Also, the added stress on my body was making me susceptible to every infection my daughter brought home from daycare. I had strep throat 3 times in 2 months! So i hung up my sneakers until spring. When i tried again, i still hated every minute of it, but decided to prove to running that I could do it. June of 2012 after over a year of trying, I was finally able to run 5k in 40 minutes. So i thought I'd train for a half marathon. In August of 2012 during HM training I ran a 5k in 29:52 while pushing my daughter in the jogger. And that's when running finally won me over. I've got my 5th half marathon coming up next week!

So long story, but the point is, you can trick your mind into liking anything, even running.

And to the OP, does running get easier? No! But you get better at it! :-)
  • from experience the type of shoes you run with makes a very big difference
  • nathalier71
    nathalier71 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    It does get easier - you also need to remember there will be good runs, not so good runs and all out awful runs... that won't change... keep on going!

I can't run right now due to injury - I was up to 10km - I went out yesterday after a week off and couldn't even do 1km - that's very frustrating but not giving u =)
  • zornig
    zornig Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    My story is more like RunnerElizabeth's. I started trying to run almost 10 years ago as a means of crosstraining for cycling and Olympic lifting. For me it never got easier, never was enjoyable, at most I was able to distract myself with obsessively tracking my distance and pace improvements using various techno gadgets.

I would go long stretches where I'd just say "screw it" to running, but I'd always circle back because it felt like the one thing I couldn't master. It has only been in the past 9 months that something clicked for me and now I'm pretty obsessed with running. For years I couldn't run a 5K without stopping to walk, but today I just got back from a run where I ran 7 miles without stopping to walk even once (total outing today was 8.7 miles, but there were a few walks at the end there). Next Saturday I'm running my first race--a 15K--and I'm pretty excited, and feel confident I can do it, even if I have to walk some of it.

Running will get easier for you, and with any luck, you'll even come to enjoy it more. Whether or not that will happen quickly is anybody's guess however. If you are benefiting and can get yourself to push through the pain/difficulty, it will be worth it.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    The more you run, the better you get at running.

Sounds obvious, but there it is.
  • Jollybeard
    Jollybeard Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I agree with the general sentiment here. Running does get easier over time -- physically, anyway. What remains hard is the mental toughness it requires to get out on the road or the treadmill and stay there for the miles you have planned. Whether it's cold, or raining, or snowing, or hot, or hilly, or humid, it's easy to find a hundred reasons not to go running. But the feeling you get afterward is always worth it.

Early on, the best strategy is not to push it too hard. Short intervals of running followed by walking is best. And when you run, don't worry about pace. Build up your endurance for distance and then work on speed when you have the stamina to take you as far as you want to go.
  • cadillacblues87
    Options
    The more you run, the better you get at running.

Sounds obvious, but there it is.

lol, thank you although that doesn't exactly answer my question...