please help i cant walk

Options
So sorry to bother you all but I'm am looking for a little advice please and I hope one of you clever people could help out.

It was my second time at the gym on Saturday and was offered a personal training session so I jumped at the chance. I did about a 30 min intense leg workout . I told the instructer I was feeling very sick, dizzy and that my legs wouldn't move anymore. We had a minute break then we went again. My knees were burning ect and I told them that I had to stop and my legs were like jelly. I ended up sat in the changing room for 45 mins before I could get changed and then had to sit in the car for a while as I could depress the clutch.that was all on Saturday and my legs have been getting worse since then. I've tried a hot bath and ended up being stuck in there for an hour as I couldn't get out, tried ibuprofen , I'm in so much pain, and am finding it extemly difficult to walk. I have had someone tell me that my intstucter should have stretched me and thoroughly warmed up but that didn't happen ,is there anything I can do to eliviate this pain

Thanks
Fee x

Replies

• YorriaRaine
    YorriaRaine Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Go to a doctor immediately and get yourself checked out. Then go by that said doctors recommendations for pain.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Why come to a forum and ask. Go and see a Doctor it's obviously more than after exercise soreness
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Muscle pain means you did way more than you should but you are not going to have any damage from it. The best you can do if this is the case, is walk. Not exercise, but walk, or you will be in more pain tomorrow. If it is pain in the knees, you need to see a dr.
  • fsucrack
    fsucrack Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I would go to a doctor... that is not normal and there could be something with nerves that you dont want to put off
  • yogacat13
    yogacat13 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Go to a doctor immediately and get yourself checked out. Then go by that said doctors recommendations for pain.

This. And report that trainer to the gym - that is inexcusable to push someone to that level of pain after being told you were feeling sick and dizzy.
  • Muscle pain means you did way more than you should but you are not going to have any damage from it. The best you can do if this is the case, is walk. Not exercise, but walk, or you will be in more pain tomorrow. If it is pain in the knees, you need to see a dr.

^ this. Nothing more to add.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    If you literally could not move your legs immediately after the workout for 45+ minutes, that's not DOMS. Go see your doctor - you should have done this a while ago.
  • toronto_j
    toronto_j Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Are you feeling actual pain, or muscle soreness? When I've started with intense exercise, I've been so sore in my back of my legs that I was crazy stiff for a few days. That eventually passes. It's a different sensation if you've hurt yourself. Can you stretch?
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    You probably want to see a doctor. Some mild pain is normal, but there are other complications that can happen when your muscles are pushed too far.
  • ThriceBlessed
    ThriceBlessed Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I don't know anything about your health prior to this "training session" or about your general physical condition, but what you described does not sound normal at all. Especially feeling sick and dizzy... you really need to go see a doctor, if it turns out you just have sore muscles that will pass in a few days, but you could have a more serious underlying condition that caused your body to respond so badly to overexertion.

And yes the trainer should have had you warm up before and stretch after... perhaps the stretching was planned but didn't happen because you had to cut the workout short... as for the warm up, that may have been something like working out at a lower intensity in the beginning... either way it sounds like the trainer over worked you. Even so, if you were healthy it sounds like you had a pretty extreme reaction to that overwork... so see a doctor.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Muscle pain means you did way more than you should but you are not going to have any damage from it. The best you can do if this is the case, is walk. Not exercise, but walk, or you will be in more pain tomorrow. If it is pain in the knees, you need to see a dr.

No.

There is some sort of medical condition that has been seen in CrossFit participants...if you do WAY more than you should be doing for your level of fitness, something can happen to your muscles and actually kill you. Clearly, I don't know all the details of that sickness (and can't even remember the name), but I'd go to the doctor. You might need something stronger than ibuprofen as well.

And next time, take it a lot slower, and I probably wouldn't use that trainer again.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You didn't warm up? So presumably didn't cool down and stretch afterwards either?
  • mohawkRN
    mohawkRN Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    The condition seen in CrossFit athletes and others is rhabdomyolysis, a condition of muscle breakdown that can be caused by overexertion. I am an ER nurse and I have no idea what the heck happened to you, but it doesn't sound like run-of-the=mill muscle soreness. Rhabdo and muscle soreness take time to develop, so you would usually feel the pain several hours after working out, not during a workout. Could just be that you're actually coming down with something like the flu, but I'd doubt it given how much pain you were in.

I don't want to freak you out too much, but given your age, this could be some type of neuro disorder. I agree that you need to see a doctor.
  • sarahkatara
    sarahkatara Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    So sorry to bother you all but I'm am looking for a little advice please and I hope one of you clever people could help out.

It was my second time at the gym on Saturday and was offered a personal training session so I jumped at the chance. I did about a 30 min intense leg workout . I told the instructer I was feeling very sick, dizzy and that my legs wouldn't move anymore. We had a minute break then we went again. My knees were burning ect and I told them that I had to stop and my legs were like jelly. I ended up sat in the changing room for 45 mins before I could get changed and then had to sit in the car for a while as I could depress the clutch.that was all on Saturday and my legs have been getting worse since then. I've tried a hot bath and ended up being stuck in there for an hour as I couldn't get out, tried ibuprofen , I'm in so much pain, and am finding it extemly difficult to walk. I have had someone tell me that my intstucter should have stretched me and thoroughly warmed up but that didn't happen ,is there anything I can do to eliviate this pain

Thanks
    Fee x

DOCTOR. NOW.
    I'm a brand new trainer at a gym and it's my first time as a trainer. As others have mentioned it is INEXCUSABLE for a trainer to push you that hard, especially not knowing you, your history, your fitness level, or limits. Report him or her to the fitness manager. It is very dangerous to do what they did to you. Many people say throwing up/passing out etc means it's a good workout but it's not true. Those are symptoms that something is wrong. Our body can only communicate with us by making us feel a certain way, good or bad. The moment you told the trainer you weren't feeling well, they should have stopped the workout and assisted you in getting your heart rate down and told you how to alleviate the soreness and pain. Again, please report them and be careful!!!
  • feefeelalabelle
    Options
    Thank you so much for taking the time to read and reply, much appreciated. I will give the doctors a call first thing in the morning.

The pain isn't like when you have ripped something and it wasn't like a owwww when I lifted it was like a .....my muscles aching and my legs are shaking from over working. It is aching not pain if you see what I mean. I will go to the docs but is there anything I can do for tonight. I will start moving about if you think that would help.should I stretch now.

My fitness is very poor, although with clothes on I look fairly fit, but I haven't done anything for over 7 years as in excersicecwise and am very unfit, I'm 10.8 .even before when I used to excerise I could manage as much as I would have liked

When I said I was sat down in the changing room it was mainly the sickness what got me at that point and was told if your not sick you havntvdone enough,
    The post about a neuro disease is very worring, I'm feeling worse about all this now.

Its mainly the muscles on the front of my thighs what are so tender on both legs

Someone asked if I can stretch , yeh I can fully extend both legs but the muscles pull

Thanks so much xxxxxx
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I think people suggested it might be a neuro problem because DOMS will not set-in so quickly that it would leave you unable to move from the locker room/depress the clutch, nor should DOMS prevent you from getting out of the bathtub. If you were just feeling nauseous in the locker room, that's a bit different than being unable to stand/move your legs after a workout which sounds more like a neuro issue. And if you were just sore and it was painful to get out of the tub, that very well could be DOMS. If you think it's something more than mere DOMS, you should talk to your doctor, but it's sort of hard to say from your description of the symptoms.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    When you are not in shape or do not know your limits (in your case, the trainer not respecting your limits), feeling diziness or shaking after a work out can happen and it is nothing to worry about. I have seen guys walk into an advanced women-dominated class, feeling embarrassed they could not keep up and end up throwing up or having to lay down for an hour before they could work again. Extreme and usually common sense prevents this from happening (and a decent trainer will stop you long before you get there) but happens and means nothing other than you should be more relaxed next time and not push yourself anywhere close to this.
    Extreme muscle soreness is also not uncommon when doing something brand new, especially if you are not in shape. My first day after a TRX class, I could barely walk up the stairs, and I was not that out of shape to begin with. A friend who has been in aerobics classes for years, tried a new strengthening program and confessed the next day she was sitting at the toilet and had to call her husband to help her up. It happens. If this is the kind of pain you are feeling, it is not something to worry about. Do stretches, and walk around. If it is joints, tendons or you cannot breathe etc, then you need to worry.
  • feefeelalabelle
    Options
    When you are not in shape or do not know your limits (in your case, the trainer not respecting your limits), feeling diziness or shaking after a work out can happen and it is nothing to worry about. I have seen guys walk into an advanced women-dominated class, feeling embarrassed they could not keep up and end up throwing up or having to lay down for an hour before they could work again. Extreme and usually common sense prevents this from happening (and a decent trainer will stop you long before you get there) but happens and means nothing other than you should be more relaxed next time and not push yourself anywhere close to this.
    Extreme muscle soreness is also not uncommon when doing something brand new, especially if you are not in shape. My first day after a TRX class, I could barely walk up the stairs, and I was not that out of shape to begin with. A friend who has been in aerobics classes for years, tried a new strengthening program and confessed the next day she was sitting at the toilet and had to call her husband to help her up. It happens. If this is the kind of pain you are feeling, it is not something to worry about. Do stretches, and walk around. If it is joints, tendons or you cannot breathe etc, then you need to worry.

I think you have understood me lol.I appreciate that xxx