Finding and Meeting the Caloric Deficit [help!]

Options
I've gone through many of the recommended threads, and found a lot of great information! However, I'm left with a few personal questions, and it would be amazing if someone could help answer them! I've been forming healthier habits for some time prior to this (finally getting out of inactivity), and joined the mfp on the recommendation of a friend. I'd like to lose a bit of weight while retaining muscle mass and have more energy throughout the day!

Entering in at 180lbs 6'4'' with moderate exercise (3-5 days a week, 30-45 minutes per session) my estimated BMR is 2035, and my TDEE being 2888 - 2977. To consume 80% of my TDEE would be 2310.4 - 2381.6 calories daily, giving me a deficit of up to 595.4 (1lb/5.88days).

If this is my correct caloric deficit (I would appreciate confirmation), what are some of the best ways for me to reach it without going over on other categories (sodium, carbs, cholesterol, ...) ?

By cataloging my meals on this website, I have learned so much about the foods I commonly ate before and honestly have had quite a bit of fun. Unfortunately, I came to realize that I had actually been eating very little! Averaging at around 1.3k to 1.8k before, I fear that I was/am in "starvation mode."

Replies

• timbrom
    timbrom Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    6'4", 180 lbs. Dude, do you even lift?

In all seriousness though, why in the world do you want to lose weight? Put on 60lbs of muscle, it's a hell of a lot more fun.
  • Aerinite
    Options

In all seriousness though, why in the world do you want to lose weight? Put on 60lbs of muscle, it's a hell of a lot more fun.
    Haha, true! I guess I'm not use to the idea, and that my real goal would be to eliminate body fat and replace it with muscle. Which I believe will happen if I have the correct caloric deficient (do I?) and continue working out.
  • timbrom
    Options

Haha, true! I guess I'm not use to the idea, and that my real goal would be to eliminate body fat and replace it with muscle. Which I believe will happen if I have the correct caloric deficient (do I?) and continue working out.

How old are you?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,961 Member
    Options

Then start eating at least at maintenance, find a good gym and learn to lift some weights.
  • timbrom
    Options

It's not really possible to gain muscle mass while eating at a calorie deficit*. Pick up the book Starting Strength, by Mark Rippetoe. You want to eat to grow, and the only way to eat to grow is by eating _more_ than your TDEE. At 6'4" and 180 lbs you don't really have that much body fat to lose, and if you do lose it you'll expose an emaciated skeleton. Eat, gain muscle, then worry about cutting the body fat if you need to.

Plus, once you have the extra muscle mass burning the fat is easier because muscle takes more calories to maintain than fat does.

I'd start eating about TDEE + 10-15%, so somewhere around 3200-3300 calories. Aim to gain about a pound a week, and adjust your calories as needed. You may have to go as high as 4, even 5,000 calories a day to achieve that, but don't go there all at once.

* Yes, yes, I know, noob gains and all that. Yeah, you might stack on a couple pounds of muscle at first, but it's going to slow down real fast, your strength gains are going to slow down real quick, and anyone who starts arguing that he might put on a little bit of muscle is missing the point and engaging in physiologic wankery.
  • Aerinite
    Options
    How old are you?
    Recently 18!
    Then start eating at least at maintenance, find a good gym and learn to lift some weights.
    Alright, thanks. I wanted to make sure that I had the right idea before committing.
    I'd start eating about TDEE + 10-15%, so somewhere around 3200-3300 calories. Aim to gain about a pound a week, and adjust your calories as needed. You may have to go as high as 4, even 5,000 calories a day to achieve that, but don't go there all at once.
    Eating that much is gonna be a challenge but it does make sense.
  • timbrom
    Options
    How old are you?
    Recently 18!
    Alright, thanks. I wanted to make sure that I had the right idea before committing.
    Eating that much is gonna be a challenge but it does make sense.

Milk. Drinking calories is a great way to get there, and milk has an excellent macronutrient profile. Baby mammals drink milk to grow, and that's exactly what you are trying to do, grow.

Plus, 6'4", 18 years old, testosterone through the roof. I hate you a little bit, to be honest. I'd kill to know what I know about lifting now when I was your age. Get Starting Strength, read it, do it.