Panic at the disco (or at the supermarket, as the case may b

Options
Has this ever happened to anyone else, or am I a complete freak?

Yesterday morning I discovered that I was running dangerously low on fruit and vegetables, so I decided to go to the supermarket after work to stock up. Once I was there and had picked out my fruit and vegetables, I decided I also wanted to have an organic oat, apricot and almond slice (sooooo gooooood). I went into the healthfood isle and started looking for the oat slice, as well as just looking at all the other bars etc available. I then became a crazy person. I started picking things up that looked good, reading the nutritional information, thinking 'that sounds good and healthy, I might try that', putting it into my basket, then, after a few more seconds/minutes of contemplation, deciding it wasn't worth the calories and removing it from my basket... And then thinking it had redeeming qualities and putting it back in my basket, and then taking it out again... And so on and so forth. Seriously, I did this for at least twenty minutes with various items. I might point out here that everything I looked at was healthy and nutritionally sound (no chips or chocolate or any empty calories) but I still found it reeeeeally hard to tell myself I could eat the bars and things that I was looking at. I did end up buying a box of Carmen's yoghurt, apricot and almond bars because (after endless contemplation) I decided it had 'better' calories than the organic oat slice that I was originally after. So I bought the fruits, vegetables and museli bars... And then the whole process started again when I got home. Do I eat the museli bar? Yes, it's made with oats, nuts, dried fruit and yoghurt, and it's only 155 calories. Are you sure you should eat the museli bar? Actually 155 calories is a lot for just a bar, I could have like 5 carrots for that much. But I want the museli bar. It is made with things that are good for me... But is 155 calories too much for a bar?

Needless to say I did not eat the museli bar.

This is not the first time I have done this; my cupboard is actually full of things I buy and never eat. I think about eating them, I take them out of the cupboard as if I'm going to eat them, but then 10 seconds later I decide I can't eat them. Does anyone else do this, or am I a freak??

Replies

• butterflyfaerie
    butterflyfaerie Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I'm exactly the same, and I think I'm getting to the point where I'm almost afraid to eat. When we went to the supermarket on Monday, stocking up because it was due to snow and we wouldn't be able to get out to get things, I checked the nutritional info on everything I picked up, putting it down then picking it up over and over again until I eventually decided to either put it back (sometimes right next to the checkout at a last minute change of heart) or deciding that even if it was a little over what I was willing to have, I could cut back on other things the day I ate it so the numbers would work out. Except now I've got it home (a weight watchers chicken tikka) I keep looking at it every dinner time, telling myself it's too much, and put it back in the freezer and end up eating something dull and boring instead.
  • CocoFire
    CocoFire Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I totally do this! I think people must think I'm reverse OCD or something. I'm in a doubly bad mess because I want to buy healthy AND sustainability. So I pick up the package, check the calories, check the recyclability of the package in my area, check for the appropriate mix of organic, cage free, free range, grain fed, or non-GMO labels-- walk around the store once-- then decide that there are too many calories-- and put it back. then change my mind.

Most of the time I don't end up getting it.

P!aTD rocks btw. I bet they'd think I'm a nut. =(
  • Mirabilis
    Mirabilis Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I'm finding that things I would have adored to have 6 months ago I just can't justify anymore. Case in point: pecan tart with chocolate crust. 340 cals. I just can't do it. I could have 2 bowls of oatmeal for that, or a full dinner (chicken breast and veggies).

Fruit and veggies are easiest but you still need the protein and fat (yes really), so it really gets to be a challenge to fit it in... sort of like Tetris!
  • katerinab
    Options
    I am so brainwashed it's ridiculous. I'm in a weight loss competition for money amongst my friends. All of them are having cheat days and doing reasonably well. I'm not having a cheat day at ALL, and yes, I'm winning (and I WILL WIN, dangit), but I can't get myself to treat myself for the first time in TEN AND A HALF WEEKS and have my favorite fast food meal (which will still leave me with enough calories for the day to sneak in dinner, and if I am careful with my snacks, I shouldn't go very far over my allotment). All I see is the nearly quadruple digit calorie count and FREAK and say, no no, I can't cheat. Kinda like Bart Simpson's "Can't sleep, clown will eat" me mantra, I've got the "can't cheat, pounds will find me" mantra. It sucks.
  • Dom82
    Dom82 Posts: 235
    Options
    Yep i do this too :embarassed: Can't help myself and i normally have enough calories left over that i can snack if i still feel hungry.. but mentally i generally don't and just have some water instead. Yep can justify wasting calories on something when i could be eating something else or just not eat them at all... :ohwell:

I do have a cheat day once a fortnight though. and then feel sick because normally its pizza or a burger and my body doesn't like grease anymore lol
  • meeshers
    meeshers Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    i do this too! the best thing for me to do is have a grocery list with me and stick to it exactly or I turn into Indecision Woman :tongue:
  • SandraMay1982
    Options
    I read labels. I look at the calories *in my case I have to guess cals because it's kilojoules in Australia* - Then I look at the sugar and the sodium. and take note of the carbs. I hesitate more over sugar and sodium *L*

I freak out because when I eat fruit my sugar goes in to the red *L* but. FRUIT IS GOOD SUGAR. ha. I am reaaally trying to cut all added sugar from my diet, my mum bought choc mint bikkies and tim tams the other day, I live with my folks, so these things STARE at me in the fridge every time I open the door. ha. It's quite challenging.

BUT. what does not kill us will only make us stronger. and. I will be strong.
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    I'm a food label freak.
    I'm allergic to everything under the sun AND counting calories. I will absolutely find a treat that doesn't have ANYTHING I'm allergic to in it and think "I can have that, it's been a long time since I've had a bagel. Do it, Buy IT!" and then I read the calorie content... "230 calories for a BAGEL and that doesn't include the sunflower butter I'll slather it in... Maybe I can just use jam... that's stll like close to 300 calories and I won't get any real fruit..." :grumble: Put it back, pick it up, put it back walk away. Pass again look at the label again, "HOLY SODIUM! :noway: 500mg of SODIUM. Oh. Put it back." Get in the car... "damn it I want a bagel." :ohwell:
  • carolww
    carolww Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I could totally justify a yummy healthy bar at 155 calories... Its sometimes hard to fit them in and still be below calories, but thats where the exercise comes in. If I've eaten everything healthy all day... I'll have whatever I want to eat to use up my exercise calories... Would probably draw the line at pecan pie though....
  • Caperfae
    Caperfae Posts: 433
    Options
    I do that exact same thing.
    Sometimes I feel slightly neurotic @ the grocery store and it takes me forever to do my shopping because I'm constantly reading labels. Hubby just shakes his head and my daughter gets bored and cranky during the whole process.
    Foods that I used to love no longer make it to the cart. I think twice before buying things, asking myself if it's worth the number of calories.