7 days a week cardio?

Options
hey everyone.
i do cardio seven days a week. i have been told that i need to have a rest day, but i do that for my weight training, not my cardio. i actually LIKE working out seven days a week. i don't want to stop. lol... what does everyone think? today would be my off day but i already have all my workout gear on. (:

ps. add me as a friend! i need more friends. (:
amanda

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    If you are feeling happy and comfortable and are not injuring anything, go on :) Of course it is ok.
  • spacecataz_
    Options
    As long as you aren't hurting yourself or injured, I don't see why you would have to have a rest day from cardio. If you like 7 days a week, I'd continue with that.
  • tyrsnbdr
    tyrsnbdr Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    rest days don't mean staying in bed and watching tv all day. Active rest is just an easier day than the others.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    It's easy to get burned out pushing yourself too hard. As long as it's not an all or nothing mentality.
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Like you, I do 45 minutes of cardio 7 days per week. Three times per week I do a second cardio + weight training. I make sure to have rest days between those sessions.

Both my doctor and personal trainer say this is OK as long as I don't have any injuries.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    You need "recovery time", which is not the same as a "rest day". That just means days where you reduce intensity or volume.

If you are doing cardio at the same intensity and duration every day, then you are not being as effective as you could be anyway. A good balanced program should include endurance workouts, interval workouts, and tempo workouts. If you are doing a balanced program, you should have some "easy" days built in.

If you manage your program, and have the desire, then it is possible to work out every day. However, you are always at a higher risk for becoming stale with overtraining, so you should be aware of the signs and symptoms of overtraining, and be prepared to take a full break if it becomes necessary.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    What they all said. But listen to your body, and do allow yourself a day off if you feel like you need it.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    what type of cardio? if it's low impact stuff on your joints then go for it until your body tells you otherwise.
    stuff like elliptical, rowing, stationary bike, arc trainer and walking arent going to be doing too much damage to your joints depending on what your intensity level is.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    If it's working for you, do it. If it's not working for you, don't do it.

Not all cardio is the same, not all bodies are the same, and not all goals are the same.

I know I'm going to be going to at least 6 days a week cardio (target goal of 8 days per week... eh, eh? heh.) but that's going to be because I'm training a few different sports, and I feel relatively good about active recovery.