Weight Watchers

Options
My company is teaming up with Weight Watchers and are going to bring a WW coach here and do everything in the building for convince. The cost is $150. If we lost 20 pounds or more during the duration (4 months I think) the company will reimburse us the full $150. My question is: What are the meetings like?

Replies

• Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Pretty bad. Not to be a downer, but it's a lot of sharing your points log and whining about what you messed up and/or how you didn't lose weight. It's kind of like this website, actually :P

All the programs that include groups and meetings generally resemble one another.
  • Teddy3931
    Teddy3931 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    It all depends -- a great leader and group participation make for great meetings. I found them useful - getting tips from other people, but I had a wonderful leader.
  • deadyankee
    Options
    They expect you to fail and repeat ad finitum. It's their business model.
  • beckytcy
    beckytcy Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I did WW at work and loved it. It was motivating to weigh in with the leader. I disagree with the person who said that WW expects you to fail and sign up for more sessions. I lost 30 pounds on WW at work five years ago and have not gained back a single pound. (I joined MyFitnessPal a few months ago because I want to lose a bit more weight,but I am still at my Weight Watchers "lifetime" goal weight.) I didn't buy the WW products (waste of money and they are filled with chemicals); I just tracked everything using their system. It's similar to MyFitnessPal, so you can do the same thing for free on your own, but I did find it helpful to talk with people in real life because you are more accountable. Good luck!
  • bettyjoburdett
    bettyjoburdett Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Such negative feedback! WW has the best success rate of all weight loss groups. It is based on a healthy diet developed for people with diabetes. The weigh ins are private, the encouragement is great, and best of all if you follow the plan you will lose weight at a healthy pace.

What a great incentive to be able to be reinbursed by your company! Good luck in whatever you decide.
  • Charloo1990
    Charloo1990 Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    It all depends -- a great leader and group participation make for great meetings. I found them useful - getting tips from other people, but I had a wonderful leader.
    Yeah i agree with this. I've just joined WW and i enjoyed the meeting tbh. Also lost 6lbs in my first week so was a very happy bunny!
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,412 Member
    Options
    Depends on your leader, but I've lost weight on WW before and find it pretty simple. If they offered this at my work, I'd jump for it!
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Weight Watchers is a great support system and you should give it a try if you can afford it. Especially with people at work who can encourage you! Good luck!
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I did not like WW at all. Our leader was a complainer. I have friends that LOVE it.
  • tapirfrog
    tapirfrog Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    You know how in high school you had to take certain classes, couldn't get out of them, and the teacher (and to a lesser extent the other students) made the difference between a terrible class and a wonderful one? Same way with WW meetings. The leaders and other members completely make the difference. Your experience can suck or it can be wonderful, all depending on who's directing it.

I knew a couple of the people in my local WW group and no effing way was I going to sit in a room with them voluntarily, so I did mine online. My first 25 pounds came off quite nicely with WW online, and I never bought their prepackaged overprocessed crap either, just cooked my own food and was honest about how much I put in my mouth.
  • Hozman121
    Hozman121 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I agree that a great leader makes a great meeting. There is always a topic of the week that is discussed and if anyone has anything they want to share with group. Ours were always 30-40 minutes. To get full reimbursement from your company I would be all over this. WW is easy to follow if you follow it. I found it to easy to "cheat" myself and not stay on plan.
  • Charloo1990
    Options
    I know i've already commented but i actually think WW is awsome. I've gone from binging nearly every day to totally getting back on track cause the class totally motivates me and especially getting weighed infront of someone else really makes me want to stay on track and not eat little extras or go pickin at food in the kitchen. It's been a total positive in keeping me on track so far x
  • tapirfrog
    tapirfrog Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Wait, you should also figure out how much you need to lose.

See, 20 pounds during 4 months is 5 pounds a month -- doable if you're quite overweight, but if you have only 20 pounds to lose total, it probably would be really difficult to do it without feeling utterly miserable and damaging your health or your willpower to continue.
  • Shelley6591
    Shelley6591 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I didn't like WW at all for a few different reasons. I loved an old program and lost 60 pounds incredibly fast but found it restrictive, fell off the wagon and gained every pounds back. I thought I needed to go to meeting and pay someone to be accountable to so I ended up even more frustrated. My whole world changed when I found MFP, I've lost over 40 since July and I feel like I changed mentally, I feel like I can eat whatever I want but in moderation... WW works but you have to keep it up like anything else, I'd be interested to see how many people use both and see the outcome. Good luck!
  • frando
    frando Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    my boss went and hated it, grown women saying 'ooh, I'm wearing a heavier cardie then last week' when they get weighed in and trying to loose the most to get a 'pointless accolade'.

I saw on FB an old school friend getting lots of likes and comments for 'loosing 12lbs in two weeks, so gonna win slimmer this time' I was horrified.
  • Charloo1990
    Options
    I didn't like WW at all for a few different reasons. I loved an old program and lost 60 pounds incredibly fast but found it restrictive, fell off the wagon and gained every pounds back. I thought I needed to go to meeting and pay someone to be accountable to so I ended up even more frustrated. My whole world changed when I found MFP, I've lost over 40 since July and I feel like I changed mentally, I feel like I can eat whatever I want but in moderation... WW works but you have to keep it up like anything else, I'd be interested to see how many people use both and see the outcome. Good luck!

I can see where you're coming from tbh. WW says I'm entitled to 27points a day. So I tested it, logged my cals as well as points counting and my 27points pretty much equates to 950cals for the day which isnt a lot really. Fruit and veg is free but unfortunately I don't like veg but regardless I just do it my way and have a treat day once a week which works for me
  • LeslieB042812
    LeslieB042812 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    I did WW at work and loved it. It was motivating to weigh in with the leader. I disagree with the person who said that WW expects you to fail and sign up for more sessions. I lost 30 pounds on WW at work five years ago and have not gained back a single pound. (I joined MyFitnessPal a few months ago because I want to lose a bit more weight,but I am still at my Weight Watchers "lifetime" goal weight.) I didn't buy the WW products (waste of money and they are filled with chemicals); I just tracked everything using their system. It's similar to MyFitnessPal, so you can do the same thing for free on your own, but I did find it helpful to talk with people in real life because you are more accountable. Good luck!

I totally agree. The best thing about WW at work (that makes it different from other WW meetings) is that you're doing it together with your coworkers. I lost 25 lbs, as did several of my coworkers. It was very encouraging. We all kept it off for a long time, too. I've only gained it back due to some health problems and stress, but that was after 2 years of being at my lowest weight ever. It definitely helps to have your natural community (work folks) losing with you.
  • Mother_Warrior
    Mother_Warrior Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    As everyone else has pretty much said, it all depends on the Leader. In all honesty I don't think it's worth it. (Even WITH a great leader) The first time I tried weight watchers I had a phenomenal leader, and group for that matter! I lost 50 pounds that time! I have tried it a few more times over the years, but I always quit because I found calculating points pointless (lol) and the leaders sucked! The meetings were so lame and boring! Also there might be a different dynamic since you'll be doing these meetings with co-workers....
  • LeslieB042812
    LeslieB042812 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    You know how in high school you had to take certain classes, couldn't get out of them, and the teacher (and to a lesser extent the other students) made the difference between a terrible class and a wonderful one? Same way with WW meetings. The leaders and other members completely make the difference. Your experience can suck or it can be wonderful, all depending on who's directing it.

I knew a couple of the people in my local WW group and no effing way was I going to sit in a room with them voluntarily, so I did mine online. My first 25 pounds came off quite nicely with WW online, and I never bought their prepackaged overprocessed crap either, just cooked my own food and was honest about how much I put in my mouth.

This is so true!!!! the leader and other people you do it with makes all the difference. Also, their pre-packaged foods are not good, but you don't need to use them.