Coconut oil for weight loss?

Options
Has anyone tried this?

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Yeah, totally. Nothing says losing weight like mowing through some super trendy fat.
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    What about it? I smother it on my face everyday, but I don't think that's contributed to my weight loss. Just include it in your overall calories and I think you'll be good.
  • fatasstrophe
    fatasstrophe Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Cool sarcastic contribution dbmata.You just feel really great now. And I'm super impressed. but obviously I'm not asking out of the blue, there's studies suggesting that adding two tbsp a day to your plan, although its high in cals, can help attack belly fat.
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    In terms of product, oil is oil. Cooking with coconut oil has no benefits greater or lesser than cooking with say, olive oil. It's not a magical weightloss product.

And for the "attacking belly fat" part, you cannot spot reduce on your body. Your weight will come off where it wants to.

On the plus side, cooking with coconut oil is pretty tasty. And using it as a moisturizer or in your hair is wonderful :wink:
  • fatasstrophe
    Options
    What about it? I smother it on my face everyday, but I don't think that's contributed to my weight loss. Just include it in your overall calories and I think you'll be good.

I think I'm going to try it
  • KatherinesRiver
    Options
    My neighbor gave me a little jar of this stuff. I mixed some in with my regular lotion and it was nice! Then I put some on a spoon and ate it like she suggested for "weight loss". I lost weight running back and forth to the bathroom!! It went through me like a roto rooter!!
    Maybe that is the key. Your food doesn't have time to be absorbed?:bigsmile:
  • 4realrose8
    4realrose8 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Olive oil is great for salads and low heat, while coconut oil is better for cooking at high heat temperatures.

"Coconut oil is very different from most other cooking oils and contains a unique composition of fatty acids.

The fatty acids are about 90% saturated.

This makes coconut oil highly resistant to oxidation at high heats. For this reason, it is the perfect oil for high-heat cooking methods like frying (6).

Additionally, coconut oil consists almost entirely of Medium Chain Triglycerides (7).

These fatty acids go straight from the digestive tract to the liver, where they are likely to be turned into ketone bodies and provide a quick source of energy."

AND, it's also heart healthy, even though it's 90% saturated fat :

"Unrefined coconut oil actually improves blood lipid profiles.

In two separate rat studies, virgin coconut oil was compared against copra oil (refined coconut oil) and corn oil.

The virgin coconut oil significantly reduced Total and LDL cholesterol, oxidized LDL, triglycerides and increased HDL (the good) cholesterol (12).

It also had favorable effects on blood coagulation factors and antioxidant status (13).

In a study of women with abdominal obesity, coconut oil increased HDL and lowered the LDL:HDL ratio, while soybean oil increased Total and LDL cholesterol and decreased HDL (14).

Medium chain triglycerides (the fats in coconut oil) have also been shown to reduce blood triglycerides compared to long chain fats (15).

Coconut oil may be protective against heart disease, not the other way around."

source here http://authoritynutrition.com/why-is-coconut-oil-good-for-you/
  • fatasstrophe
    Options
    My neighbor gave me a little jar of this stuff. I mixed some in with my regular lotion and it was nice! Then I put some on a spoon and ate it like she suggested for "weight loss". I lost weight running back and forth to the bathroom!! It went through me like a roto rooter!!
    Maybe that is the key. Your food doesn't have time to be absorbed?:bigsmile:
    hahaga maybe!
  • TeriaShae
    TeriaShae Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Tried this and I liked it, didn't notice any significant weight loss, but my advice is to just be sure what you plan on cooking it in!

I tried putting it in my veggies instead of olive oil and it did NOT turn out!
    I read online coconut oil is mainly only a good oil substitute for baking!
  • poesch77
    poesch77 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I have made eggs with it. Tasted great. I have also put a tsp in my coffee.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I use it to make fat-bombs, have used it in my pumpkin curry soup and I put a tablespoon of it in my coffee every morning, along with a tablespoon of butter. YUM!
  • crsawinton
    crsawinton Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I've started using it, I fry with it and make my body butter with it, but I'm not sure if it helps anything. I have read that it's supposed to help with weight loss, although I'm not sure how that's supposed to work, I do believe it's a healthier replacement for canola oil or veg. oil.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    Options
    Cool sarcastic contribution dbmata.You just feel really great now. And I'm super impressed. but obviously I'm not asking out of the blue, there's studies suggesting that adding two tbsp a day to your plan, although its high in cals, can help attack belly fat.
    Coconut oil is metabolized bu the body differently from other oils because of the high medium chain triglyceride content. The body basically oxidizes MCT's as immediate ATP (energy) and doesn't get stored, which is what happens when we consume most fats. The effect is real, just not applicable in real life for reducing belly fat.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Target belly fat. I bet, I think Dr. Oz talked about that.

Eating a fat, regardless of how tasty it is will not suddenly cause weight loss, divide by zero, or magically target fat loss. Everyone knows that.

Want to lose weight? Eat less, move more. Want to use a super trendy, but rather decent tasting fat? Coconut oil is nice. SMH.
  • mmcdonald700
    mmcdonald700 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I use it to make fat-bombs, have used it in my pumpkin curry soup and I put a tablespoon of it in my coffee every morning, along with a tablespoon of butter. YUM!

I don;t know what fat bombs are and I'm afraid to find out.... BUT GOOD LORD you put a whole tbsp of butter AND coconut oil in your coffee? I'm not a picky eater and I'm open to experimentation but the idea of buttery oily coffee in the morning is enough to make me gag haha. One or the other is bad enough but both!? I guess in a way adding dairy to your coffee is sort of like that except it also has protein and... it's not as salty as butter...Anyway, to each their own I suppose :) just never heard of that before!
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    I COULDN'T AFFORD TWO TEASPOONS A DAY. IM TRYIN TO EAT AT A CALORIE DEFICIT HERE.
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I think it's SO funny that people talk about eating at basically starvation level and eating everything low-fat and then stuff like this comes along. Classic.

Thing is, dietary fat doesn't make you gain fat. Carbs do that (you still need carbs). So, you could have coconut oil. Or olive oil. Grapeseed oil. Peanut oil. Corn oil. BUTTER. Doesn't matter, won't hurt you, just fit it into your calorie allowance.

As someone else has said, coconut oil is great for your skin - any oil is, but coconut oil feels nice. Slather yourself in it.
  • takumaku
    takumaku Posts: 352 Member
    Options

I don;t know what fat bombs are and I'm afraid to find out.... BUT GOOD LORD you put a whole tbsp of butter AND coconut oil in your coffee? I'm not a picky eater and I'm open to experimentation but the idea of buttery oily coffee in the morning is enough to make me gag haha. One or the other is bad enough but both!? I guess in a way adding dairy to your coffee is sort of like that except it also has protein and... it's not as salty as butter...Anyway, to each their own I suppose :) just never heard of that before!

Try it before you knock it. Bullet coffee uses unsalted butter. I made something similar using avocado. It was a quick way to get some fat and caffeine in the morning.

When I use to drink rum, Hot Buttered Rum was a goto night cap.