pasta-less spaghetti

Options
boil a spaghetti squash then cut it in half, deseed it and tare the spaghetti noodles out. the noodles kind of have a pumpkin seed taste its very yummy I use this squash for all sorts of meals but my favorite is as spaghetti (my husband and I both think this way even tastes better than actual spaghetti) I like to keep a little crunch to it for texture but if you like real soft noodles just cook it longer ( you can also microwave the squash in a bowl with some water in it)

for the marinara I use 1 can of tomato paste and 1 of sodium free tomato sauce then I add my own seasoning to it. to mine I also add el pato jalapeño sauce for spice but that's up to you.

for the meat I use either ground chicken or ground turkey but it wouldn't be bad with a good grade of beef.

I go by the serving sizes and with using the 1 spaghetti squash and the 2 cans of tomato it made about 6-8 servings of spaghetti plus left over squash for salads or breakfast bowls ect. with one cup of the spaghetti squash and about half a cup of the meat sauce the entrée was under 100 calories total which is filling and leaves a ton of room for your sides calorie wise.

Replies

• Tim964
    Tim964 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    An even easier way to cook a spaghetti squash is to poke it several times with a knife or a meat fork (being sure to get to the center of the squash), and then microwave it whole. Once its cooked, its much easier to cut in half and scoop out the seeds.
  • angelchipps
    angelchipps Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    spaghetti squash is awesome to sub pasta,... but it makes me PEE ALL NIGHT LONG! hahaha, Its great for lunch though!
  • Hozman121
    Hozman121 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    We do stuffed spaghetti squash a lot. I find a small one and cut in half and bake in oven. While baking I take turkey italian sausage, garlic, onions, mushrooms, a can sauce and make that as my stuffing. I add just enough sauce but want it thick and chunky. When squash is done I fill cavity of both halves with mixture and place some low moisture low fast mozz or parm on top and place back in oven on broil to get it all gooey.

Also this: http://www.prevention.com/food/cook/20-classic-fall-recipes?s=10

Its on page 10, shaghetti squash casserole. Instead of tomatoes I use rotel and then add some rotisserie chicken. My kids love this.
  • rww59
    rww59 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I bought the http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Zucchini+Spiral+Slicer&FORM=RESTAB.

Makes great spaghetti with ground venisen
  • Urban_Princess
    Urban_Princess Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    if you can find it in your area try Explore Asian Black Bean Spaghetti. I don't like spaghetti in general but my boyfriend swears by it. It is only made out of black bean. I have tried, and absolutely love, the mung bean fettuccine