Can I LOSE Fat and BUILD Lean Muscle at the Same Time? If so

Options
Hi there!

I'm pretty new to this site but I LOVE it so far! I've completely changed my diet around and am eating very natural and high-protein. I do a nice variety between cardio and strength every day. Please check over my profile to see what I'm doing to lose weight so far and check a few days of my food log.

My question is...can I continue to lose fat off my body and still gain some lean muscle mass? Nothing like a woman body builder...just to look a bit more like Jillian Michaels (toned, sexy). I found this website today and it says its possible, but it doesn't give any actual directions unless you buy the product (http://www.burnthefatinnercircle.com/holygrail/now.cfm?affID=peertrain).

Does anyone have any tips for me? If this is possible, how should I change my diet/workouts to make this feasible? Much appreciated, thanks.

- J

Replies

• tessjordan88
    tessjordan88 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I would think just doing some basic body-building excercises mixed with some cardio to trim the fat should do both for you just fine. Jillian Michaels does circuit training, which is both, I believe. Just keep up with what you're doing and you will be doing a lot better than me! :)

You are doing GREAT, and you are a role model for all of us here! Keep up the good work!
  • leanmass24
    leanmass24 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Your diet looks good...I am not seeing any strength training in your exercise diary. I would alernate between cardio and strength everyday (IE cardio one day, and weights the next) and have at least one day off a week to recover. I like kettlebells for strength training. You work alot more muscle groups with them... You can look up some of the exercises on youtube or whatever. Because the weight is off center they feel abit heavier then the weight says on the side. Try one out and see if you like it. It is a great tool to have IMO. Plus it gets your heart rate up too depending on what kind of workout you do with them. Hope this helps
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    You need to alternate cardio with strength training. I do a 30 minute circuit (alternating step cardio and weight machines) 3 days a week followed by 30 mins of just cardio. Then I do 60 minutes of cardio on alternating days. I've lost 8.5 pounds in 8 weeks and am seeing fat loss and definition in my arm and leg muscles.
  • Jourdan_Rystrom
    Jourdan_Rystrom Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Thanks...

I actually do strength training every day. Usually about 45-hour of cardio and then go up to the strength room to work one part of the body each day (upper, lower, or core). On days when I'm not at the gym, I'm doing Jillian Michaels circuit training which mixes cardio with a lot of weights/strength moves.

Unfortunately at my gym unless you pay big $$ for the kettlebells classes led by instructors, we're not allowed to use them. They claim its not safe if we don't have the proper technique and we could hurt ourselves. I do the free demos though :D
  • chris2991
    Options
    Continue to exercise while you're dieting, lifting weights would be best, and as long as you’re getting suitable nutrition you should gain muscles and only lose fat. You don't need to go heavy just use light weights for multiple reps, which though personal experience I find is best for toning muscles without adding a lot of bulk. The secret is to find what works best for you
  • KeepOnMoving
    KeepOnMoving Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    They say more muscle burns more fat. So if the scales don't budge, check your measurement to see if you loose inches or clothes fit looser. Muscle weighs more than fat but our ultimate goal should not be what the scales say. How we look and feel. I think your doing a great job! Keep up the good work! :smile:
  • leanmass24
    Options
    Thanks...

I actually do strength training every day. Usually about 45-hour of cardio and then go up to the strength room to work one part of the body each day (upper, lower, or core). On days when I'm not at the gym, I'm doing Jillian Michaels circuit training which mixes cardio with a lot of weights/strength moves.

Unfortunately at my gym unless you pay big $$ for the kettlebells classes led by instructors, we're not allowed to use them. They claim its not safe if we don't have the proper technique and we could hurt ourselves. I do the free demos though :D

As with any free weights if you do not use proper technique you can hurt yourself. Just go buy a 10-20lb kettlebell.I got mine from walmart they run between $20-40 depending on weight. There are tons of free online videos that will show you how to use them... Mine came with a sheet of exercises also and when you can get in on the free classes you can take what you learn there and use it at home. I take mine to work and use it. They are much better then dumbells IMO. Alot more can be done with them and you can use them just like regular dumbells if you chose to.

Edit: Also if you are trying to lose fat and gain muscle then I would have my goals set to only lose one lb a week at the most. The reason for this is to make sure that you are getting enough calories to grow muscle. If you dont eat enough your body will burn muscle to make up for the calorie deficit.
  • scottjames84
    Options
    What about resistance bands?
  • leanmass24
    Options
    Resistance bands are great also :)
  • BoresEasily
    Options

Edit: Also if you are trying to lose fat and gain muscle then I would have my goals set to only lose one lb a week at the most. The reason for this is to make sure that you are getting enough calories to grow muscle. If you dont eat enough your body will burn muscle to make up for the calorie deficit.

You can't lose weight and add muscle at the same time. One requires a calorie deficit and the other requires a surplus. Muscle increases your metabolism and burns more fat while at rest. But to build muscle you must have a surplus of calories.
  • leanmass24
    Options

You can't lose weight and add muscle at the same time. One requires a calorie deficit and the other requires a surplus. Muscle increases your metabolism and burns more fat while at rest. But to build muscle you must have a surplus of calories.

Well you need to tell that to my muscles then.... cause some of them have gotten bigger :P
  • BoresEasily
    Options
    No, you have lost fat and they have started to show. So they look like they've gotten bigger.
  • leanmass24
    Options
    No they have definately gotten bigger... They are deffinately bigger then when I started... they are physically bigger not just looks. I have had at least 7 weeks since I started when I didnt lose any weight where my muscles got bigger and my clothes fit better. I gained muscle mass. I didnt lose weight but I did gain muscle. I know alot of people say it cant be done, but it is not true. my chest was 48" when I started now it is 50".
  • alantin
    alantin Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    It is pretty much a fact that you can't lose fat and build muscle at the same time. Though, beginners are quicker to put on muscle than an advanced bodybuilder so I suppose you could gain some too just as a response to the new exercise..

I skimmed the article and even though I usually immediately think that it's just BS if it tries to sell me something with too incredible results ( :laugh: ), there was something that caught my eye:
    New Breakthrough In "Cyclical Dieting" And
    "Nutrient Timing" Flips Your Metabolic and Hormonal Switches, Allowing You To Burn Fat and Build Muscle At The Same Time, Without Dangerous Drugs...
    Even If You Don't Have Fitness Model Genetics

One important keyword here would be "Cyclical Dieting" which would mean that you'd for example, eat 500 Kcal a day minus calories for two weeks to lose weight, then switch to 500 Kcal a day plus calories for one week to build muscle. Then just start over from beginning. That's what all the bodybuilders do (although usually not in so short periods and they emphasize weight gain!) so it's nothing new.

I don't have any experience with this sort of programs though. I intend to switch to plus calories and start building muscle when I see my abbs! :wink:
  • ismar16
    Options
    I agree with you can't try to lose fat and try to build muscle believe. However, everyone is different with different bodies. I think someone pointed it out that beginners might gain muscle while trying to lose fat because they really haven't had much muscle to start with. With this in mind its your body reacting while you are lifting weights. Some might define a beginner in different ways too.
    For example I just started to show friend of mine how to lift weights and what to do, and after 1 month he switched to doing cardio every other day and weights on alternative days and he is showing signs of muscle build and some fat lose, I believe this is because he is a beginner. For those of us who been around lifting weights and have some mass on us it doesn't work. And I have tried it too. I lost weight on the scale with it, but I also noticed a drastic change in my lifting, my strength started to go down. I believe everyone is different and needs to find what works for them, take all the formulas and advice as general practice and find what works for you. I found that doing 1 month of cardio and concentrating on my ab's and doing slight weights with more repetition less weights gets me the weight loss I want with keeping my muscle. And then switch to strengths training to gain more muscle after. And fine tune it as you go along.
  • krishatherley
    Options
    i recently had a session with a personal trainer and he said the best way is to work on building your muscle AND lose fat at the same time. So it is possible. peolpe who mix the two lose more than people who just blitz cardio over and over he was telling me.
  • SarahNicole317
    SarahNicole317 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    No, you have lost fat and they have started to show. So they look like they've gotten bigger.

Actually you can. This thread has been started before and people were all over my *kitten* so I asked an exercise physiologist. In conjunction with proper diet, lifting, and cardio you can. I think the misconception lies within "can you do it at the SAME time'. Physiologically, no... every second you won't be doing both. However, every day you may be doing both if the nutrition and workouts are right.
  • Jourdan_Rystrom
    Jourdan_Rystrom Posts: 176 Member
    Options

Actually you can. This thread has been started before and people were all over my *kitten* so I asked an exercise physiologist. In conjunction with proper diet, lifting, and cardio you can. I think the misconception lies within "can you do it at the SAME time'. Physiologically, no... every second you won't be doing both. However, every day you may be doing both if the nutrition and workouts are right.

Thanks for the input...this is what I thought was happening, cuz I definitely have HARD arms now opposed to flabby and no muscle before.