Rude to change personal trainer?

Options
Hey guys,
I've had something on my mind for a while and just can't get it out of my head.
I've recently started training at a pilates studio with an personal trainer. My friend recommended me the place and her trainer. She trained with someone before there and quit after 20 lessons because she didn't see results good enough. Now my problem.. I called the place and scheduled a lesson with a trainer and it turned out to be her first one she had trained with.
I've bought 5 lessons and just have one more to go.
I'm ok happy with my trainer and feel like he isn't bad but really need to be in fab shape fast for my job.
What should I do? I really don't want to be rude towards my trainer but kinda wanna try the other trainer out... And start thinking what if.. What if I don't like the other trainers style or something. And it's kinda mean and rude maybe?

What to you think?

Replies

• YorriaRaine
    YorriaRaine Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I guess it can be awkward if you run into them. However remember this, you are paying them for a service, not their friendship. If you don't like their service then you have no reason to feel bad about finding a new trainer.

Also keep in mind, if you feel like your trainer isn't doing it for you, don't be afraid to ask that trainer if you can try something different. If you don't give feedback then nothing is going to change with that trainer.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Your first mistake is needing to be in "fab" shape for your job, quickly. Way to set the trainer up for failure - you need to have realistic expectations and not miracles.
  • Eva1991H
    Options
    Yes you both are so right... I should tell him that he can push me more and I can't expect it to happen all over night.
    But there is just a little thing nagging me when I think, am I making the right decision staying with him also since my friend wasn't feeling happy.. It's just so stupid really.
  • crash_aly
    Options
    I have worked with about 7 different trainers. 5 of which were at the same gym. It can be very awkward to change but you have to do what you think is best for you.

There are several things to consider when not getting results from a trainer...
    1 - What are you doing on days you don't work with the trainer
    2- What are your eating habits.

Both of those could make a difference in why your friend wasn't seeing results. Also, be open to communicating with the trainer. Most of them are decent with people because that's a huge part of their job. Be very upfront about your goals and ASK their opinions. They are the professionals and be open to listening to what they have to say. Ask them for what they think realistic expectations are and what you should be looking for results wise in 1 month, or whatever time frame.

Also, you can always schedule with the other trainer and just see what they are like. Spend 1-2 sessions with them and then decide which trainer you prefer. Or ask them a few questions when they have some free time at the gym. Maybe one has more experience in the area you are most trying to improve. I have a lot of old injuries so I prefer to work with trainers that have a work history that reflects modifying exercises to keep me from having more issues and can help me strengthen these areas.

Also, chances are if you aren't THAT happy with this trainer than they might already get that sense from you. You can choose to give them a heads up that you are going to try the other trainer or you can just change your appointments over. The gym I workout at has online scheduling so when I changed from my last trainer to my current one it was pretty smooth. He saw me a couple of times working with the new trainer and asked why I switched and I just told him that his schedule no longer worked with mine (it was true). Being honest and just telling him that you want to see what it is like to train with someone else wouldn't be rude. It is good to get variety and learn new things from other trainers. Honestly, I would keep looking until you found someone you really enjoyed working with. Good luck!
  • BluesGuitar
    Options
    Your money and your body... do what makes you comfortable.

"Hey 'Joe' just wanted to let you know that in order to keep me motivated I'd like to insert a bit of variety into my workouts over the next few months, so I'm going to try out one or two of the other trainers in house before I commit to anyone long term."... or something similar. Obviously, he'll say that he can increase the variety, but you just say that you've though about it and that's how you are going to approach it. Stay firm.

If he reacts professional about it, great. You might actually find out that he is better than the rest, and your friend's opinion was flawed. If he reacts badly to it, it just confirms that the guy just wasn't the right fit.

This is too important for you to feel timid about.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    so your friend went there and stopped after 20 lessons because she did not have results, and then recommends the place that she did not have results at to you, and you then go to said place where said friend did not have good results? Do I have that correct..? I am slightly confused…

that would be like if I asked my friend how the new mexican restaurant is and he said "the food was horrible, and the service terrible, but you should go check it out" and then I go check it out and say "it was not that good, the food was horrible and the service was terrible….
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    She trained with someone before there and quit after 20 lessons because she didn't see results good enough.

Since "results" are largely due to a proper diet, trainers aren't necessarily to blame when people don't get results.
    Also, her expectations may have been too high.
  • jsickman12
    jsickman12 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Its business, it isn't personal, you are spendig your money, you should be satisfied 100%
  • Eva1991H
    Options
    Thanks for your help!
    It's a pretty small place that has about 7 trainers (only 2 speak english)
    They do everything pretty personal it's one of the best in town. The trainer of my friend is really good and a lot of people train with him. My friend recommended me her trainer she's training with now not mine. She told me he was a bit soft.
    For me Im shaking at the end of the lesson but feel like I'm not feeling like its super hardcore. . Maybe it needs more time also the results (Trained for 2X2 weeks and my diet is pretty good)
    I can't really say the schedule wasn't working because we just text the trainers to see if there free. I do have both there numbers..

I don't really know if my expectations realistic, I really just need someone to push me and tone me up. I'm almost at my perfect weight (130 and 5'10)
    Perhaps I'll just give the other trainer a text when mine says he's booked for the day.
    Don't think that's rude right..
    Wish I was more firm haha
  • Eva1991H
    Options
    I know she was a bit chubby when she started. But after she switched she felt like it was going better for her and making real results.
  • KeepCalmNGetyaSweatOn
    Options
    Also keep in mind, if you feel like your trainer isn't doing it for you, don't be afraid to ask that trainer if you can try something different. If you don't give feedback then nothing is going to change with that trainer.

^^^This completely.

Just be honest with the guy and tell him you feel like you aren't be challenged enough. Ask him if there is anything more he can have you do/recommend? I guarantee he will kick your butt after that! LOL Something totally unrelated but I went to school for massage therapy. Something they teach you as a massage therapist is to do what the client wants you to do. I can't tell you how many times I have heard people say they don't like getting massages because the therapist is to rough, or too soft, or doesn't do something they want. Well the person can't read your mind. You gotta speak up! Ask him to give you a difficult workout and he probably will :flowerforyou: As far as asking for another trainer goes it's your right. If you won't feel awkward seeing the guy around then ask to switch if you want.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I don't know that Pilates is the quickest route to fab shape. I tell my trainer my goals, and we work towards achieving those goals. Being at a Pilates studio, I just don't see that as a way to get in shape, quickly or otherwise. I think it's great for strength and balance, but you need something more hardcore to see real results.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    She trained with someone before there and quit after 20 lessons because she didn't see results good enough.

Since "results" are largely due to a proper diet, trainers aren't necessarily to blame when people don't get results.
    Also, her expectations may have been too high.

IDK I have seen some trainers recommend some pretty bunk stuff…the trainers in my gym never take their trainees anywhere near the power rack or have them deadlifting…they are always doing light weights at about a zillion reps….that does not seem like it is going to help them progress….
  • ndj1979
    Options
    what are your goals OP?

Do you want to life heavy with compound movements …or do a bunch of cardio based movements, flexibility/balance, etc..?
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    Id switch. If you're doubting the trainer you're probably going to give it less effort. Keep in mind that if you become a nuisance they may just give you whatever you want rather than what they think would be most effective [as a training plan]. Your money still spends, regardless.

Lots of trainers suck. Most of the best ones I've met were in excellent shape and had competed at some point in their life. They were all athletes of some sort who had been trained themselves (not just been accredited for some certification)
  • Eva1991H
    Options
    The problem is that I can't get too 'bulky'
    I'm working as a model so need lean muscles. So pilates is really perfect for shaping and tightening the body
    I've still have a bit if extra weight on my hips legs and stomach. Believe it or not but I even have some lovehandels I need to get rid of!!
    So I need is to do cardio and strength, bit like a boot camp haha

I'll try and tell him and see what happens. I'm flying out soon (1-2) weeks for a new trip so wanna be in the best shape I can be
  • ndj1979
    Options
    The problem is that I can't get too 'bulky'
    I'm working as a model so need lean muscles. So pilates is really perfect for shaping and tightening the body
    I've still have a bit if extra weight on my hips legs and stomach. Believe it or not but I even have some lovehandels I need to get rid of!!
    So I need is to do cardio and strength, bit like a boot camp haha

I'll try and tell him and see what happens. I'm flying out soon (1-2) weeks for a new trip so wanna be in the best shape I can be

if you are eating in a deficit you are not going to get "bulky"…as far as lean muscles..you can't make them leaner…your muscles are what they are going to be …

I am curious, if you are model how did you let yourself get out of shape to the point where you need to get back into it so quickly?

If you are eating in a deficit you would benefit from a program of heavy lifting built around compound movements....it will tighten your body up and get rid of body fat….
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    Flying out in 1-2 weeks? WTF does that mean?

Most people know what day they're flying. Not much is gonna happen in a week. You must be trolling

F this thread.
  • Eva1991H
    Options
    I was actually never 'super skinny. Now have to be in my best shape so have to change things. I actually used to be a bit fat a few years ago.
    If I lift heavy weights I'll get bigger muscles. Even from running 3-4 times a week 40 min I'll get too much leg muscles
    I won't want to look muscular
  • Eva1991H
    Options
    Flying out as in flying to a new country to model there for a few months. Depends on my results