Workout attire that helps prevent chafing?

Options
My husband recently started working out at our local gym. His cardio consists of primarily walking/jogging intervals. He has complained that his inner thighs are chafed after most workouts. I recommended he start using deodorant as an anti-chafing method and that seems to help him, but I was also curious if there is any type of workout gear that could also help him with chafing, like a particular style of shorts or pants. Any advice is appreciated!

Replies

• QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    Some sort of compression shorts/spandex is what has worked best for me. You can wear them under a pair of basketball shorts.
  • _Danno_
    _Danno_ Posts: 165
    Options
    I used to get this when I first started running and compression shorts under my normal gym shorts sorted it.
  • RunMyOregonBunsOff
    RunMyOregonBunsOff Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    My husband would be miserable without compression shorts. Nike makes some awesome ones. My husband likes them better than under armor shorts.
  • cdstaufenbiel
    cdstaufenbiel Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! I'll recommend that to my husband. Appreciate your advice!
  • Kirk_R
    Kirk_R Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I sometimes use the long lycra shorts and sometimes use 2 Toms Sport Shield, which is a roll on that keeps you from chafing. You can get Sport Shield at running stores, amazon, etc. Of course, it's also useful for avoiding chafing other places too (e.g., my arms rub my sides, no biggie on a short run but murder after a couple hours).
  • FitnessChelsey
    Options
    I love BodyGlide - it prevents blisters and chaffing and comes in different products for both men and women. I even used it on vacation last year! It works wonders.
  • rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I will second bodyglide and compression shorts. Bodyglide also works great for blisters on your toes and feet.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    first off, they're compression underwear. i feel the need to point that out, because i've see a bunch of people that believe that compression shorts are proper outerwear. i assure you, they are not.

also, like others have mentioned, body glide is good, but i like aquaphor. water based, so it's a little easier on sensitive skin.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Agreed.......... compression shorts and I also use Body Glide, they are the two things I use...... Best of Luck
  • Kirk_R
    Kirk_R Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Sport Shield beats Bodyglide by a wide margin in my own tests. ;) I have a stick of Bodyglide somewhere but will probably never use it again. I recommend at least giving Sport Shield a try if you're currently using Bodyglide...
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    first off, they're compression underwear. i feel the need to point that out, because i've see a bunch of people that believe that compression shorts are proper outerwear. i assure you, they are not.

also, like others have mentioned, body glide is good, but i like aquaphor. water based, so it's a little easier on sensitive skin.

Omgosh me too!!!
    This guy at one of my gyms wears them and a t shirt that's not quite long enough. And the "shorts" are really short too. And it's just awkward.

So please wear basketball shorts over them.

My ex liked his underarmour ones a lot
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    When I was starting out, the thing that helped the most was GOOD compression shorts. If he transitions into longer runs and jogs and he starts getting nipple soreness, a good compression shirt will help that.

I've heard people say they like bodyglide and the likes, I've never personally used it.

EDIT: To add to the other comments - yes, YES! It's a gym, not a sausage-fest. Please wear some loose fit shorts over your compression-wear.

As for a brand, I like my compression shorts to run long, Under Armor makes a nice "long" compression short that has an extra couple inches of inseam. Not the 3/4 leg knickers, just a little longer (10 1/2 vs 8 inch inseam or something like that).
  • PrairieRunner2015
    PrairieRunner2015 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Some sort of compression shorts/spandex is what has worked best for me. You can wear them under a pair of basketball shorts.

I highly recommend this! I bought my first pair a couple of weeks ago and wish I would've bought them when I first started..... I no longer walk kind of funny after a run/jog/walk :).