"go to" when your calories are too low for the day?

Options
I've been following Bob Harper's Skinny Rules (somewhat) and tracking my calories on MFP. What I've noticed is that most days, if I've stuck to his guidelines, my calories are too low for the day (around 900). Everything I've learned before (and the nightly message from MFP) tells me that anything under 1200 is a big "no-no". Now before anyone gets to bashing me for the Skinny Rules, I am only using them as a guideline and for recipes. It's just another tool like MFP to give me some ideas -- I don't swear by it like it is THE key to weight loss. My question is ... does anyone else find themselves too low on calories at the end of the day on ANY eating plan and if so, what is your "go to" snack to finish out your day?

Replies

• KudraM
    KudraM Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    String cheese. Edit: and if I'm really hungry and haven't been able to eat due to work, etc. (rarely), I'll down a muscle milk just to keep my levels up and out of starvation.
  • UmmSqueaky
    UmmSqueaky Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Before I added a protein smoothie into my routine, I would always end the day with a serving of cashews and a serving of chocolate chips - 250 calories and it satisfied both sweet and salty cravings.
  • Lizzard_77
    Lizzard_77 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I try not to snack but if I am too low I will have a spoonful of coconut oil or some type of nut butter. I also enjoy a cup bulletproof tea to bump up the cals and healthy fats.
  • EMTFreakGirl
    EMTFreakGirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    1/2 Cup Ricotta with a package of Dole Strawberry Dippers blended in, with a splash of vanilla extract.
    or
    1/2 Cup Ricotta with a TBSP of Philly Pumpkin Spice Cream cheese, blended up! Both a total YUM!!!!
  • kristilynnhales
    kristilynnhales Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Raw Pecans: Filling and a Calorie boost
  • CocoLaMocha
    Options
    peanuts or peanut butter. They're quick fixes if you're not hungry but need the calories :smile:
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Cheese
    Hummus
    Granola
    Nuts
    Pasta
    Pesto
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Chocolate
    Ice cream
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    ice cream
  • HappyNewTamera2014
    Options
    Eat a serving of some type of nut everyday. You will go over on fat macro but it is good fat. Same with an avocado. Olive oil.

EDIT: nuts go well inmany things....salads....cereal.....stir fry.....smoothies.....that one serving of nuts a day has kept me very close to RDI.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    This has literally never happened to me. :laugh:

But if it did, ice cream would probably be my go-to.
  • 2tired2think
    2tired2think Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thanks! All good and yummy ideas, although I did giggle at the ice cream and chocolate. I'm trying to eat relatively clean, so maybe once a week I could have that ice cream.... mmmmmmmmm. :laugh:
  • AmyZ46
    AmyZ46 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    This has literally never happened to me. :laugh:

But if it did, ice cream would probably be my go-to.

Ha haaha me too !
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Ice cream, cheese, peanut butter, milk, and Pop Tarts.

Or any fast food. It's easy to make up a lot of calories at Taco Bell. I can pound 2000+ calories there easy.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Thanks! All good and yummy ideas, although I did giggle at the ice cream and chocolate. I'm trying to eat relatively clean, so maybe once a week I could have that ice cream.... mmmmmmmmm. :laugh:

Oh fine. Nuts then? Not as good as ice cream, but will do in a pinch. :flowerforyou:
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Ice cream is clean. So is chocolate.
  • gmstarr1
    gmstarr1 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Interesting topic because I've been trying to figure out something else to eat because I was too low (I'm sticking around 1200 calories a day although I'm not real strict about it if I go over). Problem is I'm not really hungry.

I was only 60 calories down so I finally settled on some sweet pickles. Other times I'll reach for cashews or almonds. Most of the time I stay away from the ice cream. :)
  • missionquestthing
    missionquestthing Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    nuts and dried fruit. dried mango is like 170 cals a serving
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options

Ice cream is clean. So is chocolate.

And delicious.
  • abarkin
    abarkin Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    sliced avocado on whole wheat toast! super easy and clean