Why is losing weight quickly a bad thing?

Options
I'm still new to starting this lifestyle change and I have been eating great compared to normal habits and focusing on protein, water, good carb/fat intake and I've lost 10 lbs in the last two weeks. I've hear both negative and positive to quick weight loss, but more so bad and I'm wondering why.

I'm looking to lose 30-40 pounds total. I know the weight loss will slow down as I get further along, but I'm thrilled with the results already.

Any feedback is appreciated!!

Replies

• Synchronicity
    Synchronicity Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Sustainability :)

It's just hard to stick to a diet. Period. Even when you're restricting your food intake by a tiny bit. It's even harder when you're restricting it by a lot.

There's some issue with malnutrition too when you're calorie intake is very low- it's hard to get the nutrients you need for optimal health.

But the main issue is that slow weight loss makes it easy to stick to your diet.
  • lmhbuss
    lmhbuss Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Rapid weight loss also tends to lead to looser, saggier skin. Of course, that's more for people who have a fair amount to lose.
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Congratulations. I think you are doing fine. Good luck!
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Theres nothing wrong with losing 2-3lb's a week. Just the problem is can you get to your goal weight and be able to maintain which is a problem for alot of people unless. Also you have to worry about losing muscle mass by dropping weight fast which in the long run is a bad thing since your losing muscle & fat and just not fat. Losing it at a slower pace generally means you'll be able to maintain your goal weight in the longer run.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,013 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with quick weight loss, it's actually quite encouraging for most people. The negative side for the most part is that the calorie deficit that is generally required for quick weight loss is not sustainable and with the availability of food all around us people tend to eat and binge which effect the psychology of dieting and many beat themselves up over it and end up regaining some or all of the weight back. When you couple that with someone that also decides to change their eating habits to accommodate better choices whether it be less carbs, no grain, less sugar, more fruit and vegetables the lack of adherence can devastate the whole mind set..........it's basically a very difficult pedestal to be balancing so many variables on.