How many calories do you eat a day?

Options

Replies

• JessyLovesJCS
    JessyLovesJCS Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7" and have at least another 50 pounds to lose. Oddly, I lose very little on 1200-1400 net calories. I'm cold all the time, grouchy, no energy, and unhappy. I've done this for months before noticing I lost MORE weight eating more while visiting family over holidays...and reading about TDEE - 20%. I have been eating around 1800-1900 calories per day (light activity) (TDEE - 20% 1850 calories) and lost 2.7 pounds last week and 3.1 the week before. Before that I lost NOTHING in the month of January doing under 1400. With that said, everyone is different!
  • F00LofaT00K
    F00LofaT00K Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I am losing weight at about 1700 a day. My goal is 1650 and I try to stay under 1750. Occoasionally, I go over (like all weekend this week!) and sometimes I am under. MOST days, I'm right where I want to be. I've been losing about 1-2lbs per week. The only "exercise" I get is moving around at work.

female
    165Lbs
    5'4"

1200 is low as it is and if you aren't eating back your exercise calories on top of that, you're doing your body a serious disservice. PLEASE consider increasing your calories. The people who advocate TDEE-20% know what they're talking about. It took me a while, but I'm listening to them now and I am so much better off for it. If you continue to deprive your body of necessary fuel, your brain will kick your survival instincts into overdrive and tell you that you need to eat ALL of the foods. This is where a lot of people fail at "dieting." They restrict too much and their brain panics and eventually convinces them to overeat, they feel terrible about themselves, are convinced that they've failed and return to their old eating habits. PLEASE treat your body better!!!
  • MissMegannLee
    MissMegannLee Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8 and weigh in at 215 pounds right now. My calorie intake has been 1,200 a day. I have a desk job so I am not active a crap ton other than working out about 30 minutes 5x a week. I do eat back my calories burned most days, some days I am not hungry and I do not eat them back. I've lost 28ish pounds eating and exercising how I do. Everyone is different though. Somethings that work for me, but might not work for others. You really should eat back some of your workout calories. It's not good to be starving yourself.
  • MileHighFitness
    MileHighFitness Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    2040 or less..
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    You do realize that what other people are doing will offer very little meaningful information about what you should be doing, right?

This.

And what is the point of posting this? I honestly don't mean to be rude (because I can be), but are you trying to tell people how awesome you are because you hardly eat anything? Are you proud of this? You know it's not sustainable, right?

Well no, MFP said 1,200 is what would be good for me to eat. Also, I feel like I do eat a good amount.
    Like for breakfast I had 2 fried eggs....and a buttered Thomas Muffin...

Lunch Ill have a tuna/mayo sando
    and dinner a huge salad and LOTS AND LOTS of chicken.... Now thats a decent amount of food- and If I get hungry I will still have more.

To your question: The point of posting this is to see out of curiosity what others are eating. Thats all. Thank You for responding though.

But MFP assumes you will eat your exercise calories. The deficit is already built in.

I'm 5' 3", work out 6 days a week, but have a desk job so I sit a lot. I'm currently averaging 2300 calories a day, and I'm still slowly losing weight.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    1600-2200 a day, depending on my exercise.
    This thread is from last year, by the way.
    The original poster might not even still be here.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7" and have at least another 50 pounds to lose. Oddly, I lose very little on 1200-1400 net calories. I'm cold all the time, grouchy, no energy, and unhappy. I've done this for months before noticing I lost MORE weight eating more while visiting family over holidays...and reading about TDEE - 20%. I have been eating around 1800-1900 calories per day (light activity) (TDEE - 20% 1850 calories) and lost 2.7 pounds last week and 3.1 the week before. Before that I lost NOTHING in the month of January doing under 1400. With that said, everyone is different!

You had me until the last line. Not THAT different.
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Female
    20 years
    5'4"
    135lb
    2000cal+exercise

Though I consider myself to be maintaining my weight, this is actually a 200-calorie deficit and I should be slowly losing.
  • 1pandabear
    1pandabear Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    For all you people saying and agreeing with the notion that it is pointless to be asking the calories others are eating, are you serious?! There is a lot of value in seeing what others are doing to achieve similar goals. Reading up on other people's plans who had a similar body type as mine helped me set realistic goals for myself and reaffirmed the strategy of losing weight steadily.

I can't believe that on this particular website, people would be critical of the question OP posted. Unreal.

As for OP, I have a net of 1900 calories. And I do think hovering around 1200 calories is playing a dangerous game, unless you have a really controlled diet and workout plan. In your case, it seems that you want too much too soon. I'd say gradually eat at a deficit (maybe 500 below maintenance) and see how your body responds. Just my opinion.

Agreed. People are getting a bit snarky here.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    For all you people saying and agreeing with the notion that it is pointless to be asking the calories others are eating, are you serious?! There is a lot of value in seeing what others are doing to achieve similar goals. Reading up on other people's plans who had a similar body type as mine helped me set realistic goals for myself and reaffirmed the strategy of losing weight steadily.

I can't believe that on this particular website, people would be critical of the question OP posted. Unreal.

As for OP, I have a net of 1900 calories. And I do think hovering around 1200 calories is playing a dangerous game, unless you have a really controlled diet and workout plan. In your case, it seems that you want too much too soon. I'd say gradually eat at a deficit (maybe 500 below maintenance) and see how your body responds. Just my opinion.

I agree...when I first started logging here I read many threads...threw most of the info out but took what I could verify through research and worked on not only my eating plan but also my exercise routines.

Prior to logging on MFP I did the same thing that the OP is doing...not eating enough.

From reading the forums here I also learned real quick...don't ask questions unless you want some harsh responses. If I want to know something...I wait until I find someone that I think will take my questions seriously.

BTW OP...the advice that you are getting worked for me...I lose just as much weight eating 1500 calories as I did 1200. Plus I have more energy to do more intense workouts. At both levels I average 2lbs a week. After another 25lbs I will up my calories to slow the weight loss down for the last 25lbs.

Good luck OP!
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    38 yrs old, 5'7", 159 lbs, 27%BF... I eat 2200 to cut and up to 2700 on average to maintain in the summer (height of my running mileage).

I originally lost 30 lbs from 194-164 eating an average of 2100 calories daily, which was about 1600 plus exercise calories.
  • Keliandra
    Keliandra Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    5' 9", started at 252 pounds. I eat 1600-1900 calories a day. Down 11 pounds. Desk job, no exercise. TDEE gives:

Your BMR is:1810
    TDEE is:2172

Gives me a 200-500 deficit a day.

Good question IMO...I'm always curious to see what works for others. I tried 1200, couldn't do it. Hungry, cranky, tired, food obsessed. Happier now!
  • ab_1203
    ab_1203 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Male, 20
    5'7
    163 lbs
    1700-1800 calories a day
    Exercise: Two Football matches per week (I eat above maintenace on these days), strength training 3x per week.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    It's relative... 2200-2500 calories no cardio yet. I'll probably add it in in another week or two so I can keep my calories higher.
  • 1ZenGirl
    1ZenGirl Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    1900 calories a day and it always includes this

COMMERCIAL_30.gif[/URL]
  • bentobee
    bentobee Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Female.
    5'11"
    I eat an average of 1900-2000 calories a day.
    I consistently lose 1.5 pounds a week.
  • MatthewsModernLife
    Options
    On a 7-day average, I eat 1700 calories a day... with some days topping 2000 and others as low as 1300-1400. I've lost nearly 20 pounds since January 2nd, but didn't start tracking on MFP until 7 pounds ago.

6'4" - CW: 361.6 - GW: 205
  • Maggs1959
    Maggs1959 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks. Females?
  • Maggs1959
    Maggs1959 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Great Job. Thanks.
  • Sandy81154
    Sandy81154 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I really could use some advice on how many calories a day I need. My BMR is around 1450. I am 5' 4" and weigh 192 lbs currently. I am walking 10,000 steps a day at least 5 days a week and riding a recumbent bike at night for 60 minutes. I have been trying to keep my calorie intake at around 1200 to 1400 calories a day. Does this sound correct? The weight is coming off very slowly and i feel like I am doing everything right.