"go to" when your calories are too low for the day?

Replies

• These are great ideas!

I'm thinking of the highest fat items for satiety...
    -peanut butter
    -coconut oil with cocoa powder and stevia
    -nuts
    -avocado
  • aldousmom
    aldousmom Posts: 382 Member
    my "go to " is bed.

I don't eat if I'm not hungry: that seems counter-productive, and likely to lead to bad habits.

Nuts are nutritious and calorie dense, those might help you.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    chocolate milk and peanut butter and jelly sandwich
  • A banana.
  • marianapril
    marianapril Posts: 26 Member
    If you eat healthy for that day. You should consider to eat what you want as long as it fits to your remaining calorie goal. :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: Spoonful of icecream or yoghurt or cookies..
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    I don't have a "go to", because I plan all my meals out the night before. No slip ups for me, the stakes are too high.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    my "go to " is bed.

I don't eat if I'm not hungry: that seems counter-productive, and likely to lead to bad habits.

That can be dangerous for many people. Hunger is often more tied to mental state and hormones than what your body actually needs. There are tons of people who are trying to lose weight and "don't feel hungry" eating 1000 calories a day or less, even though that's often a huge huge calorie deficit.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    my "go to " is bed.

I agree, shouldn't eat mechanically just to hit a number. Should eat when you feel hungry... real hunger, not just a craving hunger feeling.
  • jonnythan
    my "go to " is bed.

I agree, shouldn't eat mechanically just to hit a number. Should eat when you feel hungry... real hunger, not just a craving hunger feeling.

As above, this can be dangerous. If we were good at understanding and feeding our hunger, we wouldn't have ended up on MFP. Hunger can be very misleading.
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    No idea what this "skinny rules" is but if I'm under for calories, I make this:

http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/07/26/reeses-peanut-butter-cup-baked-oatmeal/
  • Mistraal1981
    Mistraal1981 Posts: 453 Member
    Just had oral surgery and was worried about hitting 1200 as I was limited to soup. My solution was a peanut butter, banana and milk smoothie. Thick, cold and satisfying. Also a good number of calories if you do two full tablespoons of peanut butter.

Oh my god, throw in a spoon of nutella and I think I just died and went to heaven....

Damn, craving incoming!!!!
  • smc864
    smc864 Posts: 570 Member
    Peanut butter, almond butter, cashew butter... OMG NUT BUTTERS :love:
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    CRUNCHY NUT PEANUT BUTTER...............MMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Peanut butter, almond butter, cashew butter... OMG NUT BUTTERS :love:

MMMMM I love!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • jonnythan

http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/07/26/reeses-peanut-butter-cup-baked-oatmeal/

It's just another in the endless flood of diet books with a big list of "rules" about what to eat and what not to eat. JARD (Just Another Restrictive Diet).

A bunch of them are really ridiculous, like "no carbs after lunch" (really? that avocado on my chicken is going to make me fat, huh?) and "go to bed hungry."
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member

It's just another in the endless flood of diet books with a big list of "rules" about what to eat and what not to eat. JARD (Just Another Restrictive Diet).

Oh. Glad I don't bother with that then! :)
  • SephiraRose
    SephiraRose Posts: 766 Member
    Peanut butter on apple wedges. Greek yogurt smoothie.
  • insidemeout
    insidemeout Posts: 20 Member
    nuts, yogurt, cereal... Preferably all mixed together!
  • jonnythan
    Honestly I wonder how OP could be hitting appropriate nutrient goals (protein, fat, vitamins and minerals) at only 900 calories a day.
  • pinaypanda87
    pinaypanda87 Posts: 20 Member
    A protein shake or maybe a couple bites of a cookies and cream quest bar =)