Do I really need to eat my recommend calories?

Options
I just started here on MFP and at first I thought the 1200 cal/day thing was actually pretty low. But now that I've actually started tracking my eating habits, I'm coming up way short on calories at the end of the day; especially on days I work out.

I have a very odd appetite in that I'll work all day without even the slightest bit of hunger, my blood sugar suddenly plummets to the point of getting the shakes/dizzines etc, and then ut basically reminds me I need to eat. So to combat this, I've started eating small meals through the day, even in the morning when I am not the slightest bit hungry.

I've been feeling satiated, healthy, no more blood sugar crashes, and overall just energetic.

So my question is, do I have to *make* myself eat the remaining calories? I feel like I'm wasting food (the healthy foods out here in Hawaii are pricey!) almost and I have started actually eating to the point where I feel stuffed to hit the 1200 mark in my net calories (usually at night when I notice I haven't reached it) and I feel like poo after! I *really* don't want to just scarf down empty calories to make up for the difference, but when I see that I haven't met the 1200, I pretty much always reach for a sugary treat because it's nighttime and that's always been my bad habit :/

Any suggestions?

Replies

• jshay295
    jshay295 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Try sitting down , and dividing up your total calorie goals into goals you'd like to hit for each meal . I just started doing it but I think it helps to first start hitting the small targets as each meal/snack time comes around. My daily goal is 1570 , currently I do breakfast: 270, snack 140, lunch 400, snack 130, dinner 500 snack 130. I'm sure most would say eat your biggest meal in the morning but I find even if I do that I will still want to eat more at night, so I just eat a smaller breakfast because I'm not hungry anyways.
    Try having an extra serving/ half-serving of some of the healthy foods you're already enjoying :). I'm sorry, I just realized I didn't even directly answer your question! There are a lot of different opinions on this, honestly I wouldn't want to net under 1200 a day. There will most likely be a debate on this thread about it but ultimately your doctor can give you the best answer.
  • HappyNewTamera2014
    Options
    I am into month 2 and I went through the same thing. Make a smoothie. I make a healthy smoothie that is over 600 calories every weekend morning because I go vegetarian on the weekends. Eat a serving of nuts daily, or seeds. that is a good cal boost. An avocado, olive oil.....they work well too. Dark chocolate 70% or higher. You said sugary treat at night.....set a serving of dark choc on your night stand and much it while you read or something.
  • susie3g
    susie3g Posts: 267
    Options
    I come up short a lot of days, too, and have been wondering the same thing. Thanks for asking. I'll be following the thread.
  • condoleezachiapet
    Options
    I have the same problem too. In fact I've seemed to gained a steady pound since I've started my attempt to net 1200 daily. I do feel more energetic, but my stomach has never ceased being bloated. Not sure if this is just my body adapting to a new eating schedule, or if I'm actually just on the path to gaining weight.
  • nikkihk
    nikkihk Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    1200 IS pretty low. You should recalculate that here: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,949 Member
    Options
    I sense an unhealthy relationship with food and body image.....1200 contrary to popular belief, is not a lot of calories.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,949 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem too. In fact I've seemed to gained a steady pound since I've started my attempt to net 1200 daily. I do feel more energetic, but my stomach has never ceased being bloated. Not sure if this is just my body adapting to a new eating schedule, or if I'm actually just on the path to gaining weight.
    Well at 100 lbs that's what happens when you up your calories....serious stuff.
  • SouthernMommy11
    Options
    Have you tried a meal replacement shake? I am Never hungry at breakfast but found a yummy one packed with vitamins and I eat that most mornings. If I forget I vet he dizzy feeling youre talking about. If you message me I can share the link with you! Good luck!
  • Kiyalynn
    Kiyalynn Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I would try to eat your recommended calories. But if you are full, you don't have to get the calories though food. Adding a cup of juice or milk (even chocolate) can easily add 100-300 calories depending on the drink.
  • susie3g
    Options
    Bump
  • susie3g
    Options
    I sense an unhealthy relationship with food and body image.....1200 contrary to popular belief, is not a lot of calories.

Seriously? Yes, she's 100 pounds. She is also 5'2" and only 19 years old. Her metabolism is through the roof, I would imagine. When I was her age (and also 5'2") I weighed 101 pounds with a very healthy relationship with food and my body image. However, I wasn't looking to lose weight. But still.. we are here for support and not to bring each other down. Right?
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    OP, based on your profile and your comments here, it sounds like you are struggling to recover from an ED. It's probably best to seek advice from a medical professional. 1200 calories is not a lot.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I just started here on MFP and at first I thought the 1200 cal/day thing was actually pretty low. But now that I've actually started tracking my eating habits, I'm coming up way short on calories at the end of the day; especially on days I work out.

I have a very odd appetite in that I'll work all day without even the slightest bit of hunger, my blood sugar suddenly plummets to the point of getting the shakes/dizzines etc, and then ut basically reminds me I need to eat. So to combat this, I've started eating small meals through the day, even in the morning when I am not the slightest bit hungry.

I've been feeling satiated, healthy, no more blood sugar crashes, and overall just energetic.

So my question is, do I have to *make* myself eat the remaining calories? I feel like I'm wasting food (the healthy foods out here in Hawaii are pricey!) almost and I have started actually eating to the point where I feel stuffed to hit the 1200 mark in my net calories (usually at night when I notice I haven't reached it) and I feel like poo after! I *really* don't want to just scarf down empty calories to make up for the difference, but when I see that I haven't met the 1200, I pretty much always reach for a sugary treat because it's nighttime and that's always been my bad habit :/

Any suggestions?

Buy a food scale and weigh all of your solid food. See how accurate you really are. It's possilble you are eating more than the 1200 calories you think you are eating.
  • PRMinx
    Options

Seriously? Yes, she's 100 pounds. She is also 5'2" and only 19 years old. Her metabolism is through the roof, I would imagine. When I was her age (and also 5'2") I weighed 101 pounds with a very healthy relationship with food and my body image. However, I wasn't looking to lose weight. But still.. we are here for support and not to bring each other down. Right?

Huh? Why are you mad again?

Blindly condoning a very low calorie diet is not being supportive - it's enabling.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

The OP states she has a history of eating disorder and is posting that she's having trouble eating enough.

So, yes. Seriously. She needs help.
  • mccindy72
    Options

Blindly condoning a very low calorie diet is not being supportive - it's enabling.

Not to mention, if her metabolism is "through the roof", she should be wolfing down everything in sight, as my son was at that age.
  • PRMinx
    Options

Not to mention, if her metabolism is "through the roof", she should be wolfing down everything in sight, as my son was at that age.

Great point.
  • SephiraRose
    SephiraRose Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Try a greek yogurt protein smoothie.
  • mccindy72
    Options
    Try a greek yogurt protein smoothie.

I don't think one yogurt smoothie is going to help this girl overcome her issue of not wanting to eat enough calories consistently.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    If you're to use MFP, then you will just have to get on and follow the plan to the letter. Otherwise, you won't know if MFP's system works for you or not. Thing is, if you're just eating healthily then what's the difference between what you're doing now and what you've always done? Why therefore are you here?

Hope you get my meaning - does come across as a bit *****y but it's not meant like that. :o)

PS Peanut butter + tablespoon.