1200 Calorie Diet Does it work and how long?

Options

Replies

• Mollique
    Options
    When I first started to loose weight I had myself set at 1500 calories a day and eating back work out calories only because that was what a friend was doing. Within a few weeks I changed it to 1200 calories and not eating back exercise calories because that was what I wanted to do. After 8 weeks I had lost 20 lbs while working out 5 days a week for 1.5-1.45hrs (I am 5'7"). After the 2 months I found I was VERY moody and not the best person to be around. I bumped my calories up to 1400 while still not eating back exercise calories and it worked well for me. 58lbs lost now and I am slowly transitioning to maintenance for the next several weeks.

My suggestion is to start at 1200 and stay there for a few weeks to a month. Do a lot of research during this time (clinical research, not opinions) and judge how you feel and how your moods/behaviours may be affecting those around you. After the 2 weeks or so, reevaluate where you are and whether or not you want to increase your calories or keep them the same.

Good luck!

Wow great information! Thank you so much!
  • Mollique
    Options
    For me it depends on what you consider successful. If you want just the number on the scale to move so you can pat yourself on the back and say you have done well then 1200 a day will do it. What is happening inside your body may not be what you are really wanting though. you are going to be burning loads of lean body mass along with the fat if you stick to 1200. You are becoming weaker while not getting rid of all the fat you think you are. Each to their own. If the number of the scale flatters you more than what you look like or what is good for you then fill your boots. If you want to be lean and fit then going slower is better

ok thank you! And I honestly feel better, healthier than I have in years! It's not just about image with me, it's about becoming healthier. I honestly eat a lot, I just eat loads of good things which consist of less calories :)
  • Mollique
    Options
    I DO NOT UNDERSTAND THE STARVATION MODE STUFF?????? I DEFINITELY DO NOT STARVE MYSELF LOL.
  • LessthanKris
    LessthanKris Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I have been on a 1200 net since the end of August (well I kind of took a break in December). I eat back all my exercise calories and sometimes more. I try not to go too much over my weekly calories. I am down 26.6 lbs since August 26. It works but I would not be able to do it if I did not eat back those calories. I usually get to eat between 1450-1600 depending on the exercise for the day. I work out 6 days a week.

I do not weigh my food but I do try to measure what I can. Like others you have to remember that you will not lose the same every week but one week you may lose 1 lb, the next 2, and the next 0.5 lbs. It can be frustrating but it is just the way it goes.

I do use a heart rate monitor which I do not know how I would get along without.
  • Mollique
    Options
    I have been on a 1200 net since the end of August (well I kind of took a break in December). I eat back all my exercise calories and sometimes more. I try not to go too much over my weekly calories. I am down 26.6 lbs since August 26. It works but I would not be able to do it if I did not eat back those calories. I usually get to eat between 1450-1600 depending on the exercise for the day. I work out 6 days a week.

I do not weigh my food but I do try to measure what I can. Like others you have to remember that you will not lose the same every week but one week you may lose 1 lb, the next 2, and the next 0.5 lbs. It can be frustrating but it is just the way it goes.

I do use a heart rate monitor which I do not know how I would get along without.
    [/quote

Thank you!
  • Mollique
    Options
    Ok so I guess I should eat back calories/ eat over if necessary?
  • Mollique
    Options
    and scale food
  • blueskiesnatw
    Options
    I DO NOT UNDERSTAND THE STARVATION MODE STUFF?????? I DEFINITELY DO NOT STARVE MYSELF LOL.

Starvation mode means that if you're eating way too few calories over a sustained amount of time, your body won't lose weight as it's holding on to the fat in case it doesn't get food again for a while- goes back to when we were hunter/gatherers I guess- when we really didn't know where the next meal was coming from!

And also weighing your food is so important. You can't know how many calories you're eating without doing it. I would guess you're eating a lot more calories than you think!
  • Str0ng_Heart
    Options
    First off, forget about starvation mode. It doesn't apply unless you have been eating an extremely low calorie diet for months and have almost zero body fat.

I question the fact that you were not losing on 1200 a day (for one). Do you have a food scale? Do you measure your liquids out in cups?

How are you calculating your calorie burns when working out, and are you eating those calories back?

Some fluid retention in the muscles when you work out is very normal, and can mask fat loss.

If you really are in a calorie deficit, you cannot gain more than maybe 1 or 2 noobie muscle lbs. Muscle gaining requires a calorie surplus.

How did you decide on 1200 calories?

ETA: Please use the 'quote' function so we can tell who you are answering in your posts. Thanks!
    I eat like 1300 to 1400 a day and ive lost 31 pounds since december.. But i am religious about portions.. I do work out, but not that much at first.. I started really working out once i couldnt lose more than 30.. My weight loss stalled, so i kicked things up a notch.. it worked.. I believe ive lost another 4.. ill know for sure when i officially weigh in the AM... For me it really came down to what i put in my body.. I find eating clean, or healthy, really kicks the weight loss up.. at least for me! Good luck!!!
  • Mollique
    Options
    First off, forget about starvation mode. It doesn't apply unless you have been eating an extremely low calorie diet for months and have almost zero body fat.

I question the fact that you were not losing on 1200 a day (for one). Do you have a food scale? Do you measure your liquids out in cups?

How are you calculating your calorie burns when working out, and are you eating those calories back?

Some fluid retention in the muscles when you work out is very normal, and can mask fat loss.

If you really are in a calorie deficit, you cannot gain more than maybe 1 or 2 noobie muscle lbs. Muscle gaining requires a calorie surplus.

How did you decide on 1200 calories?

ETA: Please use the 'quote' function so we can tell who you are answering in your posts. Thanks!
    I eat like 1300 to 1400 a day and ive lost 31 pounds since december.. But i am religious about portions.. I do work out, but not that much at first.. I started really working out once i couldnt lose more than 30.. My weight loss stalled, so i kicked things up a notch.. it worked.. I believe ive lost another 4.. ill know for sure when i officially weigh in the AM... For me it really came down to what i put in my body.. I find eating clean, or healthy, really kicks the weight loss up.. at least for me! Good luck!!!

Thanks!
  • candylandicous
    Options
    Awhile back in mid December last year, I actually tried to maintain a daily intake of 1200 calories, and I did it until mid January. Just as u said even I stayed in between a 183-186 range and it would never go lower. I sadly realized I may have actually starving my body, and that was the cause my weight may have been not lowering and I definitely didn't feel like I was gaining muscle so yeah xD. Anyway maybe you should try upping ur intake by 200-300 calories and see how it works out for u, who knows the results may be better =)
  • sami_83
    sami_83 Posts: 161
    Options
    I would recommend entering your details into Scooby's calculator to get a better idea of the calories you require: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator

It'll tell you (roughly) your BMR and TDEE, which are good things to know. Knowledge is power! For example, I aim for around 1,600 calories a day for weight loss, though I know that I can eat up to 2,000 or so without gaining as that is my 'maintenance' level. So if I go bananas every now and then I don't beat myself up about it because I know that stuffing my face now and then won't actually ruin my progress. I can accept that even if weight loss slows down it won't actually stop as long as I am doing MOSTLY okay.

Weighing your food is very helpful. For instance, if 100g of icecream is 185 calories and 200g is 370 calories but you don't know how much is in your bowl- how do you know whether you're eating 185 or 370 or even more? Does that make sense? It's very hard to guess the weight of a food just by looking at it.

As a side note-, bread is not 'bad', you don't need to eat less of it unless you are gluten intolerant or have other medical issues with it. You should not feel guilty about eating anything, all food is fuel for your body. Enjoy your bread, it's yummy :happy:

I hope that helps!
    Best of luck :flowerforyou:
  • nursediva00
    Options
    Throw in a 1,500 calorie day once or twice a week.. ...it will shake up your metabolism and make you feel less restricted on your way of eating.
  • alibee88
    Options
    I find that I gain if I go over 850, and to lose weight I have to be under 400.

I really hope the 1 key is broken on your keyboard. No-one should ever be eating 400 calories as a regular daily intake, that is actually crazy.

Anyone who gains weight eating 850 calories needs to visit their doctor.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    I don't know but that is my calorie limit and I am losing. I get to eat more when I exercise and I do that at least five times a week. IF you work it , you will lose. drink water, limit empty carbs, eat vegies and fruits, up fiber and protein. Keep trying new foods that keep you satisfied for longer times. Take vitamins. I was at a stand still for a bit once I hit 184 but now I am back to losing. you just got to take it one day at a time and accurately report what you are eating by measuring and weighing your foods.
  • smc864
    smc864 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I lost the majority of my weight on a 1200 calorie diet... It works until you can no longer maintain it. The leaner I got the hungrier I became. I had to bump up my calories because I started to binge every weekend. 1200 calorie diets are great when you have a lot of weight to lose and you have the discipline to stick to it. When you are close to your goal then you may think of raising your calories a little. That's just been my experience.

While I was on 1200 I lost an average of 2-3 lbs/week. I was also working out 4-5 x's/week.
  • mjcaraballo
    Options
    great concept, and i like this - I understand it - thank you
  • ibleedunionblue
    ibleedunionblue Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Worked for me for about 5 months. I also exercised vigorously. Lost 85 pounds. Now I eat around 1800 - 2100 calories per day and continue exercising.
  • feltlikesound
    feltlikesound Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    When I just had a desk job and VERY minimal physical activity, I was able to maintain 1200/day for an extended period of time. It worked to the tune of 2ish pounds a week. When I wanted to actually change my habits, including returning to lifting, I was simply too hungry and ineffective. I think it depends on your specific body and lifestyle, there is no simple yes or no answer.
  • gmstarr1
    gmstarr1 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    The 1200 calorie diet is working for me right now (although I do sometimes go over that, I'm human after all...I'm also going to hope that sometimes going over my calories will keep me out of 'starvation mode' I keep hearing so much about). 5.6 pounds lost since February 1. Since I'm just now trying this out, I can't tell you for how long this will work for me.

But if you're not losing on a 1200 calorie diet, I would suggest looking at using your food scale. Before I was just trying to guess how much a serving in ounces was. When I decided to get serious about this and go down to 1200 calories, I went and bought a food scale. First thing I used it with were some sliced sweet pickles which on the nutrition label is 1 ounce for a serving. When I weighed them, 1 ounce is approximately TWO pickles. Before I did that, I was eating 6 pickles as an ounce. Which in pickles, that's not a lot of extra calories, but it's a good example of how you can totally estimate serving size wrong without a food scale.