Knee popping.........worried.

Options
When I first started working out, my knees would make a popping sound whenever I did lunges but as I progressed, the sound diminished. Recently, I've been noticing that my left knee is producing the same sound again though not so much during working out but when I straighten my leg from a bent position during normal activities. It doesn't happen every time I straighten my leg but enough to get me alarmed. There's absolutely no pain at all just the annoying popping sound. And I weigh 130 lbs if that makes a difference. Any help is appreciated. Currently working out to Insanity (evening) and Turbo Jam (morning).

Replies

• mariapuhl
    mariapuhl Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    My left shoulder and elbow do that too. Every time I do like lateral or side raises, it pops like crazy. But it never hurts. I asked the people I used to take personal training from and they said as long as it doesn't hurt, don't worry about it. It never has stopped, but then again, it never has hurt or affected me in anyway other than just being annoying lol.
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    My knees have popped, both straightening and bending, since my early teens.... No pain, x-rays (which were required for something else) are normal....
  • muth3rluvx2
    muth3rluvx2 Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    as long as there's no pain, it's probably just air trapped in the joint. If you start feeling any weakness, pain, aching or any other symptoms, stop doing the lunges until you can see a doctor (assuming that option is available to you). It's really no different than cracking your knuckles. Pay attention to when you're *not* working out too.....
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    I've always had popping in my knees.
  • penne356
    Options
    Thank you so much for the quick replies everyone, they relieved me a little. I have no pain at all, just the popping. I guess, I'll have to live with it but if it get the chance, I'll consult a physician as well. Thanks again. I noticed that the popping sound became frequent after I started kick-boxing (Turbo Jam).
  • Niveous
    Niveous Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Same thing happens to me as well; my knees pop quite often during exercises. I always make sure to warm up, but it happens anyway. No pain or joint issues though, so I haven't been too worried about it. It's nice reading similar responses though. :)
  • eorcel
    eorcel Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    My sister's knees just started popping yesterday, and it worries me because I have other arthritis issues. One website had this lady that said she ignored becaus of the suggestions she received, and years later it worsened, so she advises against ignoring it. She is seeing my doctor today, and will hopefully get a referral to a podiatrist.

Plenty of websites she visited have said to consult a doctor.
  • esorcel
    esorcel Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    My doctor mentioned that it is a form of athritis, the knees are being overused, it's reversible, but we have to take care of our knees. My knee is working hard to support the extra weight that I carry above it, so I have to do more of exercises that don't use the knee as much as walking and running does. So exercises such as bicycling, elliptical machines, and swimming are helpful. Getting a new pair of walking sneakers is ideal, and I personally will get a knee brace for when I walk (no suggestions was made to me regarding that). This problem is reversible, but you have to take care of your knees.

This is not intended to replace your doctor's suggestion. You may want to see your provider, and maybe get a referral to a podiatrist. You don't want to ignore this, because it can lead to surgery if the problem worsens, and we are heavily dependant on our knees.