If you have $1100 to spend...

Options
If you had $1100 to spend on fitness related purchases (not clothes or workout type dvds) - what would you spend it on?

I am leaving my job in about a month and have a benefit which allows me to be reimburssed for $1100.. previously we've bought a fancy jogging stroller, running shoes, skis, bikes, fishing equipment ect.

I've never had time to go to a gym or personal trainer (I might now - since Im gaining about 1.5 hours that I currently spend commuting) but I somewhat feel I may be better off working out at home.

So for curiositys sake - what would you spend it on!?

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Plenty of people will give suggestions for larger purchases, but if you have an extra hundred-something left over, get an activity tracker like Fitbit or UP by Jawbone, and/or a Fitbit Aria wifi scale. They all sync w/ MFP.
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I'd never spend that much, personally.

I just spent under $300 on a great treadmill.

I want to get a really good food processor and blender to make smoothies and stuff so I can sneak veggies into my fruits, but I doubt that's $800. I would see about spending some good money on a personal trainer or someone to seriously coach my fat *kitten* and make me work for the loss.
  • jjking54
    jjking54 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I'd take that $1,100, plus money I would get from selling my current bike, and get a brand new road bike :)
  • Msaip
    Msaip Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Personally I just joined a weight loss competition and if I win the 3000 or so will pay off a major bill of mine :) I would much rather buy clothes....so who knows I may keep a little for myself :)
  • simsburyjet
    simsburyjet Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I would get a , HR monitor, Hand weights, kettlebells, bench to do flies and chest presses
    Body pump which would send you all the equipment.. Mirrors for a gym downstairs.
  • ActuarialChef
    ActuarialChef Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    Do you have room in your home for weights? I don't have specific suggestions, but I'm sure you could find a weight-system (bar, weight plates, whatever) so that you could work out at home. (Suggesting this because you said you never had time before to go to the gym - why not buy things to create you own home gym? That way you could work out at home and still have time leftover!)
  • licorice_tea
    licorice_tea Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Like others have mentioned, I would buy a fitbit activity tracker and a fitbit scale (that will set you back maybe $250 depending) if I didn't already own them.

I could blow probably the whole amount on a walking/treadmill desk -- I spend a lot of time at my computer, even though I don't usually work from home, and that would really go a long way towards keeping me active in everyday life.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Decent power rack, oly bar, bench and plates.

If there's some money left over, I'd invest in some KB's too.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I'd start creating my home gym with a power rack, a bench, oly bar and plates.
    Off of CL of course.

Get some dumbbells and a bosu ball.too. And matting for the room.
    Bumper plates too maybe
    Save the rest and put it towards a treadmill
  • lrmall01
    lrmall01 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Squat rack, olympic plates, barbell, etc.

or this

http://www.fastexercise.com/ (although $1100 won't cover it)
  • maz504
    maz504 Posts: 450
    Options
    $1100!!!! I'm so jealous! To be honest I'd probably go to lululemon/athletica and buy some cute workout clothes. They're overpriced but they're high quality and really cute, and tbh, cute workout clothes really motivate me to actually work out.
  • jennybauer
    Options
    Hands down - personal trainer. I spent the money once and had the best sucess!! I was in the best shape of my life! It was also one of the hardest things I ever did. It is impossible to work out that hard (for us common individuals; major athletes not included) without a real person there pushing you and using their knowledge and training to change up your routine. JMO
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I'd take that $1,100, plus money I would get from selling my current bike, and get a brand new road bike :)

That's what I would do...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    A pretty decent entry level road bike or cx bike.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Hands down - personal trainer. I spent the money once and had the best sucess!! I was in the best shape of my life! It was also one of the hardest things I ever did. It is impossible for me to work out that hard (for us common individuals; major athletes not included) without a real person there pushing you and using their knowledge and training to change up your routine. JMO

Fixed it for you...
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    That's about what my power rack and used plates cost. (not including barbell.)
    I'd buy that again.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Kickboxing classes!!!!!

or a bunch of small stuff. Weights for home/new running and gym shoes/ new bike/mini trampoline/food processor and a Heart rate monitor.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Hands down - personal trainer. I spent the money once and had the best sucess!! I was in the best shape of my life! It was also one of the hardest things I ever did. It is impossible to work out that hard (for us common individuals; major athletes not included) without a real person there pushing you and using their knowledge and training to change up your routine. JMO

Really? I don't have one.. I'm at the gym everyday.. i take kickboxing a few times a week, I lift, I do at least 1 5K per week, I yell at myself if I have to use the treadmill to keep going. It ry the heavier weights just to see how much I can do with them... i leave my gym exhausted, starving and feeling awesome. I'm no athlete.

So no.. it's not impossible. It's entirely possible to push yourself. It's simple.. how badly do you want to be healthy and in shape? I want it so i'm gonna get there.
  • Zomb1eMummy
    Zomb1eMummy Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I disagree, I have much better success doing my own thing without some idiot who knows nothing about me yelling in my face as "motivation". No thanks.

In response to the OP, I want to invest in a FitBit, a decent treadmill or elliptical, and some more weights. I only have 1lb, 3lb and 5lb right now so I need some heavier weights. :)

edit: I had "quoted" someone about a personal trainer, but apparently it didn't wok. Sorry.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Like others have said:
    Rack, barbell and plates, and a bench. If I had some left over, I'd get some sort of quiet cardio machine that I could do in front of the TV or while reading.

My second choice would be a year of Krav Maga, the martial arts classes that I do. Great workout, and could save your life at some point. If you aren't into that specifically then sub dancing, zumba, other martial art, water aerobics/sport, some other sport like soccer or hockey. It's easier to get out of the house when a team is depending on you.

ETA: For the people suggesting that you spend over 1000 dollars on workout clothing: Seriously? Holy hell.