I WANT BREAD!

Options
I'm pretty new to MFP. I didn't realize how badly I was eating until I started logging it and trying to keep under my recommended calorie intake. I'm sure it's normal to crave things when you first change your diet but anyone have any ideas on what to do about it? Right now I seriously want bread....really want it.

Replies

• lindzgayle
    lindzgayle Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Eat some bread.

Put some meat on it. Call it a sandwich. Add avocado. Mmm...
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Eat bread then. Eat whatever you want. Just make sure you weigh, measure and log everything and stay under your calorie goal.
  • charissh
    charissh Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Just have some! Incorporate it into your calories for the day.

Everyone has different strategies to lose weight, if you like eating carbs then you don't have to give them up to lose weight if you don't want to, some people are happier giving them up and other people aren't.

Trust me I eat bread everyday :)
  • ab_1203
    ab_1203 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    But why dont you want bread?
  • michael300891
    Options
    In response to your topic I prescribe bread.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Usually, when I'm craving bread and sugar, it's, because I'm needing quick energy (food=fuel). While it's fine to eat bread, I find that I don't fill up very well on it, without eating large quantities of it. Most of us do very well making sure we have enough protein in our diets. It keeps you full longer. I personally do IIFYM (if it fits your macros), but the main idea is that I structure my meals as follows: protein + veggies. As long as I get those in, I feel satiated until the next meal. If I eat cake/bread, and I do eat cake/bread, I limit my portions/frequency of it, because it adds up fast (calorie budget-wise) and does little to tide me over to the next meal.
  • lsvalliant
    lsvalliant Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Eat some bread in moderation. In the morning is better, chance to burn off those carbs. low carb bread and tortilla options are available. I use them at dinner time if I really want to have some. You know what my problem is?

I WANT BEER!!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    so have some bread...

I'm having a nice ham and swiss on sourdough rye for lunch today...very much looking forward to it. There's nothing inherently evil about bread. It is calorie dense so you have to work it in..but nothing inherently evil about bread.
  • rubyted
    rubyted Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    If you want bread then eat bread………no?

As someone has already said, have a sandwich and enjoy!
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Have some bread. I would only recommend whole grain to keep you fuller longer. The white processed type seems to never satisfy.
  • Samby_v1
    Samby_v1 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I think the worst thing you can do is cut everything you enjoy out of your diet. It just makes you associate 'diet' with 'suffering' and you'll either quit early or put the weight back on after you've lost it. Like others have said, log it! I LOVE my food, so rather than depriving myself of what I enjoy I just eat less of it.

Having said that, I went on a juice fast for a week (about a year ago now), and it seems to have cured my carb and sugar cravings, like hitting a reset button. That is an extreme way to do it, but I suffer from hypoglycaemia and found that when I was low I'd turn to baked, high carb foods. I don't know if it's worked for others, but it's a very antisocial way to do things (I work from home and wouldn't dream of doing it if I had kids or an office job)!

If you find yourself with a faceful of bread, forgive yourself and don't quit. My biggest challenge is getting back on the wagon once I've fallen off, and giving myself the adequate time to reach my fitness goals. Build good eating habits for life!
  • ZOOpergal
    ZOOpergal Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I will echo everyone else. Eat some. The easiest way to fail or fall off the wagon is to deprive yourself.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Eat some bread in moderation. In the morning is better, chance to burn off those carbs. low carb bread and tortilla options are available. I use them at dinner time if I really want to have some. You know what my problem is?

I WANT BEER!!

Have some beer in moderation.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    Eat some bread.

Put some meat on it. Call it a sandwich. Add avocado. Mmm...

This. All of it.

A lot of people will tell you differently, but I think you shouldn't cut out any food completely.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I eat bread every day at least 2 slices. Count it in my calories-what's the big deal? Throw some turkey, spicy hot mustard, veggies and you have a healthy sandwich. Try to eat whole wheat. I usually eat 1/2 sandwich.
  • russellbrand69
    russellbrand69 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Eat some bread - just make it very good, very delicious bread, that's worth eating.

I get a white spelt loaf from an upmarket deli, or a wholemeal soda from a local upscale restaurant that makes its own bread in-house.
    Both are incredibly delicious.
    I eat a piece of either each morning with my breakfast.

As I don't each much, it takes a while to eat the loaf, so I'll freeze it and pop a slice in the toaster each morning.

Changing from too much low-quality bread to a little bit of high-quality bread has been life-changing for me.
  • LexiMelo
    LexiMelo Posts: 203 Member
    Options

I WANT BEER!!

Have some beer in moderation.

A little early in the day, no? :drinker:
  • Cameron_1969
    Cameron_1969 Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    First. .drink a *kitten* ton of water.. then do what everyone says. . eat some bread.. but not like a whole loaf.. and make it whole grain. . then stop eating it. .
  • firewife1101
    Options
    Thanks for responding everyone! My problem is that it's carbs and sodium are what I'm struggling with keeping in check. I love sandwiches! I haven't cut anything out completely but I've been craving carbs and sugar the last couple of days no matter what I eat. This sounds lame but it's hard to cut down my portions. I've been eating whatever the heck I want for too many years.
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Eat the bread.

I don't even eat bread, or grains, but if you really want it, eat it. Weigh it, log it, eat it.

ETA: Cutting bread did substantially cut my cravings. But YMMV. So if you can push past the initial cravings, it might be really good for you.