Should I be focusing on cardio or strength training?

Options
13»

Replies

• leannems
    leannems Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Four 60 minute sessions of cardio is more than "moderate" IMO. Do 3-4 days of strength training per week, try to do something active that's not strength-based for 30-60 minutes twice a week on non-lifting days, and reserve 1 to 2 days per week for pure rest.

I have the best success when I do the above. Keeps everything high & tight, and the two days of cardio keep my heart healthy.
  • katiev111
    katiev111 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Four 60 minute sessions of cardio is more than "moderate" IMO. Do 3-4 days of strength training per week, try to do something active that's not strength-based for 30-60 minutes twice a week on non-lifting days, and reserve 1 to 2 days per week for pure rest.

I have the best success when I do the above. Keeps everything high & tight, and the two days of cardio keep my heart healthy.

This sounds like a great plan to me ^^^
  • MINIRunner
    MINIRunner Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Strength training. This helps you maintain muscle mass, and muscle is what gives your body tone, shape, and firmness.

Cardio just burns calories. It's good for your cardiovascular health, and you should do some, but quality concerted strength training really gives you all the benefits of cardio other than endurance.

If you lose weight without doing strength training, cardio or not, you will shed muscle in addition to fat. If you want to shed fat and keep muscle, strength training is obligatory.

I recommend an intense focus on strength training combined with moderate amounts of cardio. The cardio can - and, indeed, should - be something you actually enjoy and will do long-term, such as a sport (tennis, hiking, playing frisbee with your dog, whatever).

Agree completely. You will note that there is SOME cardio in there. You can do some sprints/short-fast cardio to bump things up once in a while if you like that type of intensity and are missing it. Once a week or so, a short series of sprints will help keep you focused.
  • PennyHarris123
    PennyHarris123 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert but from my own experience I was a cardio bunny doing 6-7 times a week and was starting to not see any changes after a few months....switched to more weights with HIIT and a bit of cardio as I like it and my body changed completely for the better....I hardly lost any more weight but took photos and the difference looks like more than a stone in weight .... good luck :smile:
  • MINIRunner
    MINIRunner Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I recommend an intense focus on strength training combined with moderate amounts of cardio. The cardio can - and, indeed, should - be something you actually enjoy and will do long-term, such as a sport (tennis, hiking, playing frisbee with your dog, whatever).

So what do you suggest for strength training and what is considered a moderate amount of cardio?

I do a whole body routine 2x week and 4 days of 60 min cardio... I HATE the Cardio!

As a trainer, I'd flip that around. 4x strength, do some split type workouts, and 1-2 cardio sessions if you must.
  • VegasFlyer
    VegasFlyer Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    As a trainer friend of mine always tells me "It is ALL cardio" wear a HRM when you do strength training and compare

Being a trainer myself, I have to say that while your friend is not "technically" wrong, they have done you a disservice by not explaining the difference. Quite simply, you "can" see a higher elevated metabolic rate from cardio than you "could" see from a similar timed session of resistance training, however, if you were to graph the metabolic rate after the workout you would see that the raised metabolic rate from cardio will be back to whatever your baseline is in somewhere from six to nine hours. Whereas you’re metabolic rate will actually continue to rise slightly after stopping the resistance training and remain elevated with a gradual diminishment rate for approximately seventy two hours, while your body heals itself from the resistance training session.

That is why trainers stress allowing adequate rest of muscles between workouts.

All of the above factors are assuming that you are doing the activities properly and would be basing the cardio on High Intensity Interval Training and the resistance training done properly to where the next day after working out, you would feel an elevated temperature in the areas that were worked out.

So, after all that, in answering the original posted question, as has already been said by a few people, the best method to follow is a balance effort that incorporates changing your routine about every month to six weeks.

Think of cardio as a workout for your heart and lungs and grouping it into certain days like you would certain days for Chest/Triceps, Back/Biceps, legs, etc. The only difference being that you don't need to give the heart and lungs the same amount of rest that you give the other muscle groups.

Rather than looking to a forum to develop your workout routine, I would recommend you finding a trainer for a couple sessions where they can evaluate your current condition and prescribe a workout routine for you. There really is no need to have a trainer every workout, though using one every four to six weeks to evaluate how you are working out and showing you ways to change out your routine to keep your body off-guard, can save you LOTS of frustration and wasted time in the gym. If you are attentive to their instruction, you should be able to develop your own programs after a few sessions. Despite what a lot of people think, it is not simply a matter of reading a book or forum and hitting the gym. At the same time, there is no need to be afraid to workout unless you have a trainer standing beside you.