If you have $1100 to spend...

Options

Replies

• sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I am working on building my home gym. I currently have a treadmill and weights (bar, dumbbells, plates). Next purchase would be a power rack and bench.
  • wfrazjr
    wfrazjr Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Used Bow Flex Select Tech Dumbbell System (Craiglist)
    3 - Kettle Ball, 15ibs, 20ibs, & 25lbs Steel one not plastic (Walmart or Target)
    2 - Jump Ropes (WalMart or Target)
    2 - Strecthing straps ( Walmart or Target)
    1 - Iron Gym Pull Up Bar

You will get your monies worth from these items and will be able to use them for a very long time and workout just about your entire body.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Like others have said:
    Rack, barbell and plates, and a bench. If I had some left over, I'd get some sort of quiet cardio machine that I could do in front of the TV or while reading.

My second choice would be a year of Krav Maga, the martial arts classes that I do. Great workout, and could save your life at some point. If you aren't into that specifically then sub dancing, zumba, other martial art, water aerobics/sport, some other sport like soccer or hockey. It's easier to get out of the house when a team is depending on you.

ETA: For the people suggesting that you spend over 1000 dollars on workout clothing: Seriously? Holy hell.

A lot of lulu clothes are about 100$ ive noticed
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    A power rack (already have Oly bar, plates, bench etc.)
    A decent fan / air con unit for my home gym in the summer
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    If you had $1100 to spend on fitness related purchases (not clothes or workout type dvds) - what would you spend it on?
    A wheelset for my bike.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Like others have said:
    Rack, barbell and plates, and a bench. If I had some left over, I'd get some sort of quiet cardio machine that I could do in front of the TV or while reading.

My second choice would be a year of Krav Maga, the martial arts classes that I do. Great workout, and could save your life at some point. If you aren't into that specifically then sub dancing, zumba, other martial art, water aerobics/sport, some other sport like soccer or hockey. It's easier to get out of the house when a team is depending on you.

ETA: For the people suggesting that you spend over 1000 dollars on workout clothing: Seriously? Holy hell.

A lot of lulu clothes are about 100$ ive noticed

I'd rather spend the money on decent equipment and train naked....
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    new furniture and wardrobe for mom and I. Def.
  • sumeetg37
    sumeetg37 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I would get a concept rowing machine...

I lift in the gym, it would be awesome to have one of these to add some cardio at home!
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    Decent power rack, oly bar, bench and plates.

If there's some money left over, I'd invest in some KB's too.

this is what I think I would do with it... although putting some of it toward a personal trainer is a great idea too.

(to the person who said they don't want someone yelling in their face - most of them aren't like that. Mine is very nice & encouraging, she has never yelled.)
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    I just spent about that much on new bike shoes, bike shorts, bike tune up, bike storage, and a down payment for my BF's new fatbike. Oh, and a gym membership.
  • ewarlow
    ewarlow Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately it cannot be spent on clothing and must be equipment, gym fees, trainer, classes, ect.

Ive put in some requests for information on training and classes for the gym that opened a few months ago in town (the other is simply a fee for using equipment in an unmanned gym).

We shall see!

Im sure my husband has ideas too.. or we could use it for the kids dance classes.. but screw them right?! ;)
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I would take half of it and get a years worth of Bikram yoga classes. I love hot yoga and I miss it, but I can't afford it anymore!

I used to have an incredible personal trainer too, if I could track him down I'd consider spending a few hundred of it on sessions with him.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Decent power rack, oly bar, bench and plates.

If there's some money left over, I'd invest in some KB's too.

This if you have the room (since you said you already have a bike).
  • walkinthedogs
    walkinthedogs Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I'd start creating my home gym with a power rack, a bench, oly bar and plates.
    Off of CL of course.

Get some dumbbells and a bosu ball.too. And matting for the room.
    Bumper plates too maybe
    Save the rest and put it towards a treadmill

I would get this exactly, minus the treadmill. I have a dog, if I'm going to walk, it's going to be outside with him.
  • 4daluvof_candice
    4daluvof_candice Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Fitbit
  • tapirfrog
    tapirfrog Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I'd get multiple pairs of the running shoes I currently use (Brooks Trance). They're the only things that keep my feet and knees from shredding to bits, and I need a new pair every six to eight months, and I always have to swallow hard when it comes time to pay what's on the price tag. It would be soooo lovely to have a couple of years' worth of those shoes in reserve.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    If you had $1100 to spend on fitness related purchases (not clothes or workout type dvds) - what would you spend it on?

I am leaving my job in about a month and have a benefit which allows me to be reimburssed for $1100.. previously we've bought a fancy jogging stroller, running shoes, skis, bikes, fishing equipment ect.

I've never had time to go to a gym or personal trainer (I might now - since Im gaining about 1.5 hours that I currently spend commuting) but I somewhat feel I may be better off working out at home.

So for curiositys sake - what would you spend it on!?

Two options:

Option 1. Full home gym.
    Power rack
    Flat bench
    Barbell with 300-lb plate set
    Deadlifting platform supplies (rubber mats and plywood)
    Cheapo treadmill for warmups
    Full-length wall mirror

Option 2.
    3 years of membership to a decent gym with freeweights.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    It is impossible to work out that hard (for us common individuals; major athletes not included) without a real person there pushing you and using their knowledge and training to change up your routine. JMO

Apparently I just got upgraded to "major athlete."

Nice.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    It is impossible to work out that hard (for us common individuals; major athletes not included) without a real person there pushing you and using their knowledge and training to change up your routine. JMO

Nice.

Careful!

I got a snarky PM for my efforts...
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options

Nice.

Me too!

Oh happy day!