Is my fitness instructor right?

Options

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    25g of sugar really isn't very much sugar at all. That's a silly daily limit, in my opinion. You'd lose half of that by eating a freaking bowl of fruity pebbles.

That being said, he is wrong. Weight loss depends on calories in and calories out. Obviously eating an EXCESSIVE amount of sugar isn't good for your GENERAL HEALTH, and sugar is high in calories, but as long as you remain in deficit you should be losing.

Also, the type of calories you eat has nothing to do with where you lose weight. Everyone loses weight differently, and as I think a few people said it is often genetic. While I am a pear shape and my bum and thighs are the biggest, I always lose weight in my upper body first. It's frustrating, but you'll get there eventually.

Sugar is a carb.
    Carbs have 4 calories per gram.
    So does protein.
    Fat is 9 calories per gram.

So sugar is not really "high in calories"

Really? o:
    Huh. I guess I never really thought about it that way.
    I just tend to think of sweets like cupcakes and stuff being high-ish in calorie so I attribute it to sugar.
    My mistake.

Cake typically has more calories from fat as sugar. Ever make a cake? Remember all that butter you added?
  • action_man
    action_man Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    EnJL8S3.jpg

Here you go. I've never tracked sugar in my life. Maintain your deficit and you'll lose weight. :drinker:
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    My fitness instructor tells me that my sugar content should not be above 25g a day.

She says that if I keep going over this allowance I won't lose my fat from my middle section.

Is this right? My sugar was set by MFP till I've just changed it to 35g from 63g.

I'm worried now I won't loose it from my stomach or has anyone lost the touch area regardless of sugar intake, just by staying in a calorie deflect
    Just reinforces my opinion of Fitness instructors and trainers the perpetuate more silly myths than any part of the health industry. I just hope his knowledge of training is better than his nutritional knowledge otherwise i'd be taking my custom elsewhere
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    That's the kind of idiocy that gives fitness instructors a bad name . . .
  • maybeazure
    maybeazure Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    NO. Where you lose or gain weight first is determined by genetics. I'd love to lose it from my stomach too. Instead my butt keeps getting smaller. My sister-in-law has the opposite problem. Not much you can do about it other than keep eating at a calorie deficit and eventually your body will have to take the fat from the "trouble zones."

It's somewhat annoying that some personal trainers think they know everything about nutrition...and some of their "science" is a lot more like "religion". Mine is convinced that diet soda is "poison." I just ignore him about that and try to get him to focus on proper weight lifting techniques, which I think he knows and I know that I don't.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    My fitness instructor tells me that my sugar content should not be above 25g a day.

This the general recommendation for added sugar as opposed to total sugar intake. It is pretty meaningless however in the context of a balanced diet where calories are well controlled so unless you have a medical condition or it causes you to over eat don't worry about it.
    She says that if I keep going over this allowance I won't lose my fat from my middle section.

This is generally nonsense. The principal determinant of this is a calorie deficit and genetics. You will lose fat in a pre determined fashion and if you maintain the deficit you will eventually lose it from your mid section.

IIRC there is some evidence that excess refined sugar favours a redistribution of subcutaneous fat (under the skin) towards visceral fat deposits and around the liver (which generally shows up around the midsection.) However, as above, in the context of a balanced, calorie controlled diet it won't really be an issue.
  • Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    25g of sugar really isn't very much sugar at all. That's a silly daily limit, in my opinion. You'd lose half of that by eating a freaking bowl of fruity pebbles.

That being said, he is wrong. Weight loss depends on calories in and calories out. Obviously eating an EXCESSIVE amount of sugar isn't good for your GENERAL HEALTH, and sugar is high in calories, but as long as you remain in deficit you should be losing.

Also, the type of calories you eat has nothing to do with where you lose weight. Everyone loses weight differently, and as I think a few people said it is often genetic. While I am a pear shape and my bum and thighs are the biggest, I always lose weight in my upper body first. It's frustrating, but you'll get there eventually.

Sugar is a carb.
    Carbs have 4 calories per gram.
    So does protein.
    Fat is 9 calories per gram.

So sugar is not really "high in calories"

Really? o:
    Huh. I guess I never really thought about it that way.
    I just tend to think of sweets like cupcakes and stuff being high-ish in calorie so I attribute it to sugar.
    My mistake.

Cake typically has more calories from fat as sugar. Ever make a cake? Remember all that butter you added?

Shut up about my cake butter before I slap you D:<
    My cake butter is INNOCENT.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,565 Member
    Options

Is this right? My sugar was set by MFP till I've just changed it to 35g from 63g.

I'm worried now I won't loose it from my stomach or has anyone lost the touch area regardless of sugar intake, just by staying in a calorie deflect
    Your instructor is echoing broscience that she hears in the gym and fitness magazines. She's purporting that only a low carb diet will help you to lose belly fat and this isn't true. Fat is lost through consistent calorie deficit and negative energy balance. Where you lose it is dictated by your genetics.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • cpusmc
    cpusmc Posts: 122
    Options
    Your instructor is .... all of the above...

This link below gives a very good overview of how sugar is turned into fat when taken into excess and or taken at a time when you are not going to use the sugar for energy.

http://pacificfit.net/article-archive/how-sugar-makes-you-fat/

Good luck...
  • Iknowsaur
    Options

No, your fitness instructor is absolutely not right.

Fitness instructors are in general the last people you should be taking nutrition advice from.

How about chiropractors??

The only person you should be accepting nutritional advice from is your dentist.

The shampoo girl at my salon told me that I need to be doing weekly acai berry cleanses. And your hair is a part of your body, so she's practically a doctor.

Is there a co-pay for your haircuts?
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options

Fitness instructors are in general the last people you should be taking nutrition advice from.

The only person you should be accepting nutritional advice from is your dentist.

It was a joke lol

A lot of people have posted that their chiropractors are giving them nutrition advice.

I'd take the advice of a registered dietician. But I'm a cheapass so I won't be paying for an RD
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    No
  • Iknowsaur
    Options

It was a joke lol

A lot of people have posted that their chiropractors are giving them nutrition advice.

I'd take the advice of a registered dietician. But I'm a cheapass so I won't be paying for an RD

Did you read that as "doctor"? :P
    I was also kidding.
  • IronSmasher
    Options

It was a joke lol

Some RDs also have fitness instruction qualifications.
  • jonnythan
    Options

It was a joke lol

And none of those people are saying you need to stick to <25g sugar a day.
  • IamaWunderWuman
    IamaWunderWuman Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am a Certified Fitness Instructor -

We are NOT legally allowed to give nutritional advice.

We are not trained as nutritionists.

(I'm sure someone probably already said that - if so, I apologize).

I also eat more than 25g of sugar a day...and I lost a bunch of belly fat by doing resistance (strength) training and eating foods as close to their natural state as possible...as in not buying pre-packaged or pre-prepared foods....and drinking LOTS and LOTS of water!

Best of luck!
  • IronSmasher
    Options

It was a joke lol

I dunno... I wouldn't be surprised if a chiropractor said it. Or maybe an over enthusiastic dentist?
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options

Ugh. They let any idiot be a fitness instructor these days. No...she's full of crap. Unless you're a diabetic just use commonsense when consuming sugar. Sugar from fruit is fine (does not give you a license to eat 6 apples in one day). Sugar from treats (cookies, candy, cake ect) is..............well delicious :laugh: ....so limit it, use portion control but you don't have to avoid it all together. Just commonsense ....2 cookies are good, the whole package is bad.
  • jonnythan
    Options

I dunno... I wouldn't be surprised if a chiropractor said it. Or maybe an over enthusiastic dentist?

I was referring to RDs who are also fitness instructors.
  • MsMaryMac48
    MsMaryMac48 Posts: 89 Member
    Options

The shampoo girl at my salon told me that I need to be doing weekly acai berry cleanses. And your hair is a part of your body, so she's practically a doctor.

Is there a co-pay for your haircuts?

I'll bet it's more than the customary $12-$25. :) (The dentist quote just cracked me up! Only to be surpased in hilariousness by the shampoo girl practically being a doctor!! Thanks for the chuckles!!!!