1,700 Calories and hungry?!

Options

Replies

• lunapetu0311
    Options
    For me I find that when I eat lots of small "meals" throughout the day (which alot of people recommend), I feel the most hungry. I feel fuller and more satisfied if I eat three larger meals and two tiny snacks if I get hungry in between. The fuller meals keep me going to the next meal. I do think you definitely need the right balance of protein and carbs to feel satisfied too. I was trying to eat "low carb" and that didn't work -- adding in good carbs (sweet potato, quinoa, rice, etc) helped me feel fuller. Also, drinking alot more water (even when I didn't want to drink it or felt thirsty) helped.

Lastly, I had to change my weight loss goal because trying to lose 2lbs per week @ 1200 calories just wasn't enough for me. I changed it to 1.5lb weekly @ 1470 calories and that has helped tremendously. So maybe try adjusting your weight loss goal (though I understand you don't want to slow down your progress).

Good luck! Hopefully this is just a phase of your body trying to find it's right balance :)
  • Nissi51
    Nissi51 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I'm a similar height and 1700 is enough for me, not that I am obsessive about measuring etc so it's ballpark. If I were you and I was hungry on 1700 then I'd change my goal to 1lb per week and eat more food.

^^ I'll bet you are closer to 2000 than to 1700. :wink:

Ya guys quite the BS

Everyone is different aswel

And I can confidently say that 1700 calories for a 5'10 205lb guy is far too much of a deficit . U probably need more than 2000 like the above poster said .
    Work it out and use the trial and error method to calculate your TRUE TDEE

^^^^^^

EAT buddy! That is way to high of a deficit for you. I am at 5'11, 155 lbs female and I AM HUNGRY at 1700 calories most days :))
  • CkepiJinx
    CkepiJinx Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I am 5'5", 198 lbs, and female and I eat 1700 plus exercise and still lose. Most days I am around 1900 calories.

More protein helps keep me fuller. I am also a snacker so I tend to eat lower calorie meals with lots of snacks during the day. This helps keep me from getting that starving feeling ever.

If you are concerned about bumping up your calories all at once or too much add and extra 100 calories a day and see how that makes you feel. It doesn't have to be done all at once

I definitely think you could add more and still lose. You don't want to end up binging because you are always hungry. Good luck
  • honeylissabee
    honeylissabee Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Suppose you are eating 1,700 calories and losing 2 pounds a week exactly. If you up your calories to 1900, your weight loss might slow to 1.8 pounds a week. Is that really that big of a difference?

Besides, I know you, and I know that your TDEE is probably more than what MFP estimates it is. You probably will be able to stick to a 1,000 calorie deficit and still eat at your BMR or higher.

Try setting your goal to eat your BMR and then wear your FitBit. See if you are burning enough calories there. I definitely understand wanting to have some fast weight loss to hit a goal by summer (I'm in the same situation), but you may need to find some middle ground. If you are hungry all the time, you won't be able to stick to your plan. Maybe you need to accept a slightly slower rate of weight loss... Not necessarily 1 pound a week, but maybe 2 pounds is just too much.

And here's another thing to consider. I've read on here that there are people who lost weight fairly quickly, but basically just looked like smaller versions of their fat selves. However, those who have lost more slowly by eating a bit more and exercising have seen better results physically. So, you might not be at goal by July, but maybe you will look more like you are at goal.
  • Hlschrock1212
    Hlschrock1212 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Great advice
  • ThriceBlessed
    ThriceBlessed Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    2 pounds a week is a lot for someone your height and weight to lose, perhaps slow it down to 1.5 or even 1 pound per week, then you can eat more. Also, be sure to drink your water and get enough protein.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I'm on the 2lbs per week with 1700 calories deficit. Initially, I found it a bit difficult. However, now I'm feeling good and pretty full even before I reach my 1700. I eat a lot of fruit and vegetables. I've found that peanuts and almonds really help me. If I'm feeling like I need more calories, I pop a few of those guys and it fills me up for a while. Just can't eat too many because they are higher in calories than some things. I also drink a lot of water. Most days now, I feel energetic and good. I seriously don't know if I'll be able to eat all the calories I need when it's time to maintain my weight.
    Peanuts and almonds...

I am "starving" at 2200kcal a day.
  • DapperKay
    DapperKay Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Hey OP,

Im on 1700 and I am not hungry but I get sugar cravings in the evenings. 1700 is plenty if spread out properly and with the right macros.

But I plan to keep bumping it up fortnightly till I get to 2100-2200 (my TDEE is 2450 when active, 2100 when not) and stick there for a good 6 months to help ease my body into maintenance.

If you are hungry just up it a little and you'll still lose just not as fast. This ain't a race, only reason I am at this is because I am comfortable with this, not a huge eater, and I was previously even lower so 1700 is okay for the moment.

One word: strategize. If you are on 1700 figure out what that will mean for you over the coming months and years. You need to keep the pounds off and maintain all the good work. This has to all be part of a long term plan.

Use this simulator, it takes into consideration body changes as you go through caloric deficit (TDEE is not an exact science - bodies are different):

http://www.niddk.nih.gov/research-funding/at-niddk/labs-branches/LBM/integrative-physiology-section/body-weight-simulator/Pages/body-weight-simulator.aspx
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Hey OP,

Im on 1700 and I am not hungry but I get sugar cravings in the evenings. 1700 is plenty if spread out properly and with the right macros.

But I plan to keep bumping it up fortnightly till I get to 2100-2200 (my TDEE is 2450 when active, 2100 when not) and stick there for a good 6 months to help ease my body into maintenance.

If you are hungry just up it a little and you'll still lose just not as fast. This ain't a race, only reason I am at this is because I am comfortable with this, not a huge eater, and I was previously even lower so 1700 is okay for the moment.

One word: strategize. If you are on 1700 figure out what that will mean for you over the coming months and years. You need to keep the pounds off and maintain all the good work. This has to all be part of a long term plan.

Use this simulator, it takes into consideration body changes as you go through caloric deficit (TDEE is not an exact science - bodies are different):

http://www.niddk.nih.gov/research-funding/at-niddk/labs-branches/LBM/integrative-physiology-section/body-weight-simulator/Pages/body-weight-simulator.aspx

1700 is plenty if you're a woman.
  • DapperKay
    DapperKay Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Hey OP,

Haha only thing is I am a 26 year old man who is very active :)

Unless you meant OP? He too is a man, 22.
  • weightxlossjourney
    Options
    Try more fruits and vegetables they will keep you feeling full longer.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Hey OP,

I'm eating at 2500. Maybe try putting on some muscles so that you can eat like a man?
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Just some things to consider:

- Meal composition / macros : You said you are eating more protein, which in general is good. However it is hard to know what you mean by "more". Everyone is a little different in this area and you might need to experiment to find what works for you. At 1700 calories it would be reasonable, IMHO, to just target an equal macro split (33 / 33 / 34) as a baseline. Eat that way for a week or so and see what you think. I personally dislike the default MFP macros if that is what you are using.

This. I was starving at 2000 calories with MFP's settings only tweaked for a little more protein. When I switched up the way I was eating to include more fat, I found myself satiated on closer to 1600 calories.

As a general rule of thumb, you should be eating about 1g/lb LBM of protein (usually around 100g-120g), and at least .35g/lb of total body weight of protein, then fill in with fat or carbs however it makes you happy. If you're still starving at what should be a reasonable calorie intake, then try upping your fat for a while and see if it helps.

Also, as others have said, make sure you're eating enough. I've only got about 40lbs on you, and I'm female, and at 1lb/week, I'm allotted nearly 2000 calories at sedentary. 1700 is very likely way too low for you. And while you'd like to lose the weight as fast as possible (don't we all?), trying to lose 2lb/week when you're not morbidly obese isn't going to work out too well in general. You're more likely to lose quite a bit of muscle along with fat, and you're more likely to not be able to fuel your body properly for everything it needs to do. As nice as it would be to be able to rock a swimsuit with a six-pack come summer, you're better off doing it in a way that's sustainable and healthy, even if it means waiting until next summer to rock the six-pack.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

I'm eating at 2500. Maybe try putting on some muscles so that you can eat like a man?

They need like buttons on the forum posts. Even at sedentary, I eat about 2000.
  • oneloopygirl
    oneloopygirl Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    That is enough for a woman with your stats, but men need to eat more. Seriously. I'm a woman, smaller than you, no cardio & a desk job, and I eat more than you. Come on! Eat like a man!

As of right now I have just been following what MFP recommends.

I know I have to accept that I should probably have a slower rate of weight loss, but at the same time I would love to have most of this weight off by the summer so I am not completely miserable this year. If I am for a loss of 1 pound per week I would not reach goal until close to the end of this year.

If I do chose to bump up my calories, should I just eat close to my BMR? Or would be better to just use the MFP recommendation and rely on the FitBit calorie adjustment for how many extra calories to eat?

Like everyone else, I recommend eating more. Don't set deadlines on loss. It sets you up for stress and failure. Most everyone loses fast to start and then it slows. It took me nearly 18 months to hit my ultimate goal.Trying to lose too fast generally results in falling off and rebound gains.

You should always aim to eat at least what your BMR is and eat at least some of those activity/exercise calories back. You'll stall your loss if you continue to undereat. And you'll risk long-term damage to your metabolism and loss of healthy muscle mass.

From experience... WW seems to almost make you under eat. When logging calories versus points and dual tracking for a while, I always ran out of points before calories. And I felt better after tracking here and eating more (and lost a few pounds, even though I came here in maintenance). I have a feeling I would have lost faster than the 18 months it took me if I'd come to MFP sooner.
  • KeepGoingKylene
    KeepGoingKylene Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I am a woman only 5'3" and I eat 1900, no wonder you are hungry!
    Eat my friend, eat!
  • thedreamsaver
    Options
    Some need to eat more frequently throughout the day so snack on low calorie veggies like carrots or bell peppers to hold you over until your meals. Works for me and I'm at 1500 cal. 47 y/o male and have lost 12 pounds in 6 weeks.
  • Sarah4fitness
    Sarah4fitness Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Currently I have my weight loss goal set to lose 2 pounds a week and at a lightly active activity level because of my job. Currently this gives me a daily calorie goal of 1,710.

1,700 calories should be an adequate amount but I tend to find myself feeling hungry throughout the day. I have been hearing a lot of different pieces of advice lately such as needing to eat at my BMR or TDEE. However, doing either of these would increase my calorie goal by several hundred calories and I fear that would ultimately slow down my progress. Also part of the reason why I like the idea of a lower number is that it allows for a margin or error (ex. incorrect NI at a restaurant or underestimating a portion) but if I am at a higher calorie goal I will have less room for mistakes.

1.) Eating below your BMR will be counterproductive in the long run. If your goal is SUSTAINABLE fat loss, losing 2lbs a week consistently will be extremely difficult, and you will be hungry. The less fat your body carries, the hungrier you will be. See the following link for the science behind this.
    LINK: http://teamatrain.com/are-you-really-hungry/

2.) Drink more water. I drink a gallon a day or more. More often than not, your body signals hunger when in fact you're in need of hydration. Try that.

3.) If you're REALLY dedicated to fat loss, make fewer "mistakes". Measure your food on a scale. Know how many grams and ounces of foods you're actually consuming. If you're eating out a lot, it's VERY difficult to know exactly what you're eating. Know what makes eating out taste good? Fats. Butter. Sugar. Do some research about the places you're eating, if they don't post nutrition facts about each food, maybe choose a different place to eat. (And know that even if they DO post nutrition facts, they're a rough estimate as serving sizes and portions will vary depending on the cook.)