Protein Intolerance?

Options

Replies

• Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Yes I do sometimes have gull bladder attacks. Usually from fast food. Do you know what foods to avoid? I'd hate to have surgery when I could just quit irritating it.

Can't be sugar, before I started eating cleanish I ate candy like a man woman lol.

Sounds like a gall bladder problem then.

My mother had similar issues.

She also tried to not have surgery and just not irritate it, which basically involves watching your fat intake.

But... she ended up slightly yellow and in agony about a year later and because of where the gallstone had got itself stuck it was not an easy operation.

My advice is GO SEE A DOCTOR!
  • copselily
    Options
    Yes I do sometimes have gull bladder attacks. Usually from fast food. Do you know what foods to avoid? I'd hate to have surgery when I could just quit irritating it.

Can't be sugar, before I started eating cleanish I ate candy like a man woman lol.

I'm not sure 100%, so check with a doctor. But from MY experience of this problem... (this runs in my family, I suffer with it and my mother also had her gall bladder out) then its an intolerance to the fat in the food. For example, a curry from an indian takeaway or a KFC usually makes me feel really bad. Are you frying things in a lot of oil? Again, I wouldn't like to assume too much for you, these are just some pointers. :smile:
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    You're pregnant

You're sick

Space aliens have taken over your body

Maybe see a doctor?
  • Erinelda
    Options
    Thank you guys. I only have one brain and you gave me a lot of ideas. Since I have gull bladder attacks I am thinking that since protein sits in the stomach longer it is doing the thing someone said but it isn't the protein itself. I really don't want surgery so I will look up food ideas for my situation and see if any of it helps or something. This is a bummer, I am not sure you can 'fix' a gull bladder like you can fix avoiding too much protein :/
  • train_01
    train_01 Posts: 135 Member
    Options

For me, the gall bladder issues were ususally made worse by eggs. I layed off them and it got a little better but honestly, what I found out prior to having it out was that my gall bladder just didn't function properly (like 15% of normal) so it didn't matter what I ate per se, because eventually it would have to come out anyway. I just figured, enough was enough and got it out while I was younger rather than waiting until I couldn't stand it anymore. It was my second surgery in 2 years (emergency appendectomy the year before) but it was worth it becuase I felt 1000 times better afterword and was only down for about 5 days.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys. I only have one brain and you gave me a lot of ideas. Since I have gull bladder attacks I am thinking that since protein sits in the stomach longer it is doing the thing someone said but it isn't the protein itself. I really don't want surgery so I will look up food ideas for my situation and see if any of it helps or something. This is a bummer, I am not sure you can 'fix' a gull bladder like you can fix avoiding too much protein :/

Its the fat, not protein that affects the gall bladder, if the other posters are correct. That said, try low protein for a few weeks, or try low fat for a few weeks, or try gluten free for a few weeks. By doing this you will get a better idea of what triggers it. Or better yet, go see a doctor.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I suppose you could try eliminating eggs and meat and other high protein sources and eating mostly fruits and vegetables for a couple of days and see if you feel better.

Maybe your body just doesn't like cream of wheat. Try oatmeal instead.
  • Erinelda
    Options
    I haven't let someone touch me in three years due to fatness so pregnancy is out lol. Thanks guys :P
    I am not the type who avoids dr's but it's like they never know either then they try to put you on whatever pill they are sponsored by.

Edit: I am not eating a high fat diet though :/
  • GymRatGirl13
    GymRatGirl13 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    You said you are eating "massive meals". I've been dealing with similar issues for the past 3 years. I used to eat every 2.5 to 3 hours and it caused my digestive system to get all messed up. I then switched to eating less frequently and with more easily digestible foods (fruits and veggies) and I am starting to feel much better. When you eat "heavy" carbs like steel oats and cream of wheat in large amounts, combined with "massive" amounts of food in one sitting, these symtoms you described will happen. I would try to eat less quanitiy with the heavy carbs and have a few light, easily digestible items in between meals. See if that helps.
  • copselily
    Options

I haven't had surgery but I manage it in different ways. I take Lansoprazole (consult your doctor!) to reduce the stomach acids. If you're having an attack, the best thing to do is do not eat any more food (it will just sit on top of the other food in your stomach and rot) and try to drink water, and milk as it can calm down the stomach acids. Try to make a diary of when it happens and take into account other things than food, as sometimes other factors can trigger it, for me it's usually travelling (like a long flight), or taking things like sleeping tablets. Anything that slows the digestive system down is generally problematic if you suffer with this problem. Good luck and hope you find some relief!! :smile:

Edit to add: if you're feeling abnormally full and doing foul smelling, or sicky burps, then your food is definitely rotting in your stomach.
  • train_01
    train_01 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Pills won't fix a gall bladder...so no worries on that! They may try to give you what they called a litocaine cocktail which would get rid of the pain. Word of warning though, it is the nastiest liquid I've ever had!

I don't think it was the protein in the eggs but rather the sulfer that set it off.
  • you know what?

everyone keeps saying it's probably not a protein intolerance and you keep not liking that answer and bringing it back to it's a protein intolerance..

for whatever reasons you have...you WANT it to be a protein intolerance....

so...there's your answer...you ARE protein intolerant...i guess....if you want...

really? the answer is clear...go to a doctor get tested...

they can tell you exactly what you aren't agreeing with...they may even say....guess what?? you are protein intolerant.

but until then...you think what you want to...if you want to continue arguing with everyone that has a different suggestion...that's up to you...
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I haven't let someone touch me in three years due to fatness so pregnancy is out lol. Thanks guys :P
    I am not the type who avoids dr's but it's like they never know either then they try to put you on whatever pill they are sponsored by.

Maybe not, but your fat intake is a higher % than your protein most days, meaning your diet is higher in fat than it is protein, yet you keep saying it is protein causing it. (It may be protein, but it may not)
  • psych0kitty
    Options
    Or maybe you picked up a virus.

That gets my vote.

There's been a thing going around where you're nauseous and weak for at least a week, sometimes with vomiting, sometimes not.
  • lrmall01
    lrmall01 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I think it may be protein because days I eat a lot of protein I feel like a bag of dog crap lol. The cream of wheat meal was only 14 grams of protein, I couldn't tell you why I wanted to die so bad after. That's why I am asking.

Yes but I eat dairy a lot and it doesn't bother me at all.

Lizzy.. Maybe that is a thing, maybe I ate too big of a meal too early. Maybe I should try cream of wheat for dinner sometime and see if it tries to murder me again.

It could easily be the protein, this happens to me when I drink protein shakes, I feel so incredibly nauseas, I don't really bother with them anymore. I'm not as bad as when eating lots of protein though...maybe because it doesn't digest as fast as the shakes.

I would think that this is more of a lactose intolerance issue than a protein issue. IIRC whey concentrates have a pretty high level of lactose but whey isolates do not.

For the OP - I second an "elimination diet" approach where remove foods that are typically sources of irritation and add them in systematically to see which ones cause a flare up.
  • copselily
    Options

Maybe not, but your fat intake is a higher % than your protein most days, meaning your diet is higher in fat than it is protein, yet you keep saying it is protein causing it. (It may be protein, but it may not)

Yeah. No one on this forum can say what she has for sure, but from my experience it sounds like a fat intolerance but the high protein makes it worse. Sometimes it can be difficult to distinguish the two, for e.g. if you fried up a burger patty in oil, it would be difficult to tell which factor was making you sick.
  • Erinelda
    Options
    I don't keep bringing it back to protein intolerance though lol. Someone asked me why I thought that and I was saying so and I settled on it is probably my gull bladder so WTF you talking about xD.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    You're barely eating protein. I see fat and carbs. Get your gall bladder issue fixed but it isn't protein.
  • Erinelda
    Options
    And I am not an argumentative person so I sure as @#$% am not arguing. I am getting a lot of help and insight, but if dairy seems fine and fat seems fine then I am not going to pretend like it bothers me dude LOL. Just relax.

Some of you guys are really smart.

Thanks again guys, I will look into my gull bladder and I don't see improvement I will tell my Dr.
  • AmykinsCatfood
    AmykinsCatfood Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I don't keep bringing it back to protein intolerance though lol. Someone asked me why I thought that and I was saying so and I settled on it is probably my gull bladder so WTF you talking about xD.

First of all, it's GALL bladder. If you have an issue with it, you should probably know how to spell it. Secondly, there is a lot of good advice in here, the main point being GO SEE YOUR DOCTOR. No one on here knows how you are feeling and can make determinations based on what you have told us. If you don't like what one doctor has to say, go see another one. You are allowed to do that you know.