I kind of get it now

Options
Mar22ie
Mar22ie Posts: 39 Member
Now I somewhat understand why I haven't been losing weight after a couple months of working out. I have never counted calories before, and after day one on MFP, I get it. I seriously snack myself to weight gain. Last night I cooked dinner for my daughters. I had a Lean Cuisine Pizza. My girls usually don't finish their food, so it's nothing to grab a couple bites of their left overs. I started towards their yummy organic chicken nuggets and reached for them, then pulled back. It was really hard. I had already reached my caloric intake for the day and that would have taken me over. I've never pulled back from their food before, so this was kind of a big deal :smile: I don't think I have ever been under what I need to be for calories. Day two was much better, and I got in 17 minutes of cardio. This is going to be hard, but I really want to feel better about myself and get back to being me again.

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Good for you for figuring this out! It's a big step towards your goal. Food logging is one of the reasons MFP is such an invaluable tool. It's definitely eye-opening to realize how much we really eat when we aren't paying attention. Weight loss is really 80% nutrition and 20% exercise so keep doing what you're doing and you'll soon start to see real results. Best wishes!
  • RomaWT
    RomaWT Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I realized that too when I started really counting calories.

Sometimes I put in the foods I am planning to eat in the diary before I actually eat them to see how the calories and macros play out. That has helped me make good decisions about what to eat and what to avoid.

Good luck!
  • latenitelucy
    latenitelucy Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Every little step is a step in the right direction! Good for you!
  • generallyme2
    generallyme2 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    That sounds like a great start, especially being aware of what you're eating :) Sometimes we don't realize just how much those little bites add up! Keep it up and good luck!
  • TAMayorga
    TAMayorga Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean about snacking from your kids' leftovers. I used to do the same thing, especially as I am of the "clean plate" generation. What I tell myself now to stop this habit is "your body is not the garbage disposal of this house". It works for me. :flowerforyou:
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    Oh, can I sympathize! Mom's cleaning up their children's plates so as not to waste food. My kids are now grown, but I used to do the same thing. I had to remind myself that my waist was more important food waste.
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I found myself doing that with my kids too. I have stopped, I just hate throwing food away, but if they don't finish, that doesn't mean I have to! I can't anymore, because you are so right.
  • mthr2
    mthr2 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling. Whenever I do the "a bite here; a bite there" thing and log it, it really adds up fast. Damn kids and their nuggets!
  • Foodiethinking
    Foodiethinking Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I realized that too when I started really counting calories.

Sometimes I put in the foods I am planning to eat in the diary before I actually eat them to see how the calories and macros play out. That has helped me make good decisions about what to eat and what to avoid.

Good luck!
  • ZOOpergal
    ZOOpergal Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I realized I forgot to log the olive oil i was using to saute my tilapia...holy crap thats a lot of calories. I think I'm gonna switch to canola oil!
  • LisaR86
    LisaR86 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Good job! :smile:
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I realized I forgot to log the olive oil i was using to saute my tilapia...holy crap thats a lot of calories. I think I'm gonna switch to canola oil!
    Fat is fat and most fats have the same amount of calories. Canola oil is not going to have fewer enough calories to compensate for all of the good qualities of olive oil, IMHO. Just try using a litle less olive oil. Maybe instead of frying it mist the fish with olive oil (there are some nice olive oil misters out there) and bake it instead?
  • Mar22ie
    Options
    Thanks so much!!! It's this crazy revelations and a serious light bulb moment for me.
  • Mar22ie
    Options
    Trying to get used to this really great page. Really interesting on here. I always tried to do this solo, and never really considered sharing my journey. I got a really nice boost reading the comments. Thank you!
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much!!! It's this crazy revelations and a serious light bulb moment for me.

Completely know what you mean! I did a lot of the same things you did. I also learned a lot when I got my food scale.

You hear it a lot on here. Most folks who don't see results seem to either be eating more than they realize or over-estimating calories burned doing exercise. And it's a good bit trickier than it sounds to get either right. Great for you for figuring it out!
  • Mar22ie
    Options

Completely know what you mean! I did a lot of the same things you did. I also learned a lot when I got my food scale.

You hear it a lot on here. Most folks who don't see results seem to either be eating more than they realize or over-estimating calories burned doing exercise. And it's a good bit trickier than it sounds to get either right. Great for you for figuring it out!

Thank you!!! :happy:
  • firesweetheart
    firesweetheart Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    This is going to be hard, but I really want to feel better about myself and get back to being me again.

This is what it's all about. And being there for your kids later in life. Congrats at "getting it" for yourself!

Edited for horrible grammar.
  • tufchic
    tufchic Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thats awesome what a win!
  • Clash1001
    Clash1001 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I do the same - husband is a 'snacker' so often leaves bits of his tea, which end up in my tummy!

Or did, anyway.

I also use mfp to plan all my meals for the day - there's nothing more disheartening than getting to tea time and discovering you've already eaten your full days worth!
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    there you go: its the little things that add up. I like the saying "if you bite, you write it" I keep a written journal with me at all times as well as logging into mfp. it helps me to keep accountable in what I eat, drink, do and think on a daily basis. You got this.