quitting lean cuisine, make ahead ideas?

Options
I need to quit lean cuisine! I know they aren't that great for me, but I like that the are low calorie and keep me full, but I know they have tons of sodium... and weird ingredients I can't pronounce.

I don't have much time, or money...

I need some quick. easy, cheap lunch ideas.

I like putting together meals a few days ahead of time so I can just grab and go in the mornings.

give me something balanced, with fat, protein, and carbs please =) oh, and I'm lactose intolerant, but I can handle yogurt and yogurt cheeses.

I'd like to stay in the 275-400 calorie range.

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I cook extra portions of dinner and freeze them. Soon I have a nice selection of healthy frozen meals.

Here's a recipe I just posted in a "what to do w/ a whole chicken" thread:

I remove the skin (save it to make stock later) and put the whole chicken in a 6-qt. Crock-Pot with an entire head of garlic (peeled), the peel & juice of one lemon or two limes, salt & pepper to taste, and fresh or dried herbs. For example, lemon rosemary or cilantro lime. If there's room, I put veggies in the bottom of the slow cooker: celery, carrot, parsnip, white potato, sweet potato, squash, green beans… That's it—no liquid.

The chicken falls off the bone. I put the bones, skin, gizzards & neck in the Crock-Pot, cover w/ water, add a splash of apple cider vinegar (it supposedly leaches calcium from the bones, plus I love the taste), and cook overnight (or longer). Voila, homemade bone broth.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    Every Sunday I prep my meals for the week and portion the protein and carb in a tupperware. I add a salad or veggies to round it out. I keep it pretty simple. Chicken, fish, turkey burgers and salmon burgers and experiment with different seasonings. My carb is rice, butternut squash or a sweet potato. If you go on Pinterest and type in meal prep ideas you can find lots of ideas there as well as Instagram.
  • ethompso0105
    ethompso0105 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I used to do a lot of salads for lunch--I would use the bagged salad (1/2 bag a day) with some added toppings. I kept some healthier dressings at work for these days. I'm also a big fan of yogurts and nuts for lunch (I have a hard time eating full meals at lunch time--I prefer snacking).

My go-to quick meal (which also makes an excellent lunch) is Chicken Nachos (serves 6-8):
    1# boneless, skinless chicken breast cut into bit size pieces
    1 jar salsa
    1 can black beans (rinsed)--optional

Brown the chicken in a skillet (you may need to spray with cooking spray to prevent sticking). When fully cooked, add jar of salsa and black beans. Let simmer 15-20 minutes. This is good over salad, chips, rice, cornbread, etc. I often eat it alone, as well. You can top any way you wish. I've topped with shredded yogurt cheese and fat-free, plain greek yogurt, too. Super yummy!
  • marypatmccue
    marypatmccue Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I agree, make ahead crockpot meals are a good idea... I cook in my crockpot 3-5 times a week, and keep the leftovers for lunches.

I also wanted to point out that, if you can have cheeses and yogurt, you're probably not lactose intolerant, unless you're buying lactose free cheeses and yogurts, which are available. I'd look to see if you might be having a different food sensitivity, because... it doesn't make sense you could have some dairy products but not others... since they all have lactose in them....
  • fettgeist
    fettgeist Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I don't have many recipes because I'm somewhat of a meat & potatoes person, but as mentioned before, I also cook in bulk a few days ahead and keep things in containers. Lean cuts of beef, chicken, ground chicken (form chicken meatballs or patties), ground turkey, salmon.... and season the eff out of it.
    I usually just buy huge bags of frozen broccoli and sautee it with garlic & onion and/or with the meat.
    I also buy pre-cooked rice (lazy) and throw that in as well, so it's like making a stir-fry. I make tons of stir-fry. I use a little soy sauce or salsa as any kind of sauce if I need it. I also eat cans of black or pinto beans, or sweet potatoes.
    The main sources of fat from that are the beef and fish. I don't eat cheese but occasionally /greek/ yogurt (it has protein - plain yogurt is a waste of time). I eat tons of avocado and sometimes nuts.
  • erockem
    erockem Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Sunday is my cooking day for the week. My go to is chicken breasts. So Sunday it's a 3lb bag into the oven. All week I can make wraps, buffalo hot sauce meals, salads, omelets, etc. Pair it with almost anything. At the same time I cook up several cups of red beans, or asparagus, or some other vegetable. Sometimes hard-boil several eggs, make 1.5lbs of ground turkey, bake fish, etc.

I weigh everything and package it up for the week.

I should note that I used to eat LC's at least daily for lunch and occasionally for dinner up until 2 years ago. None since getting a game plan.
  • ethompso0105
    ethompso0105 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I also wanted to point out that, if you can have cheeses and yogurt, you're probably not lactose intolerant, unless you're buying lactose free cheeses and yogurts, which are available. I'd look to see if you might be having a different food sensitivity, because... it doesn't make sense you could have some dairy products but not others... since they all have lactose in them....

As a formerly lactose intolerant person (thank goodness I outgrew that!) I can attest that some people are lactose intolerant to all but specific things. While I was intolerant, I could handle some cheeses, but the rest got to me. My sister who's still lactose intolerant can eat yogurt--something about how it's fermented that lessens/stops the intolerance from occurring.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I bring leftovers most days because I cook a healthy dinner most nights. If you don't cook dinner, then making a pot of stew, soup or chili that can provide lunch all week is a good option.

Sandwich wraps using low-calorie wraps or tortilla are also a quick easy options.
  • marypatmccue
    Options

As a formerly lactose intolerant person (thank goodness I outgrew that!) I can attest that some people are lactose intolerant to all but specific things. While I was intolerant, I could handle some cheeses, but the rest got to me. My sister who's still lactose intolerant can eat yogurt--something about how it's fermented that lessens/stops the intolerance from occurring.

Interesting -- learn something new. I was lactose intolerant for multiple years (22-26) and any amount of anything with dairy in it killed me... turns out it was stress induced. They do have a really nice selection fo lactose-free products now, that I'm super jealous of... lucky lactose intolerant people now-a-days.
  • kikiboniki
    kikiboniki Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I agree, make ahead crockpot meals are a good idea... I cook in my crockpot 3-5 times a week, and keep the leftovers for lunches.

good point. the cheese I can eat is from trader joes, its lactose free. and the yogurts I tolerate, I think its because of the active cultures. I should get checked out for food intolerances though. I know I need to.
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I cooked a whole package of chicken breasts ahead of time to take to school with me! Now I can have grilled chicken in the microwave in 5 minutes. Then I cook up some minute rice or whole grain pasta and frozen veggies. :)

My mom also cooks and freezes homemade chicken soup, beef stew, and noodles.
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    I cook extra portions of dinner and freeze them. Soon I have a nice selection of healthy frozen meals.

I remove the skin (save it to make stock later) and put the whole chicken in a 6-qt. Crock-Pot with an entire head of garlic (peeled), the peel & juice of one lemon or two limes, salt & pepper to taste, and fresh or dried herbs. For example, lemon rosemary or cilantro lime. If there's room, I put veggies in the bottom of the slow cooker: celery, carrot, parsnip, white potato, sweet potato, squash, green beans… That's it—no liquid.

The chicken falls off the bone. I put the bones, skin, gizzards & neck in the Crock-Pot, cover w/ water, add a splash of apple cider vinegar (it supposedly leaches calcium from the bones, plus I love the taste), and cook overnight (or longer). Voila, homemade bone broth.
    This chicken sounds yum. I've just started using my crock and this would be great, so this is kind of a bump for me! How long do you have to cook the chicken for?
  • marypatmccue
    Options
    When I do mine... I do 6-8 hours on low. If you're doing a WHOLE chicken, I don't advise putting it in completely frozen, though... you could. It should pull apart easily when it's done, practically be falling apart.
  • stsanche
    stsanche Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    my new favorite for lunch is to make a BLT sandwich with turkey bacon, a whole roma tomato and two egg whites. I just pack the whole tomato, two slices of bread, pre-cook the bacon and egg for a min at home and pack it up. I just assemble it at work. So good.
  • KeepCalmNGetyaSweatOn
    Options
    Like the others I eat dinners left overs. I'll make an extra portion knowing I'll need it for the next day.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options

This chicken sounds yum. I've just started using my crock and this would be great, so this is kind of a bump for me! How long do you have to cook the chicken for?
    I buy the chicken w/ the thing that pops up when it's done. If I leave it on low while I'm at work, it falls off the bone. If I cook it on high until it "pops" (approx. 4 hours, maybe?), it's carveable. (I also prefer the taste when done on high.)
  • ashley11scott
    ashley11scott Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    lunches just make left over dinner!

or

-english muffin with chicken and cheese
    -tuna wrap
    -salads
    -protien muffins (ground chicken,oatmeal,veggies)
    -egg muffins (egg whites, veggies)
    -fish and veggies
  • pita7317
    pita7317 Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    My favs for lunch:

Wholly Guacamole 100 cal packets
    Wasa Light Rye Crisp Bread
    Philly cream cheese 1/3 less fat chive onion
    3 oz mini cans albacore tuna or smoked oysters
    Lower sodium deli ham cheese sandwich 1/2 with the norm lettuce, must, mayo, cucumber chips...
    Cottage cheese fresh pineapple spears, mandarin oranges.
    Leftover chic/steak from dinner , small amount diced/sliced over a salad with a decent dressing.
    Spanish peanuts, in moderation.
  • SuperSvelteLana
    SuperSvelteLana Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Egg muffins - your favorite omelette in muffin tins. Make the night before, keep in the fridge and reheat.

If you separate the eggs and whip the whites to peaks and fold into the yolks and other ingredients they bake up tall and fluffy.