Hello to pre-menopausal 50ish women, 5'3" or so, +/- 133lbs

Options
I'm only a few pounds away now - maybe two or three months more (I've dropped my goals to ½lb a week).

Just starting to plan ahead and try to have a strategy to maintain my weight at 9 ½ stone. I'm wondering what sort of calorie intake women similar to me are maintaining at?

I'm about 5'3",(ed) I'll be 51 in April, currently 141lbs, I don't have a formal exercise regime. I have sedentary days (desk-bound) and days where I do lots of walking or gardening or other moderate (sometimes more vigourous like digging or rambling) activity. I'll be getting back into swimming as soon as I have an income again. Quite a mixture across a typical week.

I know it'll probably take me a while to pinpoint my maintenance level, but thought it might help to get a picture of what works for woman similar to me. When I tried a variety of TDEE calculators to work out my deficit, I got something like 8 different figures, and just plumped for the average of them all. So I can do that again, but it would be interesting to know what works for real women :smile:

Replies

• kcragg
    kcragg Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Hi

I am 51 and reached my goal about 12 months ago and I have been maintaining since then, at first all went well but iI have put on a bit of weight since I have relaxed my regime a bit nnd I need to get my *kitten* in gear!! Bascially, you do more of the same as when you were losing, if you stop and eat more you will put on weight. You need to be sensible and listen to your body, as what works for one will not work for another. Don't be swayed by other encouraging you to eat more to lose. This will work for some, espcially if you are young and active, but not for others. I have noticed that as I am getting older I need less food, I guess it is hormonal!

I would suggest adding weight training to you exercises, you can get excellent results from 30 minutes of weigh training three times a week. you can do it at home with very little cost and no gym membership needed. You will not get bulky, with huge muscles as women don't have the same levels of testosterone as men. One of the advantages of weigh training is that you continue to burn calories throughout the day, whereas with cardio ( which is also good exercise) once you finish the workout you stop burning calories. Give it a go!

Good luck :smile:
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    Hello, I have a fitbit One. It calculates my calories so I don't have to do all the math. Good Luck!
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    I am 5'5" and weigh 133 pounds, age 53. Without exercise I can maintain at about 1500 calories. I am on Stage 1 of New Rules of Weightlifting for Women and can attest to the benefits of weightlifting. I am sleeping more and feeling better. No joint pain or aches. I feel like I have found my youth again!
  • eso2012
    eso2012 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I am 45, 5'3", 110-112 lbs. I definitely recommend a good mix of cardio (whatever level you are at, HIIT works well), strength training (check out bodyweight, free weight, resistance....anything to get your started) and flexibility training. I do Pilates, HIIT, and a whole bunch of stuff like dance, Jillian Michaels etc.

I find the 1200-1500 very difficult to maintain. I have a huge appetite!! Since MFP and losing 20+ pounds and working out regularly, I am more into the eat-and-move mindset. I too am in front of the computer most of the time (ok, all the time!) but my workouts are super efficient. Would be great if I can move more...even just go for a walk every few hours to clear my mind from my desk. Surely all adds up.

If you are unclear about numbers, personallly I would suggest using a HRM for workout and beware of what you consume vs expend, as opposed to a generic TDEE number. But when you start working out regularly, you should be able to use the "active X days a week" and get an estimate.

I have been reminded that no one number can be an absolute :)
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2", 131 lb., 45 years old. Maintenance takes a whole lot of trial & error to find the number of calories at which your weight stabilizes. Slowly increase your calories until you start gaining, then decrease them even more slowly until you maintain.

Your weight will fluctuate, so choose a range (for example, +/- 2.5 lb.). When your weight goes above your range, cut your calories by 100. When your weight goes below your range, add 100 calories.

Congratulations on your loss!
  • SephiraRose
    SephiraRose Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss. I'm the same age but just starting on my journey.
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Camera_BagintheUK Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss. I'm the same age but just starting on my journey.

Well good for you! I started in November 2012 and never dreamed I'd be here! I thought the weight was there to stay! And I'm not someone who has much self discipline! You'll do it!
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Camera_BagintheUK Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, yes, I am aiming for 9½ stone so that I have a bit of room before I hit "overweight" again, but I don't plan on allowing my weight to fluctuate more than 2 or 3 lbs over! It's easier to lose a couple of pounds than a couple of stone! And I'm anticipating that things like Christmas will mean I put a pound or two on! That's where I started with the extra 3½ stone in the first place! So I shall weigh myself regularly and keep an eye! And not despair when I do put a couple of pounds on! Now that I know how to shed them again :bigsmile: