new to Greek yogurt

Options
bynsky
bynsky Posts: 15,835 Member
So, our large Iowa dairy started selling a Greek yogurt. At 89 cents for a 6 oz container I had to try it. (my regular yogurt from this dairy is 60 cents a container) - I picked up a clementine flavored one and a blueberry flavored one. Decided to try the clementine flavor one first, and it's...well.... odd. I like the consistency, but there's a taste I can't quite describe to it. Not sure if this is from the clementine flavor, or the yogurt itself. It's not tart or bitter like some of the other threads describe, just.... odd.

Anyone who eats Greek style yogurt on a regular basis have any insight? This has 14g of protein and 0g fiber per container, where my regular has 7g protein plus 3g of fiber. Not sure if it's worth the switch.

Replies

• binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    So, our large Iowa dairy started selling a Greek yogurt. At 89 cents for a 6 oz container I had to try it. (my regular yogurt from this dairy is 60 cents a container) - I picked up a clementine flavored one and a blueberry flavored one. Decided to try the clementine flavor one first, and it's...well.... odd. I like the consistency, but there's a taste I can't quite describe to it. Not sure if this is from the clementine flavor, or the yogurt itself. It's not tart or bitter like some of the other threads describe, just.... odd.

Anyone who eats Greek style yogurt on a regular basis have any insight? This has 14g of protein and 0g fiber per container, where my regular has 7g protein plus 3g of fiber. Not sure if it's worth the switch.
    I am now hooked on Chanobi. Love it. Looked like spackle but tried it anyway. A little expensive at $1.39 a container, but worth it. I get the fruit on the bottom kind, because I am lazy.
  • OGFleabag
    OGFleabag Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I am addicted to Chobani too! does look nasty til you mix it up, I get mine at Costco for 11.55 for a 12 pk. mmm....blueberry
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    I live on Chobani and one of the supermarkets near me has it for $1 for a 6 oz container. Also you can get a 12 pack for $10.99 at BJs. I can't handle the plain...I've tried it many many times, but I love the vanilla, all the berry flavours and pomegranate:heart:

I picked up a Brown Cow vanilla the other day at the store (5.3 ounces for $1) and it's really good as well. I mixed some pomgranate seeds into it and yummy.
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    I am addicted to Chobani too! does look nasty til you mix it up, I get mine at Costco for 11.55 for a 12 pk. mmm....blueberry
    I was eating strawberry and banana while typing they reply out.
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,051 Member
    Options
    It does have a different flavor especially if you are used to something like yoplait light fat free... personally I prefer the tartness of Greek Yogurt and the texture makes it seem more filling to me.

Instead of using the local guy's try one of the commercial brands to compare it to.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Chobani really does rock my socks!

Part of the taste is likely the yogurt I find it doesnt mix well with sweeteners- I really stay away from the too sweet flavors. It is a tart kind of flavor tho- I like plain with lemon juice (to emphasize to my brain that its closer to a savory snack than sweet, also I find it cuts the flavor well) or the honey.

Yoplait has a vanilla that has helped my roomie move into the greek yogurt taste w/o the weirdness. It just doesnt taste like reg yogurt- I used to think mine was spoiled everytime I opened a new pack cuz it just didn't smell how i expected it to!

But it's never rly going to be cheap- that usually means its kind of watery or the flavors just don't work together.
  • tigertchr23
    tigertchr23 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    The Greek yogurt does have kind of a sour taste to it . . . like sour cream does. I have tried the Yoplait and the Fage. I like the Fage much better. I have any bought the plain and added my own fruit to it. I love it with blueberries or sometimes bananas and I sprinkle cinnamon on top.
  • emersoam
    emersoam Posts: 179
    Options
    Greek yogurt does take some "getting used to" in my opinion. And some flavors and brands are better than others. You have to try different ones out and see which you like. It does have more protein than regular yogurt, but beyond that it's not significantly better for you. The worst part is that it is so expensive!
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,051 Member
    Options
    It does have a different flavor especially if you are used to something like yoplait light fat free... personally I prefer the tartness of Greek Yogurt and the texture makes it seem more filling to me.

Instead of using the local guy's try one of the commercial brands to compare it to.

We don't get much of the commercial brands around here - just Dannon & Yoplait, and they're WAY higher in sugar & calories.

I wish I had a local dairy to go and try things from... not too many of them around NYC or even where I live in Jersey. IF you find one it would not be cheap like the place you are talking about... best case it would be twice as expensive as what you can get in the supermarket.
  • adkmountainguy
    adkmountainguy Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Another vote here for Fage with fresh fruit. Throw some chopped walnuts on there as well, and that's breakfast for me most days!
  • tessa681
    tessa681 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    After trying several different brands of the Greek Yogurt I find the Chobani to be the best and well worth the extra cost compared to the store brands!!
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I HATE Chobani greek yogurt. I tried it in 2 different flavors to try it twice but it was like eating paste. It was NASTY. I'll stick with my regular lol.
  • sepatown410
    Options
    Love Greek yogurt, I'm a fairly new convert to it. It's a bit more expensive and chock full of protein, and therefore much more filling to me.

I have Chobani in my fridge, haven't tried it yet. But I usually eat Fage.

One of my favorite healthy meals here at work is a big salad with some grilled chicken, feta, some veggies and balsamic vinegar. Add Greek yogurt and water (or a diet soda) and I'm stuffed at around 400 calories and have consumed plenty of protein to support my workouts.
  • starkiss100
    starkiss100 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I have only tried the Dannon because I have had coupons for it. It's usually about 1.39 each I think. It's ok, but I think I want to try the other brands out there.
  • justahorsen
    Options
    I use the plain to make chip dip for the hubby....he likes it but I don't it dip so I don't know what it tastes like LOL. I eat the Kroger brand Carbmaster or Lite yogurts because I try to avoid aspartame....most yogurts that are "light" are full of it.....
  • ashley0616
    ashley0616 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Do they have a plain variety you can try? I buy Brown Cow plain nonfat Greek yogurt and I love it. With the plain, you can add nuts, berries, granola, whatever to it and you don't add much sugar or any of the bad stuff that can come along with additives from the manufacturer. I personally haven't found a mainstream brand that does as good of a job, I think the yoplait and dannon varieties of Greek yogurt are thin and not nearly as tasty. If your local dairy has a plain option, I would advocate trying it and making your own flavors at home. My favorite breakfast is 1/2 c greek yogurt, 1 tsp honey, 2 tbs chopped almonds, and 2 tbs crushed up Kashi Autumn Harvest Wheat (similar to shredded wheat). It's filling and really tasty.