Hate veggies!!!

Options
13»

Replies

• hasta_la_vista_belly
    Options
    Yeah I was 10 once and hated all veggies. Truth be told there are some still to this day I will not touch. But I like a lot of them now that I hated as a kid. And I regularly eat vegetables usually with both lunch and dinner.

As an example, I never could stand the smell/taste of raw tomato. That is easily my number one hated vegetable right there. But even so, I have no problems with cooked tomatoes in various fashions, or tomato products in general.

I always used to hate asparagus. I absolutely love grilled asparagus now.

I really like raw and steamed broccoli and eat it often. I also eat lots of salads. I would never have touched this stuff as a kid.

Honestly at a certain point you just need to start trying new things with your vegetables. There are literally so many ways to cook them and so many different types. Try some new one's, heck try some you maybe didn't like before. You'd be surprised. Everyone has vegetables we don't like (for me its the raw tomatoes), but we found the one's we do like.
  • seamonster1203
    seamonster1203 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Green slushy! You don't even taste the veggies. 2 bananas, one apple, 2 eggs, 1/2 cup vanilla soy milk, and a cup of frozen spinach.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    I actually have a neighbor whom I really like as a person but one thing that irks me is that she complains about gaining weight and proclaims to be allergic to all vegetables in literally the same sentence.

:cry:
  • KristinaB83
    KristinaB83 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    You grow up and learn to eat them.
  • Napier_mum
    Napier_mum Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Maybe trying some different ones will give you some more that you can tolerate? I used to be a bit fussy but really I just needed to learn how I liked to eat things. My mum always boiled everything to death when we were kids but I actually discovered that I like my veges only just cooked (things like carrot and capsicum etc)

What do you give your kids to eat? If you don't already maybe you should all eat together as a family and hide veg in your own food they way you do with children? I quite often will make chillie or savory mince etc and grate carrot and courgette into it, cut up capsicum and cauliflower really finely. If you use the right herbs and spices you can't even tell that you are eating veggies.

Maybe you need to change your mindset a little, it would be hard to say that you hate ALL veg without trying everything. There are certain ones that I am not a fan of like mushrooms etc but I find the more different things I taste the more I like the variety.
  • jasminmclean
    jasminmclean Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    SALT..... Lowry's seasoned salt. Soy sauce... etc etc.

If you didn't grow up around vegetables or eating vegetables, your palate isn't used to something that isn't sugary or greasy or loaded with wheat/gluten. You have to re-train yourself to actually enjoy the taste of veggies.
    Veggies really are totally delicious when prepared correctly, or "hidden" in things (don't cook the crap out of them because you just destroy their nutrients, and then what's the point?)... like a tomato and lettuce on a burger. If you think "Oh god, now I have to eat veggies and I just hate them, waaaah..." then it's going to be miserable experience and they'll be hard to get through. If you get creative or find some recipes and experiment with them, then you could find something you totally like! And pair your veggies with protein!! Put it all together! Yummm!!!

Or grow the hell up and be a good example for your kids, as seems to be the consensus.
  • Phoenix612
    Phoenix612 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I hate veggies as well. Even though I've got more that I like than before, the texture on some of them usually makes me gag/throw up. I've given them a very fair try as well, but I just can't get past the texture to save my life. I don't really think this has anything to do with growing up, it has to do with lifestyle changes. I know I didn't get to the weight that I am currently by binging myself on Brussels sprouts.

That being said, I usually hide mine mostly in a smoothie or in sauces to make sure I get as many servings as possible.

I have to agree with the sugar reduction as well. It seems that since I'm not drinking 10 cans of a soda a day, I'm able to tolerate more veggies than before and also water is perfectly fine with me now.

Just remember we all have to start somewhere, I'd say just keep working on it, you'll get there. Even make this a goal for you to accomplish. You can't expect yourself to go from no veggies to all of them at one time. But eventually if you try a little at a time, you'll find that you'll be able to appreciate and even love them. I will never be able to do zucchini but I was able to eat an asparagus the other day and keep my stomach.

Good luck!
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Roasting vegetables brings out their natural sweetness. Plus it is so easy: chop, brush with olive oil, and throw in the oven. Do this to sweet potatoes and they are basically candy :'D yum~

Right now is a great time for winter/hard squash. I love spaghetti squash! I think it is even better than real pasta.
    Throw it in a bowl with some marinara and cheese and garlic powder~ oooh yeah!
  • cardinalsfootball
    cardinalsfootball Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    You just have to keep eating them until you start to tolerate them, then start to like them.

If you REALLY hate veggies, try a 48 hour fast. Then start only eating veggies and meat, no bread/sugar. Then after a week, reintroduce a little of the simple carbs.

I guarantee after 48 hours, veggies will taste better.

But basically, you just need to force yourself... no one starts out liking veggies, like no one starts out liking beer. You just keep going until you do.
  • wkhauser
    wkhauser Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    i love some more then other veggies, but overall i eat a variety of them suckers. now my husband is a different story. he loves potatoes, raw carrots, beans and corn. that's it!! he likes the flavor of onion and tomatoes but the texture gets to him. As long as I chop up the veggies pretty fine so he can swallow them without really chewing them i am good to go. i also hide veggies in sauces and other such places that he doesn't notice them. :devil: :laugh:
  • Quieau
    Quieau Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Grew up hating them but as an adult learned to love veggies and fruits! But SHOULDN'T HAVE! Turns out, I have a metabolic disorder (two actually, and I suspect related) ... Veggies, fruits, nuts, whole grains all have oxalates in them. Some of us can't tolerate oxalates. They are toxic to my body! They make me VERY sick and have potentially life-threatening consequences to me. So now I've had to learn to live without them!

That's right: no veggies, no fruits, no whole grains, no nuts, no tea, no chocolate. Nothing that grew out of the ground. Right now I can tolerate TINY amounts of onion or other high-water, low-oxalate but mostly have to stay 100% "clean" from them. A real shocker after spending decades to learn to love them!

My other disorder (porphyria, ALSO caused by a missing liver enzyme like hyperoxaluria but not yet linked in medical community) causes me to have to eat a HIGH CARB diet. Yep, required. I get very sick if I cut my carbs as well.

I thought for decades that I couldn't lose weight. Until I found MFP! In six months, I have lost 80 lbs, results comparable to someone who has had weight loss surgery (I have not, however. I was thinking about it and decided not to since I am doing quite well without restricting my nutrition).

Just because someone doesn't eat veggies, fruits, nuts, grains does NOT mean that all they eat is junk! In fact, I work hard to eat a mostly healthy diet of organic meats, dairy and simple carbs (white flour stuff) and have a few hundred discretionary calories a day that I use on sweets or ice cream sometimes (but with limitations AND regularity).

I do take supplements for obvious reasons, but have not suffered any ill effects. Still quite heavy (BMI 45) and resting heart rate is in the upper 40s ... blood sugar, blood pressure, all that stuff is super-healthy. Cholesterol normal. All of it.

So don't believe that it's ALL or NOTHING ... not true. You can customize your plan and ANYONE can do this! Hit me up if anyone has questions or wants to see my diary (closed to the public lately).
  • ktkdmommy
    ktkdmommy Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I love veggies, but a good way to hide them is to make fruit smoothies and add them in. You can add practically any veggie into a smoothie and you cant even taste it. I add spinach, celery, & kale into my smoothies and just actually found a recipe for a sweet potato smoothie I am going to try! Its a good way to get all the vitamins and nutrition you need without having to torture yourself by forcing veggies down. :wink:
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Grew up hating them but as an adult learned to love veggies and fruits! But SHOULDN'T HAVE! Turns out, I have a metabolic disorder (two actually, and I suspect related) ... Veggies, fruits, nuts, whole grains all have oxalates in them. Some of us can't tolerate oxalates. They are toxic to my body! They make me VERY sick and have potentially life-threatening consequences to me. So now I've had to learn to live without them!

That's right: no veggies, no fruits, no whole grains, no nuts, no tea, no chocolate. Nothing that grew out of the ground. Right now I can tolerate TINY amounts of onion or other high-water, low-oxalate but mostly have to stay 100% "clean" from them. A real shocker after spending decades to learn to love them!

My other disorder (porphyria, ALSO caused by a missing liver enzyme like hyperoxaluria but not yet linked in medical community) causes me to have to eat a HIGH CARB diet. Yep, required. I get very sick if I cut my carbs as well.

I thought for decades that I couldn't lose weight. Until I found MFP! In six months, I have lost 80 lbs, results comparable to someone who has had weight loss surgery (I have not, however. I was thinking about it and decided not to since I am doing quite well without restricting my nutrition).

Just because someone doesn't eat veggies, fruits, nuts, grains does NOT mean that all they eat is junk! In fact, I work hard to eat a mostly healthy diet of organic meats, dairy and simple carbs (white flour stuff) and have a few hundred discretionary calories a day that I use on sweets or ice cream sometimes (but with limitations AND regularity).

I do take supplements for obvious reasons, but have not suffered any ill effects. Still quite heavy (BMI 45) and resting heart rate is in the upper 40s ... blood sugar, blood pressure, all that stuff is super-healthy. Cholesterol normal. All of it.

So don't believe that it's ALL or NOTHING ... not true. You can customize your plan and ANYONE can do this! Hit me up if anyone has questions or wants to see my diary (closed to the public lately).

if it was for medical reasons though OP should have clarified that instead of just saying that she hates all veggies. There is a difference between people who can't eat veggies and people who won't eat veggies. The former needs to find alternatives whereas the latter needs to have a think about why and deal with that
  • writergeek313
    writergeek313 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Getting healthy means making lifestyle changes. You can't expect to change by just doing the things you've been doing up to this point. Exercising is really hard at first, but the more you do it, the easier it gets.

Veggies are great in soups, stews, spaghetti sauce, on pizza, in omelets, raw, sauteed, grilled, and roasted (my favorite is roasting). Steaming works, too, but it can be easy to overcook them and have mushy vegetables, which are gross. This isn't great advice for this time of year, but when farmers' markets start opening again, try to eat fresh, locally grown vegetables. They usually taste a lot fresher and better than what the supermarket has.

I think a lot of people hate vegetables because of how they had to eat them as a kid. Money was really tight for my family, and we could only afford to go for groceries once a month for a long time. That meant I ate a lot of canned vegetables. For a long time, I thought I hated asparagus. Then I had fresh asparagus. The same goes for brussels sprouts.

As others have said, you have to set a good example for your kids. Give them the best chance they can get to live healthy lives by exposing them to a lot of healthy options when they're young.
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Firstly I'm sure you don't actually hate all vegetables. Writing off a whole food group is rather extreme because the variety of different vegetables is immense. You just don't like a) the ones you've tried so far or b) the cooking methods or sauces you have tried so far. In light of that I suggest you:

- Experiment with different ways to cook and season your vegetables.
    - Keep trying to eat them. It takes quite a few attempts (something like 20 or so) to adapt to a new taste.
    - Learn to eat things you do not like. Think of eating vegetables as just another adult responsibility.
    - Puree your vegetables and hide them in other foods you do like.
    - Have a target to just eat one vegetable each day. That's not a difficult goal. Just one. After three months see if you can increase to two, etc.

It's that simple really. Once you learn to like veggies you won't look back. They are sooo delish!