Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

can lifting really help flatten a tummy?

just wondeing

Replies

• ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Only if you buy the pink 5 pounders and do sets of 45. Throw in one of those 5 day squat challenges and holy ****, your abs will be ripping through blouses.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Abs are made in the kitchen, not the gym.
  • texstorm
    texstorm Posts: 158 Member
    Absolutely.

Just make sure you're actually lifting challenging weights and using good form. Pick up the heaviest weight you can lift and maintain proper form in the exercise for about 10 reps a set. Do not fall for the idiotic notion that women should be lifting tiny weights. I've known hundreds of women with kids who hoist them around all day long. It makes no sense to think that a human being who can haul a 30, 40 or 50 lb. child up on her hip and walk through the mall would get any benefit at all from lifting 5 lb. dumbbells.

The other thing is that how flat your tummy gets has nothing at all to do with which exercises you do and almost everything to do with what food and how much of it you eat. Minimize processed and packaged foods from your diet. Eat real, whole foods, and not too many of them and you will see big changes.

Good luck.

-Tex
  • first of all, a flat tummy is made in the kitchen. now, lifting is being proven to increase your energy expenditure aka calories burn, which will as a result turn into more fat burning. however, if good lifting and cardio sessions aren't accompanied by a good diet it becomes useless. I would suggest you to read muscle myths by michael matthews.
  • jardimgirl
    jardimgirl Posts: 522 Member
    so its pretty much diet related i assume, eh?
  • Sarah4fitness
    Sarah4fitness Posts: 437 Member

YES.

You have to reduce overall body fat to reveal what's underneath. Can't spot reduce for "six pack abs" without otherwise having very low bodyfat.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    just wondeing

In the absence of any context around the question it's difficult to provide a meaningful answer. I assume that you're talking about tummy fat as the issue here, rather than asking about spot reduction; exercises to lose weight in a specific place. The latter doesn't work, we can't control where we lose weight from

Tummy fat appears to be the last to go on any weight loss programme, so if you've already been losing weight and you start some resistance training then you will see a result. It's unlikely to be specifically because of the resistance training, it's just the final stages of fat loss. I'm sure there will be a few people along to gush about the wonders of lifting heavy, but it's not causal.

That said resistance training of some kind does help to optimise your weight loss. By retaining lean body mass through resistance training then the weight loss is more likely to come from fat stores, both under the skin and around the organs. In that sense resistance training does help contribute to losing the tummy.

It needn't be "lifting" per se, you can do bodyweight resistance training without all of the paraphernalia that weight training brings.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member

YES.

You have to reduce overall body fat to reveal what's underneath. Can't spot reduce for "six pack abs" without otherwise having very low bodyfat.

Exactly. Almost everyone already has six pack abs, but it is buried under fat. You have to remove it to see them is all.

Now, the other stuff everyone is talking about is HOW to best remove that fat to see the abs. Lifting is excellent as well as cardio. The combination you want is whatever you will do consistently to create a caloric deficit and increase your BMR without hating it. :)
  • jardimgirl
    thanks for the comments.. i like this site and every time someone mentions to get a flat tummy, there are a lot of people that say lift. its good to hear that that's not the only form of exercise.
  • texstorm
    There's a reason why people are answering with "lift."

Partially it's because telling women to lift weights has become fashionable. And partially because way too few people, women in particular, do any resistance training at all.

"I want to lose weight" and "I want to be skinnier" are superficial goals. For a lot of trainers they're also meaningless goals. If all you want to do is lose weight, then eat less. Eat to a caloric deficit consistently for long enough and you will reach your weight goal. No exercise required.

However, at the end of this process you'll likely find that while you're lighter, you're also a lot weaker, or at least not any stronger or fitter. Weight loss is about food. Fitness is about exercise. Where they get all mixed up is that most people who are pursuing fitness goals are also pursuing changes to their body composition.

For instance, I have goals around wanting to be able to do a certain number of pull-ups, run 2 miles in under 20 minutes, etc. I can achieve all of those goals without giving a fig about how much I weigh. If I'm only interested in doing 30 unassisted pull-ups then I can get there by doing pull-ups, increasing the number of reps per set I do over a given period of time. Same for running. To get to my goal I can do so by running. None of that has anything to do with the number on the scale. As a matter of fact, I rode my bike around Lake Tahoe in under 6 hours (100 miles) when I was 45 lbs. overweight. I was a fat guy who could ride a bike really far, and reasonably fast.

I can also have a goal of reducing my body fat percentage so that I look as fit as I am. This also has pretty much nothing to do with what the scale says. I'm at about 16% body fat right now. If I want to see my abs I need to get below 12% at least - 10 is really where they'll start to show dramatically. Easiest way to do this is actually for me to gain weight in the form of increased lean muscle mass by lifting heavy and watching my macronutrients like a hawk. If I eat enough protein, lift enough, get appropriate rest and say no to pizza and cookies (and bread and rice and potatoes, etc.) my lean mass % will go up and my body fat % will go down - but I will probably weigh about 15 to 25 lbs. more than I do now because lean muscle tissue weighs more than fat.

So, that's where you get the more and more common advice that if you want to have six pack abs you should lift. Can you reduce your body fat percentage doing cardio and no weight training? Sure. In either case the key is nutrition and rest.

-Tex
  • jardimgirl
    wow, thx very much! you sure know your stuff! :flowerforyou:
  • jardimgirl
    i used to care what the scale said, but now i figured hat im the only one who knows the number, and not anyone else. no one will look at me and say, wow she's 117 pounds lol i want them to say wow she has a banging body :laugh:
  • texstorm
    wow, thx very much! you sure know your stuff! :flowerforyou:

Thanks. I'm enthusiastic about this stuff and want to help people if I can.

-Tex
  • texstorm
    i used to care what the scale said, but now i figured hat im the only one who knows the number, and not anyone else. no one will look at me and say, wow she's 117 pounds lol i want them to say wow she has a banging body :laugh:

Exactly! At a certain point it no longer matters what the scale says. Do your clothes fit you better? Do you like what you see in the mirror? Do you feel good, and strong and healthy? Those are all much more important metrics than the number on the scale.

-Tex
  • Edensienna
    Edensienna Posts: 180 Member
    Very insightful, thankyou tex
  • Omar_USAF
    Omar_USAF Posts: 27 Member
    People who say that abs are made in the kitchen. True to a certain extent, we all have abs. sure in the kitchen is where it all depends if they show or not, but they are a muscle just like any other, work it out to grow it and thicken it. Just eating right and never doing abs will not get you the abs or lean look you want! Good luck !
  • there's no such thing as a spot reduction right?
  • aussiesarah
    aussiesarah Posts: 68 Member
    No, spot reduction is a myth . . . . however personally i have found lifting (combined with sensible eating) has really helped me to completely change my body composition so there's more muscle, less fat and therefore everything (including my tummy) looks flatter and tighter :)