What are everyone's favorite vegetables?

Options

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    PS:

To everyone posting peas, those are lentils, not veggies.
    Did you intend to say LEGUMES?
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I LOVE oven roasted zucchini, broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts or cabbage. That's my absolute, all time favorite. In fact, I'm eating a plate full of oven roasted zucchini as I type this. Tossed the fresh zucchini pieces with a little olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic then roasted until perfection.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Brussels sprouts
    cauliflower
    broccoli
    bok choy
    broccolini

and in the legume camp:
    lima beans
    peas,
    edamame
  • ef21178
    ef21178 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Butternut squash, or really squash of any kind. Also, sweet potato is a great way to mix things up! Try baking one (or microwaving one for 6-8 minutes...they take forever) and then topping it with salsa and plain yogurt instead of sour cream. It's delicious, and something different to mix things up! :)
  • ziggyc
    ziggyc Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    This got me thinking for a minute. My favorites are summer or winter squashes, zucchini, sweet potatoes, etc. Roasted or grilled.
  • katiemn
    katiemn Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Carrots, grape tomatoes (perfect for snacks)

Zucchini, butternut squash, avocados, CA mixed veggies, snap peas, snow peas.

I'm learning I love love love veggies!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Broccoli topped with salsa is the only one I eat somewhat regularly. I'm terrible at eating veggies...
  • capricorn2721
    capricorn2721 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I love them all ... spinach, broccoli, baby bok choy, eggplant, carrots, tomatoes, cucumbers, artichokes, avocados, sweet potatoes, yams, potatoes, onions ... you name it!
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    cauliflower, broccoli, brussel sprouts, sweet potatoes, spinach

I made a simple sweet potato soup last night that's delish

2 med sweet potatoes cut into cubes (I used 3 small)
    1 large sweet onion
    1 tsp curry powder
    1/4 tsp black pepper
    1/2 cup half and half cream
    1 tblsp unsalted butter
    1 carton of low sodium veg or chicken broth

saute the onions with the spices in the butter until soft, add broth and sweet potatoes cook until potatoes are tender - blend and add 1/2 cup of half and half cream - low cal, quick, easy and tasty - the recipe say it serves 6 but I made 4 servings for my work lunches this week. I put a dollop of plain greek yogurt on top after I heated it up at lunch it was great an has protein!
  • ElusivePete
    ElusivePete Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Parsnips are usually my favourite. I loooooove spicy parsnip soup, but I would happily just eat it all day every day if given a chance, so I have to restrain myself!

I'm also partial to butternut squash in some forms. It's fabulous if it's roasted with paprika, then blended into a soup. Again though, I have to be careful not to overdo it!

On a more day-to-day basis, I'm very partial to doing stir fries with sweet pointed peppers (typically Ramiro), along with white onions and mushrooms. Lots of flexibility, and works with many different sauces/spices.
  • lleaka
    lleaka Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I love asparagus !! You can eat them cold or hot.Carrots, zucchini and brussel sprouts.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    Kale (sauteed or as chips), mini sweet peppers (grilled with olive oil and garlic or raw), sugar snap peas, lemon cucumbers, and raw kohlrabi. I love to make kebabs of fresh veggies, drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with garlic, salt, and black pepper, and throw on the grill. I also love spaghetti squash with meat sauce as a main dish.
  • NessaWilde
    NessaWilde Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    In no particular order:
    Cauliflower
    Butternut squash
    Peas
    zucchini
    beets
    Eggplant
    bok choy
    kale
    arugala
    tomatoes
    cucumber
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Peppers, potatoes, beets, carrots...probably top 4.
  • pita7317
    pita7317 Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    Roasted anything. Dipped in a dijon sauce.
    Steamed baby carrots, halved green grapes, sprinkle of brown sugar.
    Artichoke heart/Spinach casserole.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    White potato.
  • Shauneexo
    Shauneexo Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Whoa. Lots of feedback and lots of ideas!!!!! Thank y'all so much, I'm going to have to try a bunch of this stuff. Namely the kabobs, stir fries, parsnip "hashbrowns", broccoli with salsa. You guys rock. :)
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Spinach, romaine, peppers, carrots, cabbage, avocados, green beans, sugar snap peas, celery, onions, tomatoes, potatoes, corn, mushrooms, asparagus... pretty much all of them. I know some of these are botanically considered fruit, but still!

I like the way broccoli and cauliflower taste, but don't eat them much because they make my stomach hurt.
  • cactuswax
    cactuswax Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried celeriac? Makes a great low-carb, low-glycemic sub for potatoes.

You peel it, cut into cubes, boil til soft (about 10mins), then blend or mash with whatever seasonings you like. You can even add veg stock or almond milk to thin it out into a soup.

Delish, and never gets the attention it deserves!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    brussels sprouts
    broccoli
    mushrooms
    roast potatoes