thoughts on intermittent fasting

Replies

• JustineMarie21
    JustineMarie21 Posts: 438 Member
    HELP!
    Even though Intermittent Fasting has simplified my daily habits eg.( I used to obsess and make sure everything is made the night before) its been 2 weeks and I still weight and look the same. I know things take time but I've seen people with awesome results in 2 weeks and they barely had ab flab before. I might be doing something wrong but I don't know what. I eat 8 h window, low cal coffee in the morning under 40, nothing after my window but tea with Splenda no milk. I started this because I've always had flab on my stomach and honestly the amount I workout daily and how healthy I eat I should have abs but I do not and this is why I'm interested in IF. Should I be alternating so some days are 20:4 ??
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    I have been reading some interesting things about IF diet and I think I am going to give it a go..... To be honest I don't think I will have a problem with it as I skip Breakfast all the time and train in the mornings on an empty belly =)

But I use to have a few drinks most nights so I am going to totally cut out booze for Feb and start the IF Diet and let's see how I get on, as I have only read good stuff!!

Anyone who is researching iF Diets might find this a good read best I found easy reading... Enjoy..

http://www.precisionnutrition.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/IntermittentFasting_PDF_r7.pdf

Good luck everyone :tongue:

Thanks for the link , I am doing every other day. So far I love the feel of it, never bloated and feel really refresh in the mornings. Scale not moving as much, but I am losing more inches, making my clothes fitting very loosely. I can now fit into a size 10.

Only problem is the constipation, but I have taken care of that with psyllium husks taken with orange juice.
  • topazora
    topazora Posts: 82 Member
    When I stay true to IF, it works, I would lose 10lbs a month doing it, when I don't practice it, my weight loss slows down considerably. What works for me is skipping dinner, I brush my teeth when I get home and spend the night drinking tea. I like my eggs and coffee in the morning, so I'm keeping it. Dinner is a meal I can do without and I sleep better. I go to bed earlier, which is nice, because I like to get up early before work, so I have a couple of hours to do my own things without be distracted in the evening.
  • FearlessRobb
    FearlessRobb Posts: 249 Member
    if you wanna see a sucess story about IF Google Jon Calvo. hes an insperation and doe IF and found thats the only thing that worked for him.
    I currently do it and like being able to eat bigger meals and be full later and day and night
  • OverDoIt
    OverDoIt Posts: 332 Member
    I have seen pro and anti views on this from very reliable sources. When I get bloated and feel terrible from stuffing 4-5000 cals a day I will fast for an entire day ingesting only distilled water. I say, if it works for you go for it. Do not rely on gurus or other peoples stories as concrete evidence that something works. You are a snowflake, you are unique, and your body is the only one like it on earth. You can follow some ones diet and training to the tiniest detail and your results will never be exactly the same. Keep up the good work and good things will happen for you my friend.
  • mom2sons02
    mom2sons02 Posts: 111 Member
    I follow the 5:2 plan, which is 500 calories only two days a week, eat regular the other 5. Aim for TDEE. I love it. I have lost almost 20 pounds and my blood pressure is 115/84. Before I was borderline high blood pressure. I find it easy to follow, and can change which days I fast which is nice if I have lunch meetings or whatnot.
  • JustineMarie21
    JustineMarie21 Posts: 438 Member
    HELP!
    Even though Intermittent Fasting has simplified my daily habits eg.( I used to obsess and make sure everything is made the night before) its been 2 weeks and I still weight and look the same. I know things take time but I've seen people with awesome results in 2 weeks and they barely had ab flab before. I might be doing something wrong but I don't know what. I eat 8 h window, low cal coffee in the morning under 40, nothing after my window but tea with Splenda no milk. I started this because I've always had flab on my stomach and honestly the amount I workout daily and how healthy I eat I should have abs but I do not and this is why I'm interested in IF. Should I be alternating so some days are 20:4 ??
    I only want to get the flab off my lower abs. I am small and short and the lower section never goes away and Ive tried lots.
  • fox2star
    fox2star Posts: 57 Member
    Anyone still doing this and want to revive this thread? I started this past Sunday, am on Day 4 of the 16:8 cycle. It's not hard to do, however I find myself starving right now....and there are 3 more hours to go before I can eat. Any suggestions? Does this go away eventually?
  • frangrann
    frangrann Posts: 219 Member
    I do 15:9 or 16:8 but I do have a cup of coffee and vitamins in the am. IF fits my schedule for the most part.
    It's better if you are busy so you're not thinking about eating. Some days are easier than others.
    I work out in the am and am not hungry during or right after.
    I agree that its an easy way to create a calorie deficit. That's why I do it, as for metabolic changes, I am not sure.
    You can friend me if you want. Good luck!
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    At first it didn't work because no matter which form of it I tried, I used it as an excuse to stuff my face with cookies and ice cream. Now I like it. Currently doing 5:2.
  • fox2star
    I also drink coffee ( black) and do an AM workout during the fast time. I am hoping it will help regulate sugar cravings which I have horribly around 3:00 pm when I am eating 5-6 small meals a day.
  • GibbsGirl13072
    GibbsGirl13072 Posts: 156 Member
    Today is my first actual day of 16:8. I plan on my window being from 11am to 7pm since it seems like it would work with my schedule. It seems like the black coffee I drink in the mornings helps to curb any appetite I have, and hopefully this will motivate me to drink more water as well.
  • sean_d33
    sean_d33 Posts: 40 Member
    Love it! Works great for me. My tendency is toward overeating/eating out of boredom and having a set window of 12-8 is something that helps me control that. I don't think it would work for everyone though.
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Can't do it, need to eat. :)
  • larrodarro
    larrodarro Posts: 2,512 Member
    I follow the 5:2 plan, which is 500 calories only two days a week, eat regular the other 5. Aim for TDEE. I love it. I have lost almost 20 pounds and my blood pressure is 115/84. Before I was borderline high blood pressure. I find it easy to follow, and can change which days I fast which is nice if I have lunch meetings or whatnot.

I did the 5-2 fasting diet from September through the new year. I had 600 calories on my two low calorie days, and went from 240 down to 200. I loved the simplicity of it. And with lots of stir-fry I was never hungry. When I started to workout more, the 600 just wasn't enough, so I started counting calories everyday. I've been at my goal weight {176} less than a week, and most days I have been eating extra calories at night to stop losing.

I'm older, but my doctor told me to make sure I had at least 30 grams of protein per meal for muscle growth. So I don't think IM would work for me.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    I absolutely love it.
    Easy. Still eat all the foods I love. Fits perfect with holidays, parties, vacations. Etc.

I dont consider the 16:8 really a fasting thing though. That is basically just like skipping breakfast and then eating lunch and dinner with snacks each day.

Most of the lit I have read up on with the true fasting is doing it around 24 hour periods of eating 500 cal, 24 of eating your TDEE.

but if that 16/8 is working for people that is aweome, but for me that was a normal eating cycle for me anyways and just seems like would be eating that 1500/day and I would rather do 500/cycle and then 2200-2500 the next cycle.

but yeah...it is great how fasting has debunked soooo many of the diet myths out there,
  • fox2star
    Day 5 of the 16:8 method......lost 3 pounds so far, it's most likely water, but hey, I'll take it! :)
  • fox2star
    Stalled weight loss ...anyone have any thoughts/ideas?
  • Romyarts2014
    Romyarts2014 Posts: 201 Member
    I do IF

It is my first week and I have lost 12.2 pounds
    I fast 22 hours and eat between 3-5pm!

Never been so amazed!
    And its maintanable for life!
  • Romyarts2014
    Romyarts2014 Posts: 201 Member
    I absolutely love it.
    Easy. Still eat all the foods I love. Fits perfect with holidays, parties, vacations. Etc.

I dont consider the 16:8 really a fasting thing though. That is basically just like skipping breakfast and then eating lunch and dinner with snacks each day.

Most of the lit I have read up on with the true fasting is doing it around 24 hour periods of eating 500 cal, 24 of eating your TDEE.

but if that 16/8 is working for people that is aweome, but for me that was a normal eating cycle for me anyways and just seems like would be eating that 1500/day and I would rather do 500/cycle and then 2200-2500 the next cycle.

but yeah...it is great how fasting has debunked soooo many of the diet myths out there,

I 100% agree.

Even though skipping breakfast is sort of a fast , Fasting is going a long period of time without eating.
    I do not eat for 22 hours and than have my one mean. And it is not for alot of people , however if you keep yourself busy you do not ever feel hunger. I drink water, teas , crystal light through the day and than when my one meal hits at 3-5pm I eat healthy of course. Chicken, salads, kropeok and so forth.

Different things work for different people so either way congrats on your new lifestyle changes!