On vacation at all-inclusive resort, gained some weight.

Options
I previously posted a thread about what to do in an "all-inclusive" situation, and most told me to enjoy the trip, since I was on vacation, and that I shouldn't really bother tracking my calories during my stay.

Well I've been here for 5 days and I still have 3 to go. I can't say I've been taking good care of myself exactly, nutrition wise. My weakness would be breakfast definitely. I eat those pancakes with maple syrup, since I don't really eat those back at home, and sometimes donuts too. I eat fairly well on my other meals.

I've been hitting the gym, lifting. I realize that's not ideal when you're relying on scales to lose or maintain weight, but I have no way of tracking calories burned doing cardio anyway. I do it for the fun.

Before all this, I lost 14Lbs. Now, according to the scale here (which my sister says it's accurate, since her weight is the same as it is back home) I've gained 6Lbs back :(

My question is: is this legit weight gain? I've busted my *kitten* for a month and a half to lose weight. Is it maybe water retention, and if so or not, will I lose it easily when I go back to my healthy lifestyle? Sorry for the long post and thanks.

Replies

• jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Well, look at it realistically. Do you think you're eating 6000+ calories/day? It's possible you're really chowing down. But you'd probably know it. That's not a couple extra pancakes or donuts at breakfast.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Some of it is probably water weight. You've been eating at a deficit for a while and probably eating to maintenance right now... your muscles are filling up with water. So, totally normal and it can probably account for 5 lbs!

But pancakes alone, depending how many you're eating, can be 600+ calories... donuts 300+.... plus whatever else you're eating... well, even if you're careful, without weighing the food or knowing how it's prepared, it can be difficult. But as long as you're being careful the rest of the day, you'll probably lose the weight in no time.
  • mauridaher
    mauridaher Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Well, look at it realistically. Do you think you're eating 6000+ calories/day? It's possible you're really chowing down. But you'd probably know it. That's not a couple extra pancakes or donuts at breakfast.

Well yeah, probably over 3000 (my TDEE), but definitely below 4000-5000. I only really eat a lot during breakfast, as I said, and I only drink water and diet Coke.
  • Capt_Inzane
    Capt_Inzane Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Enjoy life, don't stress too much over this just realize when you get back you have your work cut out for you. If you're at a resort go swimming/workout at the gym. Eat whatever you want but stay active. Resorts typically have a ton of stuff for you to do which should increase your calories for the day.
  • Goldeeloks615
    Goldeeloks615 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Don't worry so much right now about your weight. You've earned the vacation. Enjoy the work out you do get, enjoy the food that you want and then WAIT a few days when you get home before you step on the scale.

Happy Vacation, enjoy the flavors, the view and the company and YOURSELF!

C'ya when you get back!

-C
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    I'd say some is water weight, some is fat.

Personally, my weight fluctuates about 1-2 lbs every other day so it's very common especially since you are eating between 4000-5000 calories a day.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I would say enjoy your vacation, enjoy the breakfast, and just be a little more careful at your other meals.
    But really, gosh, you are lucky to get holidays. I have not had a holiday in 20 years now.
  • MichaelVRenner
    MichaelVRenner Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    If you didn't gain any weight, I would say you were doing it wrong.
  • _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    What the heck are you doing posting on here when you're on, what sounds like, a sweet vacation? Seriously though, don't worry about it, don't even weigh yourself. Get back into your groove when you're back in your normal environment.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    If you didn't gain any weight, I would say you were doing it wrong.
    I agree. I can gain five lbs in a weekend then back down in a few days.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I just returned from an all inclusive resort. I gained about 3lbs, all of which I lost after 2 days after coming home. Since tracking is VERY difficult with the lack of knowledge of calories, the best thing is to eat as healthy as possible and try to balance your meals as much as you can. DRINK WATER - LOTS OF IT x10000. The only thing I really focused on was water, and proportions. I actually really enjoyed the challenge of going to an all inclusive resort - it really allowed me to practice my knowledge without MFP or Bodymedia.
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I had this situation this past weekend. My bf and I went to a resort for 3 days. I wrote down everything I ate and drank each day, and wrote down all exercise I did. I didn't log anything into MFP until I got home last night.

Even though I was going to be "relaxing" and "disconnected" for three days, I still felt I had to be accountable to myself. MFP is the only way I can feel 100% accountable. So, even though it wasn't possible to weigh and measure everything I ate. I tracked it as closely as I could, simply by putting it in my smartphone for later. I tracked every alcoholic beverage I drank, and boy, it was a LOT!

Now that I'm home and everything is tracked, I know the damage I did and in the coming week I know how I have to eat and exercise to "make up for" the past 3 days.

Also, I refuse to weigh myself until March 1st. I understand that going off and eating almost 3000 cals a day WILL make ANYBODY retain more water. I don't want the number on the scale to psychologically discourage me from being on-track for the next two weeks (til my next weigh in).

But, everybody does it differently and that's just what works for me when I'm on vacation...
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I would say enjoy your vacation, enjoy the breakfast, and just be a little more careful at your other meals.
    But really, gosh, you are lucky to get holidays. I have not had a holiday in 20 years now.

Why haven't you had a holiday in 20 years?? You should have one... everyone should! I think I'd go mad if I didn't have holidays every now and then...
  • mauridaher
    mauridaher Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for responding! It's really hard to keep it healthy in situations like this, but at least I tried! The dessert is awful here, so there are little to no temptations in that department :)

I've been drinking mainly water and diet coke. Whenever they see you without a drink, they give you one almost immediately, and I also pee A LOT everyday, which is why I think some of it may be liquid weight.

When I get back, I'll start measuring waist and chest, and ditch the damn scales. Anyway, the way I see it, I let myself go for a week, get things done for the other 51.

Thanks to everyone for responding and always being nice about it, no matter how stupid the questions are! I hate it when people try to act like smartasses and condescend you (I'm looking at you, BodyBuilding forums).
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    There is so much salt in the food at all-inclusive resorts. I am going to say water weight.

Enjoy yourself
  • kmg884
    kmg884 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I think you should enjoy your vacation and dont worry too much about the calories and such. Maybe just cut back on the amount of food. I just got back from an all inclusive in Mexico about 1.5 weeks ago. I was lucky and didn't gain anything. I ate like a pig and also did not log anything. What saved me is the walking. It was a large resort and to walk from the room to the food/buffet area or other areas was a good 4-5 blocks or more. So we were active most of the day. So despite eating A LOT and drinking A LOT, the walking and other activities helped. Have fun and enjoy : ). I wish i were back on the beach instead of dealing with 7 inches of snow and 5 foot snowbanks : (
  • KatayoonPN
    KatayoonPN Posts: 3 Member
    Options

I just came from all inclusive resort in Mexico. 7 days in total. Every day I went to gym, followed by a 40-minute jogging on the beach and at least 3 hours of walking in town. When I came back, the bloating was so big that it looked like I got bigger by one size in the mirror. I waited a few days after I came back before weighing myself to release post-flight water retention. I drank herbal tea and ate fiber to release liquids and excess waste (as the volume of food I ate is many times more than I eat usually). Nevertheless, +8 pounds...

The first 5 pounds came off in 2 nights: release of excess fluids from high sodium and high sugar diet plus hot weather. The remaining 3 lbs are still there so I will take care of it by a moderate reduction in my calorie intake.

While in Mexico, I mostly ate grilled fish, chicken, eggs, fruit and veggies. No alcohol. However, I indulged in cakes and ice cream as normally I refrain from these at home. So I was probably at least 1500 calories per day over my maintenance level - hence the 3 lbs.

However I don’t regret it at all. Every single tortilla and burrito was totally worth it. I spend 360 days per year watching my calories and weight. If I have to do the same on my vacation, to me that is a punishment, not vacation.

Next year I will go to Dominican and do exactly the same: enjoy my favourite foods like there is no tomorrow! It is much easier to be on a diet where I live now (most food tastes like bathroom detergent), than pass on mexican buffet!

Enjoy your vacations, folks!
  • jesspen91
    jesspen91 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    I would bet on water weight. You can gain water weight for all sorts of strange reasons. Salt, alchohol, heat, altitude. Wait until you're back into your normal routine before worrying.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Enjoy your vacation, and get back on track when you get home. This is a small traffic hump, not a major roadblock. No one expects perfection. Relax.
  • Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    No, it’s not 6 lbs of day gained 3 days. Definitely some of it is water weight.

But why are you even weighing yourself on vacation?! If you’re worried make some healthier breakfast choices but don’t stress about it.