Anyone know of a reliable calorie burning calculator website

Options
I just climbed the gym stairs w/a 30-pound bag on my shoulders for 14 minutes... MFP doesn't have anything comparable to figure out how many calories I burned.

Replies

• jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Invest in a heart rate monitor!
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    If you do this kind of activity often, you're really best off getting a HRM or bodybugg type device to estimate calories. They're going to be more accurate than any generic calculator you use. Really, I'd recommend everyone get one of these to estimate exercise calories.
  • meghan1966
    Options
    I have an old HRM, like 10 years! Not sure it has a calculator on it, but i"ll check it out.... or is there a formula to use?
    Also, what's the bodybugg???
  • hermosafit
    Options
    The new HRMs have some very cool features that did not exist a few years ago.

I recently bought a new one, bought a Polar that calculates calories burned. It also is even able to calculate the ceiling in "fat burning zone". Which I think is really cool because it moves around depending on how recovered one is from prior workouts.

The more expensive ones have even more features.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Options
    I have an old HRM, like 10 years! Not sure it has a calculator on it, but i"ll check it out.... or is there a formula to use?
    Also, what's the bodybugg???

Bodybugg (also called the BodyMedia FIT - two brands of the same product) is a device you wear on your upper left arm that calculates calories burned all day, not just while exercising. HRM's aren't meant to be accurate during casual (non-continuous-exercise) activity. These devices use other body measurements (heat, movement, etc.) other than heart-rate to calculate the calories burned. Both brands also count steps, and the BodyMedia FIT analyzes your sleep if you wear it at night (not sure if the Bodybugg does that).
  • meghan1966
    Options
    Hey thanks, my husband just saw that Costco has BodyMedia FIT for $40 off starting tomorrow, online only! I'll have to research into it, b/c it also says it comes w/a 12-month subscription but not sure to what.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Options
    Hey thanks, my husband just saw that Costco has BodyMedia FIT for $40 off starting tomorrow, online only! I'll have to research into it, b/c it also says it comes w/a 12-month subscription but not sure to what.

To use the product you have to subscribe to their website - you download the info from the device to the website to read it. I pay about $6.95 a month or something close to that. I bought mine off Amazon and it only came with a 3 month subscription. Sounds ilke your husband found a pretty good deal! They just came out with a bluetooth version - if you have an iphone or android smart phone, you may want to look into that version of the product. It's more expesive, but worth it because it just syncs right up to your phone without you having to download anything.
  • meghan1966
    Options
    The new HRMs have some very cool features that did not exist a few years ago.

I recently bought a new one, bought a Polar that calculates calories burned. It also is even able to calculate the ceiling in "fat burning zone". Which I think is really cool because it moves around depending on how recovered one is from prior workouts.

The more expensive ones have even more features.
  • meghan1966
    Options
    What brand/model HRM did you get? thx