Other than stretching....

Options
What can I do for my super sore muscles?
All of the stretching in the world can't cure how they feel right now, and i've got a workout to do today!

Replies

• eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Hot shower or a hot tub. Just don't overdo it or you'll be tired and dragging your *kitten*.
  • mirahonthawall
    mirahonthawall Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    i'm already waking up tired...like today (after 10hrs sleep) i got out of bed to brush my teeth, and had to go lie in bed for another hour because i just felt exhausted.

i know things will change, my energy levels will rise and muscle soreness will go away, but i am in so much pain right now :(
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Rest
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Give those muscles a break for a day or so and work on a different group.
  • JoyousRen
    JoyousRen Posts: 3,823 Member
    Options
    Try going for a nice slow walk. It will help loosen the muscles. I also take Advil some times.
  • monamullen
    Options
    I've been told sore muscles is due to lactic acid build up (along with the fact that had a great workout) and you need to drink lots of water to flush it out, also take a nice hot shower and RIGHT before you get out.... this will be hard turn off all the hot water (you can do it gradually) and let the cold water hit your body (mainly your chest - that's where u have lots of lymph nodes) hang in there as long as you can a few seconds or 30 seconds if you can. That should help your body to get rid of some of the lactic acid.

Give it a try and see if it helps. If not some good motrin will help reduce the inflammation of your sore muscles.
  • TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    Depends on how hardcore you are. If you're normal, then take a break. At the start, yeah, you can workout a little sore, but if it's painful then it's time to take a day off.

If you're hardcore, then take an ice bath. Stretching really doesn't help soreness that much. The only thing that will really make a marked difference is an ice bath.
  • turboandrea
    Options
    Epsom salt baths work wonders. I also sometimes use Tiger Balm or Biofreeze. Aleve is great. If you can stand it, get in a shower and alternate HOT and COLD temperatures. It's like torture, but it'll ease the blow the next day. Walking and moving around relieves muscle tension and soreness. The worst thing you can do is stay still, resting being the exception. Work those specific muscles only every other day. Also drink lots of water to get the soreness worked through; I frequently resort to this method and it helps.

You'll get through it and discover which method works best for you. Everybody is different so be sure to try a few different solutions. (As a general side note, 10 hours may be too much sleep for you. I'm exhausted if i get 9 hours and well-rested if I get 8.)
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    put epsome salt in your bath..it's relatively cheap stuff and you can buy it anywhere...
  • mirahonthawall
    Options
    i think the last time i took a bath was when i was 8 years old lol
    i mean, i'm only into day 3 of starting to work out again, and my rest day won't come until sunday....i'm just going to suck it up and work out today but i think afterwards, i will take the advice and get into a bath and see how it goes! i also like the idea of alternating hot and cold so i might try that too!

ps i can never get enough sleep, i love sleep! i just don't function if i get anything less than 6 hours.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    you're doing awesome...but be careful if your muscles hurt, then maybe take it down a notch...they need to repair...if you're going that hard don't forget a protein drink within 45 minutes of finishing your workout...that helps repair too...
  • mirahonthawall
    Options
    oh i don't drink protein shakes :(
    all i have that's relatively close is 1% milk.....i should probably buy some chocolate milk.
  • becomingsara
    Options
    Here are some good foods to help repair those muscles well:

3 Foods that help ease sore muscles
    May 19, 2010 by Chasity
    Filed under Food, Health & Fitness
    Leave a Comment
    Muscle soreness has become a part of most people’s everyday life. We lead such hectic lives and as we age, we tend to simply accept that we have to deal with those nagging aches and pains. Many of us simply take some over the counter pain medication and get on with our day. But what if something as simple as adding a few new foods to our diet could reduce our use of these types of remedies? Well, here are 3 foods that will help relieve those sore muscles.

1.Cereal. Researchers at the University of Texas at Austin gave athletes a bowl of Wheaties with skim milk after a 2 hour bike ride. They found that the athletes recovered as effectively as they did when they were given a sports drink. You see the carbs and essential amino acids help replenish glycogen stores and repairs muscles.
    2.Almonds. Almonds are loaded with vitamin E. According to a study from Ball State University in Indiana, people with high levels of vitamin E in their bloodstream suffered less muscle damage after a 50-minute workout than those with lower levels in their systems. Almonds and sunflower seeds are both good sources of vitamin E, so throw some on your salad or add them to a stir fry and enjoy.
    3.Tart Cherries. Anthocyanins are antioxidants found in cherries. They also provide relief from muscle soreness in marathon runners and weight lifters. People who drink tart cherry juice daily before and after workouts report less pain and loss of strength. Cherries also reduce muscle inflammation. So either 16oz of tart cherry juice or eat 45 to 60 cherries and you are good to go
  • mirahonthawall
    Options
    ooh!
    i have some weetabix, i'll give that a try after my workout, which i am going to attempt right now!
  • Craig772
    Craig772 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Stretching will help but.....

Stretching should be done at the start of exercising after warming up. It establishes good muscle length as lifting weights and exercising requires the muscles to contract. The contractions will cause the muscle to shorten as they tighten up. The shortened muscle leads to soreness when you stretch it doing normal activities like walking the next day after a big run or serious leg workout. Some soreness will be as a result of breaking down the muscle by over stressing it. The muscle will grow back stronger, that's how you gain strength and to some extent endurance but that's more about muscle fibre recruitment.

Post workout stretching should be done to re-establish the muscle length which will help to reduce soreness but also to keep the dynamics of the joints working correctly.
  • sweetbn
    sweetbn Posts: 318
    Options
    Not sure if this was said but I use Iron Rub then go for a quick jog to loosen up. :) (Smells like icyhot)
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    drink plenty of water and eat some protein. If I were you I would let the gym wait another day if you are really very sore.
  • Cristy_AZ
    Options
    Drink lots of water!