Gastric Sleeve Patients?????

Options

Replies

• kxdesigns
    kxdesigns Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Your post has really helped me as I'm having the sleeve done in three more days. I've already lost 13lbs on the two wk liquid diet. However, reading ppl's horror stories of hair and energy loss..I needed to read your post about eating more leafy greens, taking my vitamins, etc.
    Thanks for posting.
    K~
  • dappanaitis
    Options
    Congrats to all ths success! I have a question...I've been struggling with weight for yrs now. I also have several autoimmune diseases goin on. Had biopsy on thyroid this wk. I have a 3cmm tumor on thyroid. Havnt got results yet. Should be back hopfully tomorrow. The past several months me an my internists now strongly feel i alo have gastropheressis (however u spell this) you get tge idea, my stomach doesnt fully empty. Been nauseous an vomiting all last yr. Lupus destroys ur body! My weight just keeps going up. Started armour thyroid last wk. Ok..today the dr brought up that i meet criteria for the sleeve stomach surgery. Not bc of the weight but everything going on inside. Kidney disease, ventricular tachycardia, gi problems etc....any input would be appte tiated, you can email me i dont know if I'll b able to find tnis pg again..lol..d-appanaitis@sbcglobal.net....I'm going to do the research an see. My dr says that insurance will pay for this type with the criteria met. Thx all...di
  • nuyearnume14
    Options
    Congratulations. I was sleeved on Feb 7th. I must say the gas in my chest it the worse. Even if I sip I feels as if it's stuck in my chest. Are you having any issues like that? ....other then that I feel fine
  • tiggsnanny
    tiggsnanny Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    You guys are really brave, I don't think I could have this done, it wouldn't matter how much weight I put on. I bumped into a friend the other day I hadnt seen for a couple of years, I actually didn't recognise her, I recognised her voice. She had it done a year ago and has lost about 8 stone, but she says she eats a piece of toast and feels sick, good luck to all of you :smile:
  • Dyson1104
    Options
    Hello everybody! I was sleeved on 10/30, best decision I've ever made! I am exercising 5 days weekly now (just starting this week) treadmill 30 min/Bike 30 min/ weights. I look forward to having another place to share and learn!
  • JenDowNow
    JenDowNow Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am having the gastric sleeve on March 3rd. I hope I am making the right decision. I feel I need this to help me lose weight and keep it off. I know it's just a tool. But, I hope it works for. I've had very poor willpower over the last few years. I'll friend all of you. Let's support each other.
  • uwishtoo
    Options
    I just ran across this thread and # 1 to the original poster, if anyone hasn't said this yet already, grazing in small amounts and healthier foods is actually a good thing. It will keep your metabolism up and help to lose the weight rather than hinder. Small meals more often is better for your body so it doesn't start hoarding the fat and slow your metabolism down.

I had the sleeve in late June of 2012, I was a tight size 18 and around 175 pounds. By September I was in my 8's and by November I was a 0. I don't recall my weights along the way since I paid attention more to how my clothes fit. I do recall getting down to 98 pounds and having to start eating higher carbs to be myself back up to 110 or so. That was in Feb of 2013 and now a year later I still stay between 108 and 112 for the whole past year. I am able to eat more now 19 months out. I can eat a whole English Muffin as opposed to a half of one, a whole bowl of cereal instead of just a few bites, etc. I really don't watch what I eat anymore like i used to, if i want it, I eat it. But it's not going ot make me gain weight back since I eat such a small amount due to the size of my stomach pouch that I stop when I am full.

As for the haters on the sleeve and all of the naysayers? Bleh - shut up. EVERY surgery can have it's complications, you can find any surgeries and ask different people and there will always be someone who had complications. For some the sleeve is a godsend like it was for me and for some it's not so good. I see people on another board that I used to be active in blame the sleeve on their back problems, their spine degeneration, etc etc. It's stupid. I also see people there that go on the board and say "oh I feel sick, I am in so much pain" then when pressed for details they reveal that they are a month out from surgery and they were eating STEAK when the pains started and then they waited a while for the pain to stop and then they kept eating but why are they in som much pain? DUH!

For the first month I ate refried beans - low fat with low fat cheese and salsa and it was awesome. Some people bashed me and said I shouldn't eat that but hey I lost the weight and it worked for me while they were eating all the "right things" and quite frankly were still fat 6 months after their surgery. For my meals I eat what I want in small portions of course, beef roast, pork roast, potatoes, corn whatever, in other words I eat normally. I now eat a breakfast sandwich or cereal or waffles which I never did before, I would usually skip breakfast. I work from home in my own business so I stop and eat a lunch too of something, maybe it's another breakfast sandwich or bowl of cereal, but I eat lunch too. For dinner I will eat a little bit of roast or pizza or turkey burger (half of one) or a burrito, shredded chicken - whatever I would normally used to eat. For a snack at nite or even during the day I keep yogurt on hand and watermelon has been my constant in my house. I also keep trays of shrimp that I will have 4 or 6 of those at nite when I want something around 8 PM.

I will admit I didn't walk or work out at all after surgery. I felt like crap with low energy and i know it would have been better if I had worked out but I didn't. I lost a ton of muscle tone and definition and since i ride a monster 700 pound motorcycle that was tough to relearn to balance on it. I do work out now and I try and go tot he gym 4 days a week or go swimming. I live in Arizona so I can pretty much swim year round since the pool is heated.

Good luck.
  • jules6157
    Options
    27 days since surgery down 29 pounds since surgery 59 since I started preparing for surgery/ I don't eat much get full fast can start lifting over 20 pounds so starting at the gym tomorrow. It is so nice and exciting to be able to go to my closet and have my clothes fit right not tight. So glad I did the surgery still trying to find food that it excites me to eat not hungry so I have to remind my self to eat trying some stew meat cooked slowly to make it tender tonite . no major problems
  • mistydk
    mistydk Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hey guys! The gastric sleeve saved me in so many ways! I am TWO YEARS POST OP now and my diabetes is IN REMISSION. NORMAL blood sugars. I was 35 years old and had just found I had type 2 diabetes right before I had the sleeve. I was honestly a little shocked! My BMI wasn't even that high--it was 38. I mean I was BIG but not SUPER BIG but apparently big enough to get diabetes!. Well I decided to get sleeve surgery to help with the diabetes and the weight. I'm thrilled with it. I have a NORMAL BMI, NORMAL WEIGHT, NORMAL blood sugars. I love wearing nice small clothes. It's way easier to stick with a high protein low carb diet that diabetics are supposed to eat with my little sleeved tummy. I am beyond thrilled. To anyone with complications I am very sorry you have gone through it. I am sad that some people don't experience a normal recovery but hopefully one day the complications will be a distant memory and you will be healthy. Hugs everyone!
  • Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Hi all --

After losing 100 pounds and gaining it back plus more, I have decided to have a sleeve done as tool to help me lose weight (again) and keep it off for good. My surgery date is in late May this year, so it'd be great if anyone wanted to add me or has any advice :D

Thanks.
  • claudiafuselier
    Options
    I am 4 months out from having the sleeve done. I've lost 65 pounds so far and have 15 more to go to be where I need to be. I did have severe complications from surgery, but I know any surgery has the potential for that. I was hospitalized 3 times since surgery and had to have a thoracotomy done to clean infection from my lung. The sleeve is not a painful surgery at all. Just the gas can be. I am off of diabetes meds and blood pressure meds! I walk 2 miles a day and am fixing to add more to that. I drink protein drinks to help get my protein intake better. I use to be a size 22 now I am a 14. I am enjoying clothes shopping again. my self confidence has gone up considerably. I can finally say I am glad I had it done.
  • phenomenal75
    Options
    I was sleeved on 2/3/2014 lost 41 lb so far. Hardest part is the constipation and getting my protein. I'm still on phase 1 my doc require 4 weeks of protein shake with clear liquids then 2 week full liquids 2 week soft food and the regular food. Hardest part is not chewing anything. Well on my way. Got 120 lb to go. Wish me luck!!!
  • amcarter90
    Options
    I had the sleeve done on 17th September and have lost 40kgs since and 10kgs in my prep time. Best decision I have ever made. I find the hardest part is keeping the amount of sodium in my diet down and getting enough fibre and protein. What can anyone suggest about protein intake? I fink it way too difficult to eat any meat and i have a massive dairy allergy, so I mainly live On egg and perhaps a Grainy piece of toast per day.
  • suejersey
    suejersey Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hello all! I had my sleeve 10/11/12 and have lost a total of 140 pounds. I have been in maintenance (still losing a few pounds) for about 3 months now.

For the first six months I only did a little walking. At 200 pounds I joined the gym and now am fit and thin. I love my new body (wish I didn't have the extra skin, but hey it's the price I pay). I am now working on lowering my body fat and increasing my muscle.

I log my food every day in MFP, I exercise 4 days per week, high protein, low carb. I enjoy a snack or a treat when the opportunity arises.

I eat six small meals per day and still have one scoop of protein powder per day (use it in my coffee - not a big breakfast person so this suffices).

It is a journey that will continue for the rest of my life. I get worried when I deviate too much from my normal food routine but each month that I see that I can maintain makes me more confident that I CAN do this.

If anyone would like to add me as a friend, please feel free!
  • Jerod1978
    Options
    Hi all I'm new to MFP I was sleeved on 2/17/14 was curious to see if others are having same problems as I am. I am having trouble getting in 32 oz of water a day right now. And not hungry at all fill very full all the time. I am taking very small sips of room temp water but have this extreme fullness I am guessing this will pass as my body gets used to it but I still fill like I have a lot of gas still trapped that won't come out. Walking 4-5 times a day just trying to get some movement. But was looking to see if anyone else is fighting the same or have in the past post op.
  • reginarocks1
    Options
    I had my surgery on 1/28/14. I had lost 15 lbs pre op and 15 lbs the first week after surgery. The problem is it's only been 3 weeks since surgery and I've gained 2 lbs. I am drinking all my water and protein shakes. I did just start exercising this week, but I'm not over eating and really trying to follow the diet. I don't understand why the weight is not coming off me like it does for others. I feel very discouraged already. I desperately need some advice.
  • ltmarler
    Options
    Hi
    I had sleeve 4/3/13. I've lost 65 lbs but feel stuck. I haven't lost any since before Christmas - partly because I have not been really working a plan. My eating is all over the place. My fear is that I have stretched my stomach. I feel so much better. I'm afraid. I haven't been able to stick with the support group because of distance. So I thought I would seek out other sleeve folks for support. Thanks for sharing your stories and helpful suggestions.

I am currently finding it harder to only eat when my body signals hunger. Any help would be appreciated!
  • Flowergirl444
    Options
    HEY THERE! Im so happy to see so many who have had Bariatric Surgery. I had my RNY in June 2013. I have lost just over 100 pounds. I love myfitness pal to keep track! Sometimes I forget but for the most part I do it every day. I still do not have much of an appetite so granging is not much of an issue. I sometimes eat stuff I shouldn't - chocolate cake, I had it recently and my stomach accepted it. You are still recovering so you are probably at home. It will be different when you get back to your routine and you won't have so much time to think about food!! Congrats on your decision to go with surgery, and its true it is a tool and we must use it wisely. I was speaking to someone the other day who complained that she had stretched her stomach (she had surgery ten years ago) and now she is having it done again. Don't eat so much that you end up stretching things, she gained back all her weight and medical issues to boot! Any way we can all start a support group together?
  • tigergem86
    tigergem86 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Check out Obesityhelp.com they have a VSG forum with alot of active members
  • Flowergirl444
    Options
    I had an RNY in June. Ive done very well, off insulin, many, many pills for Diabetes and Blood Pressure. I am so grateful for this change in my life. Weight loss before surgery seemed impossible regardless of exercise and diet and I was very unhappy. For me it was a wonderful experience, not without a few bumps along the way either but well worth it. I wouldn't have it any other way.