Gastric Sleeve Patients?????

Options

Replies

• zihuagirl
    Options
    Hi Kelly,,, welcome! I had the sleeve done on January 30,2013 and so far i am down 90 lbs. It has slowed down which is frusrtating. There are a lot of things that will come with this journey. Personally, interpersonally and then your relationship with food,. I was a grazer before surgury and that urge doesn't leave. I use the diet hot chocolate as a tool and a honey crisp apple with a low fat peanut butter. I always start the day with my protein shake, I use frozen greek yogurt cubes and frozen fruit to thinken it up. I always carry food with me in a little cooler. It really keeps me free from temptation. I do throw up once in a while. I think it has to do with the texture of what I ate, speed of the inhale and the volume. But honestly I couldn't be happier. I was a size 1x or 20 and now I am a solid 12. I want to loose another 20 pounds. I am determined to savor every win and fight every challenge. They can no longer find my heart condition. I am not pre-diabetic anymore and I have a lot of energy, Be prepared as to how others will react to you -- both good and bad, But remember this is YOUR journey and you did this for you. If you need anythng please reach out -- and congrats on your big decision and new journey! :flowerforyou: :bigsmile:
  • zihuagirl
    Options
    Try almond milk and freeze greek yogurt cubes -- low fat vanilla, and toss that in with some frozen fruit and you will not taste the whey I also like the brand body fortress. It has the least repeat on me, Good luck and let us know if you have come across anything.
  • larrylaw21
    larrylaw21 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Having my sleeve done on Dec 10th, started my two week pre-op two days ago and its no so bad. However, I find myself wondering about food a little more than I should. Im not afraid to have the surgery, just of the new life that I will be taking on. Can anyone answer my question? After the surgery, do you find yourself still wondering about food and if so what are some of the bumbs I need to avoid? Just wondering
  • akinslow69
    Options
    I am scheduled for VSG surgery 1/13/14, feeling both excited and nervous. I have to have an IVC filter placed on 1/10/14, due to a blood clotting disorder. Has anyone out there had the same filter placed and were there any complication with it? Also, I am not a fan of protein drinks, which is the best?
  • SibylDiane
    SibylDiane Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    larrylaw21, I wasn't hungry and didn't care about food for about the first three months after my surgery. Since then I have started to get hunger back but I don't have any problems staying on my doctor's plan. He has a very strict post-surgery eating plan and I am just in the mindset that I follow it without deviation, whether hungry or not.

akinslow69, there are lots of protein drinks out there to try. I generally like to make my own rather than buy ready to drink. My favorite protein powders are the Syntrax Matrix, Unjury, Chike, and Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standard. The Syntrax Nectar flavors are also very good, especially right after surgery, because they are lighter (mix with water) so are easier to drink. You can get samples of all of these. I recommend getting samples but not trying them until after surgery as your tastes will very likely change. No point in committing to a big tub of protein before surgery when you may hate it after.

If anyone wants to send me a friend request, feel free. I love having active MFP friends, particularly sleevers. :)
  • Scott23323
    Options
    Hello everyone, I had my gastric sleeve surgery 6 weeks ago. I feel great. I have lost 60 lbs and I am getting back to the old active me ( swimming a mile a day ect.). I have a few questions maybe a few of the group could answer. I find it very difficult to maintain adequately hydrated. I eat several times a day about 1/2 cup of food each time. Is that normal. I am so scared that I will stretch my sleeve out. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated
    Best to all my sleeve buddies,
    Scott
  • Malaylah
    Options
    I had the sleeve done on June 10 2013 and have lost 114lbs so far. I only regretted the surgery the first week because of the surgery pain (pulled muscle feeling across the stomach and gas pains in the chest) but once that week was over things have been back to normal each day. I had some hair loss month 4, but it wasn't coming out in chunks, it was just like more on my brush than usual so I started taking 10,000 mcg of Biotin and it's back to normal now. The main thing I struggle with is getting 8 glasses of water a day and snacking on cheesies cuz they're small and easy to get down. I've slowed down a little on the weightloss recently but I'm working out and gonna try some different exercises. I never had any complications, but my medical team put me through a lot of testing beforehand and I followed the postop instructions pretty good. It's a great tool to jumpstart you into changing your life healthier but you have to really change your habits or you won't get the results you want. And the best advice I could give someone who is going to have the surgery, purchase chewable Gas-X tablets. They will save your life the first couple weeks when you have gas pains.
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,702 Member
    Options
    I had surgery 6/10/13 too and have lost 108 so far. I'm still losing 1.5-2#/wk and have 50-70# to go.

The first week I had gas (they pump it inside us to expand the surgery area) & diarrhea which I discussed with my medical providers (this resolved before intervention was required).

Had difficulty taking medicine the first couple weeks - nurse said take pain meds, which helped a lot (even though I wasn't in pain).

Difficulty drinking till my stomach healed (a month or so) - could only sip at first, now can gulp - got a nurse's watch which beeps every 15 minutes to remind me to drink (still).

I am starting to enjoy food again. But I appreciate having only a few flavorful bites and chew chew chew till it's mush. It's easier to swallow and extends the enjoyment. I eat my protein first and then veggies to fill me up (to help avoid having potatoes and cakes). It's important to get the nutrition before the treats. And it's important to me to love that I'm eating less because my longterm goal is to be healthy and happy.

Sidetrack here. The sleeve does not make us skinny. If I eat carbs, I still get cravings. If I don't eat enough (esp. protein) I still get hungry. The Ghrellin may be diminished at first but it comes back. The sleeve does force us to eat less, but can be stretched out. Sleeves give us a kickstart to lose weight, but we have to change our eating habits to succeed and avoid gaining it back. It is important to learn to enjoy smaller portions, and not eat that junk food. Nutritious food can be tasty and fulfilling.

It's up to us to see the glass as half full or half empty. We can focus on appreciating the things we Can eat (which can be really delicious) - or we can think about the things that made us get obese in the first place. If we have an addiction, we have to kick it and stay on the wagon. The sleeve will let us do that (I AM addicted to processed carbs), but we have to be vigilant for life. It's just easier if we have an eating lifestyle that we enjoy and don't have to fight.

I drink protein shakes religiously to get 60-80+gm/day. I'm allergic to dairy, some people develop an intolerance after surgery. I prefer egg-based more than soy proteins. My favorite is Optimum Nutrition 100% Egg Gold Standard Rich Chocolate flavor.

Have hit stalls (just keep doing everything right and have faith. It will be frustrating, but it Will resolve!) and have lost hair (it's dramatic and scary, but it grows back!)

I exercise to the extent I can. Arm lifts in my chair, gentle walks, my abilities increased as I toned and lost weight. My knees are blown, I'm over 60 years old, and at 317# I could barely walk without pain. Now I can walk on level streets (it feels amazing to just walk walk walk), but hills are hard and I still can't do stairs.

Tracking food helps immensely, as does the advice from all the wonderful sources on MFP. ("VSGers" and "Sleevers" are both surgery groups and I love "Let's Lose 100+").

Best wishes to us all!
    Paula
  • claudiafuselier
    Options
    i had my surgery on October 14th. I am down 38 pounds. It has been a long hard road. I had a hematoma on my spleen and then pneumonia. Been in and out of the hospital twice since surgery. I was walking over a mile a day, which was good for me. Then the hospital visits put a stop to that for a little while. I am not to the place yet where I can say I am happy I had this surgery. I think I will get there in the future. Some days I am just very nauseated and have a hard time getting anything down. I am not getting my protein I should be getting. The protein drinks are hard to swallow anymore. I just ordered some Unjury which is unflavored powder protein. I hope this helps. I am glad I found this forum and reading all of your posts have helped. Any advice would be so appreciated.
  • Gabbymom34
    Options
    Surgery 10/28. Have lots of reflux issues. Not sure what r how much I should be eating. Having lots of trouble getting in fluid. After two bites and then just kinda sits there. Is this feeling normal, eating too fast? Too much?
  • DrSchizo
    DrSchizo Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Surgery 10/28. Have lots of reflux issues. Not sure what r how much I should be eating. Having lots of trouble getting in fluid. After two bites and then just kinda sits there. Is this feeling normal, eating too fast? Too much?

I had mine on 11/4/13 and I'm having the same issue. When I eat, it feels like it just sits there. I'm concerned about protein shakes due to the calories and carb content, so I try to get my protein from chicken :/
  • claudiafuselier
    Options
    I had issues with burning when I ate. My doctor told me to take a prilosec once a day. That helped tremendously.
  • Camjack46
    Options
    Hi ....congrats! On 60 lbs!! I had surgery on 11-20-2013 and am down 25. I am starting to want to snack...but having trouble eating in the morning....is that weird or what?? Anyway I am responding to your fear of stretching your stomach back out....I have the same fear!!!! Has this happened? I mean, how realistic is that ?
  • myburt2013
    Options
    Ok i was sleeved February 15, 2013. Has anyone stalked on their weight loss and kinda lost motivation?
  • crystal48640
    Options
    I'm struggling with this soooo bad right now. I feel sooo hungry i think its just acid though. I need support!!
  • michmarin
    Options
    Hello. I am happy to say that I have begun the process to have the gastric sleeve procedure done. Jan. 10th is the day I go for the seminar, surgeon consultation & first meeting with the dietician. I have done extensive research on all the WLS procedures out there & the sleeve, by far, seemed to be the most successful with the least amount of complications. Of course, as with any surgery, WLS or otherwise, there is always a chance of complications. I look at the positives vs. the negatives. I suffer daily with pain, have lost alot of mobility, take multiple medications to "bandaid" the multiple health issues I have because of my morbid obesity, all at the ripe "old" age of my mid 40's. I WANT MY LIFE BACK! I want to be able to go for walks, exercise, get groceries at the store without having to drive a scooter around. I have mentally prepared myself for this. Completely educated myself to know that this WLS is a tool to help me reach my goals. I am hoping for surgery in Feb. or March of 2014. I have read alot of the posts on this forum & am now more excited than ever to get this process going & have my WLS. Thank you all so much & I hope to read more on this site. Good Luck to everyone on this journey. Can't wait to report my progress as well.
  • darrenmerlino
    Options
    I had my surgery on 11/25 and have lost 50 lbs so far. I stared at 405 lbs. I have had no problems what- so -ever. I feel for those of you who have. My suggestion for the grazing is to eat some sugar free jello or ice pops. Helps me when I need a little something. Good luck to you all.
  • jaycloud22
    jaycloud22 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm in process off getting the sleeve done next year. Currently still doing my programs but it's really hard because sometimes I don't know what to eat without gaining weight before my surgery. Would love to hear more stories t.y.
  • Wannabslim2014
    Wannabslim2014 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

I have been heavily overweight for nearly 12 years after I left school and I'm only 28! (337lbs at the moment) I have tried every diet under the sun but my health has begun to deteriorate. I have dislocated both my knees and now have arthritis in them, have a bad back and continually getting colds etc. I can lose the weight but cannot keep it off and when it goes back on it doubles. I spoke with my doctor and we both agreed that unless I do something soon...well it doesn't bear thinking about really.:sad:

I will be having the Sleeve Feb/March 2014. I have had the consultants appointment, my dieticians appointment is 17th January and then we are all set to go and book a date.

I have been reading the thread and it looks like the majority of the group have had good experiences with the surgery and not suffered too badly with pain etc afterwards. The question I put to the group is has anyone had to lose as much as I do and how was your body after losing all the weight. I will be doing exercise once the weight starts to come off but just wondering what the after effects are like or do you require corrective surgery afterwards?
    I look forward to hearing from you and please add me, I'm happy to chat xxx :flowerforyou:
    xxx
  • bkirk1245
    Options
    I have had the Gastric Bypass 12 years ago and the band 5 years ago got pregnant. I wanted the sleeve because I cant shake this weight.. But decided I may need to get my mind together and just exercise! You Look awesome anyhow