Does coffee help or hinder your weight loss?

Options
13»

Replies

• Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    TL;DR
    Take my Coffee and I will cut you!
    I NEEED THAT!
  • kalel1100
    Options
    Coffee is a natural dietetic, and in small amounts, like one cup a day it can be good for your health, but like any other food if it is abused it can have nasty side effects. Do some independent research and make a decision based on your own experiences, also try to drink it black, if you are over loading it with creams and sugars you are not doing yourself any favors. When it comes to coffee, drinking it black is what is best.

Check out this link on Coffee and its positive effects on the human body.

http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2013-02/why-coffee-good-you-here-are-7-reasons
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,641 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    I love coffee, but it really messes with my blood sugar. And even if I only drink one cup. It generally makes me more hungry. What is your experience?
    The blood sugar is "messed" with by the sugar you put in it. It ain't the coffee.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • RonJr88
    RonJr88 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    It doesn't seem to help or hinder me but I don't add anything to my coffee,so I still drink 3 or 4 cups a day and I am still loosing weight.Now if you want to talk about the Bourbon(on the rocks) and the cheese and crackers that seem to call my name once a week then that seems to be my weakness that hinders.:)
  • idontcarroll
    idontcarroll Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    It helps me poop, so I'm gonna say coffee is positive for my weight loss.
  • neelia
    neelia Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Coffee generally lessens my hunger. I think mostly mine is boredom or the feeling of needing to have something in my mouth (go on and get the dirty jokes out of the way, trolls)...and coffee helps control that.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    I love coffee, but it really messes with my blood sugar. And even if I only drink one cup. It generally makes me more hungry. What is your experience?

Based on the bold I would say that coffee (or at least the way you prepare it) probably hinders your progress.

That being said, unless you're adding "stuff" to your coffee I don't see how it's messing with your blood sugar.

My experience is that I love coffee and if coffee were hindering my progress then I'd be a not-progressing overweight happy person with a coffee filled belly.
  • feltlikesound
    feltlikesound Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    My survival depends on a morning coffee. I put a shot from the hot chocolate machine (maybe 4 tbsp) in the bottom, then fill 'er up! No other milk/sugar beyond the hot chocolate. As someone mentioned above, it really helps tone down my sweet tooth, delays my hunger a bit while I am awaiting lunch, and is something I genuinely enjoy (a feeling we sometimes we don't get a lot of when we're learning to change eating habits).

It's the lower-cal version of my much-loved mocha ;).

On weekends with cals to spare my spouse and I split luxurious overpriced coffees.

I have not drank, drank more, etc etc. and my coffee habits have not impacted my weight loss the slightest bit -- at least not that I have noticed.
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
    Options
    It helps me poop, so I'm gonna say coffee is positive for my weight loss.
    Exactly what she said. If I'm constipated, a little extra coffee usually helps.
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    I find coffee - proper espresso, that is, with no additions (except possibly milk, on occasion) - makes me less hungry, so a help, rather than a hindrance.
  • TheKeithEllis
    TheKeithEllis Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Does coffee help or hinder your weight loss?

Neither in my experience. I think the biggest factor where coffee is concerned is in the many ways to make/take it - I find as long as you avoid calorific coffees such as Lattes (yes even a 'skinny' latte ain't exactly low on calories), Cappuccino and Mocha's, sticking to Americano or Filter coffee with a dash of skimmed or semi-skimmed. But hey, if you love your calorific versions then log them honestly and all will be well.
  • MDChesler
    MDChesler Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Coffee is a kick start to the metabolism and helps with calorie burning. Its all the sugar and cream that we put in it that offsets the good it does for us. I have weened myself off of the sugar and the cream and have been drinking black coffee for a week and absolutely love it!
  • mochamommy
    mochamommy Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Coffee good.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    It helps me lose weight at around 9:30am every morning! :laugh:

I don't think that's what you mean, though. In terms of fat loss, it neither helps, nor hinders. Drink away.
  • TLwineguzzler
    TLwineguzzler Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    So many people who only have 2 cups a day!!! I have at least 5 mugs - does that mean I'm a coffeeholic?! have it with skimmed milk and no sugar though in my defence :drinker:
  • vslnrunner
    vslnrunner Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I think it really depends on if you're mixing a ton of sugar and cream in with it. It could be a huge source of hidden calories.
  • MamaGraff
    MamaGraff Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I love coffee and I find that when I am hungry, its the best thing to have to get away from eating. I put cinnamon in my grounds when I make a pot of coffee and it gives it a great flavor. Because I am eating low carb, I got rid of my creamer and add a little bit of skim milk. Its awesome. I dont know if it has too many effects on metabolism or not. I just know that it gets me thru a craving from something sweet.
  • mcrane4
    mcrane4 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Caffeine is a appetite suppressant. I use EC stack and I feel no hunger pains. I take 3 200mg caffeine pills a day. I'm not to sure how much this works out to coffee
  • ddrmaster07
    ddrmaster07 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I have started drinking coffee in the morning. I have some with a little cream. It really holds me over till lunch. But the crazy thing is that I drink Decaf. Im wondering if its the fact that its hot liquid going into the stomach that makes me feel full.