new but not new, getting surgery, advice??

Options
Ive lost 87lbs over the course of my life and been maintaining my current weight for about 6 months now. I do fluctuate, but not more than 10lbs ever. I would eventually like to get down to the 150s though... since I was 10 years old I started gainined weight and becoming unhappy with my body. I started getting a flabby tummy even at 10 years old. by 8th grade I had sworn off jeans because they didnt fit from juiniors sections. I didnt wear jeans again until senior year, when I started losing the weight.I hid my body under mens sweatshirts because of my ugly stomach. In 2009 I became pregnant and had a 10 pound, 4 ounce child. needless to say my confidence in my stomach area has been written off forever...

well I just got my tax return and omg... this is the first year of my life ive gotten $ back like this... I have enough money now to get a tummy tuck!!! I feel after literally years of hating my body, this is my only setback. my arms are still bigger and have stretch marks, my hips and thighs are still big, but I rock shorts and tanks at the gym and dont care. ive never once in my life be able to show my stomach to anyone. I feel sooo excited and sooo ready for this!

I am thinking of booking 6 weeks out to step up my fitness regimen at the gym and get the fittest I can for this surgery. my arms and legs I feel I can tone still even after surgery... and I have a friend who did this also and ended up woth a rockin bod. ahh im so excited!

I guess I just wanted to introduce myself, im looking for new friends, as im still trying to stay fit, maybe lose 5 or 10 more lbs before surgery, and looking for anyone with stories of encouragement. :)

Replies

• Mrs_Torres
    Options
    Bump?? :]
  • Mrs_Torres
    Options
    Anyone?? I would love some supportive friends/comments/stories/anything! :)
  • Alocin75
    Options
    Hi Mrs Torres, I haven't had a TT, but am planning one, once I lose my weight and can keep it off! I had a breast reduction
    5 years ago. It was pretty painful, but would do it again in a heartbeat! Start upping your protein to help with healing. Also
    drinking lemon water after the surgery seemed to help with swelling. I would boil cup of water and let it cool then squeeze
    the lemon in it. Took a while to get use to it, but it wasn't too bad. Make sure to really research your doctor. Go and have
    consultations with several and look at their before and after pictures. Ask what happens if you you have trouble healing?
    Do they do revisions in office and for no charge? I had one bad spot and had to be seen several extra times because of it.
    The Dr even had to reopen the spot and restitch it. I don't think complications like that are normal, but can happen, so you
    want to be prepared in the beginning and know how he will handle it.

Good luck! :)
  • nancyluckhurst3
    nancyluckhurst3 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I had a tummy tuck at 35 and yes you will feel great. I will tell you it is the most painful surgery you will probably ever have but it is more than worth it. Pick your surgeon wisely. some are much better than others. Mine was the greatest. He even rebuilt me a cut little belly button. And yes to getting yourself in the best shape possible prior to surgery.
    Ive lost 87lbs over the course of my life and been maintaining my current weight for about 6 months now. I do fluctuate, but not more than 10lbs ever. I would eventually like to get down to the 150s though... since I was 10 years old I started gainined weight and becoming unhappy with my body. I started getting a flabby tummy even at 10 years old. by 8th grade I had sworn off jeans because they didnt fit from juiniors sections. I didnt wear jeans again until senior year, when I started losing the weight.I hid my body under mens sweatshirts because of my ugly stomach. In 2009 I became pregnant and had a 10 pound, 4 ounce child. needless to say my confidence in my stomach area has been written off forever...

well I just got my tax return and omg... this is the first year of my life ive gotten $ back like this... I have enough money now to get a tummy tuck!!! I feel after literally years of hating my body, this is my only setback. my arms are still bigger and have stretch marks, my hips and thighs are still big, but I rock shorts and tanks at the gym and dont care. ive never once in my life be able to show my stomach to anyone. I feel sooo excited and sooo ready for this!

I am thinking of booking 6 weeks out to step up my fitness regimen at the gym and get the fittest I can for this surgery. my arms and legs I feel I can tone still even after surgery... and I have a friend who did this also and ended up woth a rockin bod. ahh im so excited!

I guess I just wanted to introduce myself, im looking for new friends, as im still trying to stay fit, maybe lose 5 or 10 more lbs before surgery, and looking for anyone with stories of encouragement. :)
  • emilyc85
    emilyc85 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    How exciting!! I have always told myself that if I ever had the money I would buy new boobies because mine have ALWAYS looked funny! And they are something I have always hated about myself. I know guys don't care, but it is a confidence thing with me as well, lol!

I am sure that nothing was wrong with your stomach before, but sometimes there are things about ourselves that we just cant get past. If this is something that will help you have confidance in yourself, then I say GO FOR IT!!

I agree with Alocin75 though, research research research!! Don't go to the first doctor you find, meet with them, get a consult and see how you feel about them :) There are some doctors I have met just cuz I am sick and they are the "on call" doctor and I have HATED them! You need to under the knife with someone you like and trust! Listen to your gut feeling ( no pun intended, sorry...) :)

Good luck to you!!
  • zombiemomjo
    zombiemomjo Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    How awesome that you can do that for yourself! I had a breast reduction when I was 19, and it was painful, but oh so worth it! Now after 2 nearly 10 lb babies via c section in less than 2 years and 40+ lbs down from my pregnancy weight, I have the dreaded flap as well. If I had the money, I would be doing it as well. Great work so far, and best of luck with the surgery and ultimate toning. You are gonna rock that new body!
  • Mrs_Torres
    Options
    Thanks everyone. :) super encouraging. I am nervous/excited.

I would love to add to my list of questions for the doc. any more stories of tt or pre op?? :)
  • Calivixen
    Options
    Just make sure you have someone to help take care of you for a few days. A friend of mine did it and she said it was pretty tough to move around. Good luck!
  • phyllisbobbitt
    phyllisbobbitt Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I am so glad for you girl! I am planning to do the very same thing next year! I have sent you a friend request because I think together we can support & encourage each other!
  • pseudomuffin
    pseudomuffin Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I don't have any advice except listen to your surgeon's recommendations for post-surgery care! Sounds like a good plan to me, though, nothing wrong with a little help in getting where you want to be :)
  • docdrd
    docdrd Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I obviously do not know how a woman's body responds, but how about finding a really good personal trainer and trying to do it with weights and exercise rather than the knife? Seems like both a more sustainable and a more cost effective solution (though clearly one that will not have results as quickly). Obviously, I have never given birth, so I have no idea how tummies do or do not bounce back, but I know that losing a belly is the hardest thing for guys yet can be done. Just my $0.02. Good luck either way :-)