Adding Fiber to my Diet

Options
I have noticed that I do not eat enough Fiber on a daily basis. Does anyone have any good ideas what I can add to my daily foods in order to increase my fiber intake?

Replies

• Panthers89
    Panthers89 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Beans (and other legumes) & carrots, beets, and mostly any rooty vegetable can increase your fiber count. There are many more...I'm sure there will be additional responses.
  • PinkCoconut
    PinkCoconut Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    What Panthers89 said! Beans and lots of veggies are a great start! I also add a scoop of fibre to my shakes every day just in case I have a day where my eating isn't ideal!
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal. Whole Grains.
  • fjcone
    fjcone Posts: 19
    Options
    I use Fiber bars. I was starving with a deficit till I added them to my diet.
  • cardinalsfootball
    cardinalsfootball Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Order a small bag of chia seeds. Drink them in water each day. Tons of fiber, along with other health benefits. And you'll hardly taste them.

Or, just eat a ton of veggies. Almost any veggies, especially leaves, will do.
  • Praying_Mantis
    Praying_Mantis Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Milled flax seeds. I add to breakfast cereals (hot or cold), spaghetti sauce, cookies, breads, almost anything.
  • crystalewhite
    crystalewhite Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I make green smoothies and add Benefiber to my hot beverages. Start out slowly, if you add too much fiber to your diet at once you will get the most uncomfortable gas pains!

Fiber one bars are very tasty too, but they have sugar alcohols in them and my body does not process them properly. Eat with caution.
  • crystalewhite
    crystalewhite Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Ohhh, chia seeds in coconut water are delicious!
  • TingoAcias
    Options
    Beans, raspberries, flax, chia, , Creamette 150 pasta has about 13g per serving, OatFit Oatmeal has more fiber than a lot of other oatmeal, and the granddaddy of all fiber rich cereals Fiber One (the original one that looks like twigs) is pretty low cal and has about half the fiber RDA in a mere half cup.
  • megs_03
    megs_03 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your ideas, these should all help me!
  • Jade0529
    Jade0529 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    TMI but chia seeds do not agree with everyone. be careful! I like them but even a small amount and I can't leave the house!

lentils, beans, veggies, berries, make hummus or bean dips, grain breads, stuff like that. I have a mini contest with myself to see if I can get more than my fiber total for the day.
  • shadowfootgamer
    Options
    psyllum husks + chia seeds, no carrots or beets
  • snoodled
    Options
    Try beans, oatmeal, whole grain breads and cereals. There are also fiber supplements.
  • rosevalleygirl23
    rosevalleygirl23 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    pears
    avocado
    coconut
  • tiger_lily5
    tiger_lily5 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Check out his recipe for 'bread' that I came across. Pretty much has ALL the fiber you'd need in one slice a day. I haven't made it yet, but I hope to this weekend. Someone's already input the nutritional data for this, just search for Life Changing Loaf. 18g Fiber and 11g Protein per slice! how awesome is that?

http://www.mynewroots.org/site/2013/02/the-life-changing-loaf-of-bread/
  • JipsyJudy
    JipsyJudy Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Unsweetened shredded coconut is a fabulous way to get more fiber. You can sprinkle it on cereal, mix it into a dish of summer squash, or sprinkle it onto fresh fruit on salad.
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I have noticed that I do not eat enough Fiber on a daily basis.

Are you having problems related to lack of fiber? Or are you just looking at the number of grams MFP recommends, and trying to meet that, because "everyone knows fiber is good for you"?

If you do increase, do it gradually--there can be unpleasant digestive side effects to adding a lot of fiber at once.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I have noticed that I do not eat enough Fiber on a daily basis.

Are you having problems related to lack of fiber? Or are you just looking at the number of grams MFP recommends, and trying to meet that, because "everyone knows fiber is good for you"?

If you do increase, do it gradually--there can be unpleasant digestive side effects to adding a lot of fiber at once.

This!^

GRADUAL is the way to go.

There are 2 types of fiber - soluble & insoluble. Each has different health benefits

Soluble fibers attract water and form a gel, which slows down digestion. Soluble fiber delays the emptying of your stomach and makes you feel full, which helps control weight. Slower stomach emptying may also affect blood sugar levels and have a beneficial effect on insulin sensitivity, which may help control diabetes. Soluble fibers can also help lower LDL (“bad”) blood cholesterol by interfering with the absorption of dietary cholesterol.
    • Sources of soluble fiber: oatmeal, oat cereal, lentils, apples, oranges, pears, oat bran, strawberries, nuts, flaxseeds, beans, dried peas, blueberries, psyllium, cucumbers, celery, and carrots.

Insoluble fibers are considered gut-healthy fiber because they have a laxative effect and add bulk to the diet, helping prevent constipation. These fibers do not dissolve in water, so they pass through the gastrointestinal tract relatively intact, and speed up the passage of food and waste through your gut. Insoluble fibers are mainly found in whole grains and vegetables.
    • Sources of insoluble fiber: whole wheat, whole grains, wheat bran, corn bran, seeds, nuts, barley, couscous, brown rice, bulgur, zucchini, celery, broccoli, cabbage, onions, tomatoes, carrots, cucumbers, green beans, dark leafy vegetables, raisins, grapes, fruit, and root vegetable skins.
  • Timeforme714
    Timeforme714 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Edamame is a great way to add fiber to your diet. You can buy it frozen or the roasted kind. It also contains a nice amount of protein.