trying to get off the addiction horse

Options
Hi,
I am trying to lose 100 lbs. while quitting smoking. I am a habit former. I was awfully sick in Dec. I had an epiphany that if I stayed on the road I was on I would not see 50. So, I am on a new road. If anyone wants to tag along, I would appreciate the company.

Replies

• gunshyangel78
    gunshyangel78 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Quitting smoking is super hard. I quit 10 years ago and still sometimes think about it. I wish you every success on you health journey. Lou
  • TeresaB1979
    TeresaB1979 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Please, please, please do yourself a favour and get a hold of Allen Carr's Easyway to Stop Smoking Permanently.

I stopped after reading it seven years ago and it really was easy (incredible I know) and I hate the thought of smoking now. I never, ever miss them. In fact I can't believe I ever used to put cigarettes in my mouth (I was a really heavy smoker too- smoked from the minute I woke up until I went to bed, I would sometimes get up in the night to smoke).

I recommend anyone who wants to stop and feel great about it reads that book (I know it seems ridiculous that a book will stop you smoking but it's just because it helps you understand the nature of nicotine addiction and once you 'get it' you suddenly realise you don't want or need cigarettes in your life). Give it a go. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

A lot of people will tell you stopping has to be hard and you will always miss them. And I understand that is the case for a lot of people and I respect that that is their experience but it doesn't have to be that way. You can stop and feel elated to be free of the damned things- I promise. I'm living proof. :smile:

*Edited to add: I've actually lost a lot of weight since stopping the smoking. I felt so much happier and healthier I felt I could take on the world. You will only eat lots of you feel you are 'missing' something. With this method you don't have that feeling. You only feel relief that you have escaped from smoking and are no longer stuck in that miserable cycle of wishing you could stop and then lighting another one (I know that feeling well and it is great to be finished with it).*
  • WorkinNurse
    WorkinNurse Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking 18 months ago. I too have 100 lbs. to lose. Focus on how your breathing is going to improve, and how your smell is going to change(you wont smell like cigarette smoke) and the cough that you do without thinking is going to stop and focus on the positive changes of quitting smoking and getting yourself to a healthy weight! I would be happy to support you too. I cant wrap my head around 100 lbs to lose so I am focussing on 20 lbs at a time!:smile:
  • Earthgirl51
    Earthgirl51 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the support. I have actually not had a cigarette since December 4. I still want one. This is not the first time I have quit. It is the first time I have quit for ME. This journey is for me to realize that I don't have to be owned by a poison stick. I can be healthy, happy, lose weight, and smell "like a girl" because I deserve it.
  • katybugg73
    katybugg73 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I quit a little over a year ago with the help of e-cigs wich I dont even use anymore. Not easy. I wish you the best! I need to lose at least 60 lbs.! On a journey myself and would love company=)
  • slovie64
    slovie64 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Earthgirl, if you haven't smoked in over 2 months, you are doing great! i quit over 4 years ago, and put on at least 30 pounds in the process - I figured if I was quitting smoking I was going to give it ALL my energy. Now I too have 100 pounds to lose, but I figure, if I could kick nicotene, I can do this too.

Good luck and add me as a friend if you need more support.
  • Kmedeiros83
    Kmedeiros83 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I quite smoking 6 years ago and eating took over as my crutch for stress, etc. I'm now changing that and being accountable for the stress in my life.

If you need a friend that's been through it please feel free to add me :)