Working out on sore muscles? OUCH!

Options
Hey All.....

So I did a pretty intense workout last night after about 2 months off any exercise and now I am very stiff and sore....is it a good idea to exercise on sore muscles or should I let them rest for a day???

xx

Replies

• DoctahJenn
    DoctahJenn Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Best thing is to do a REALLY good warmup before you do anything crazy, but it's still a good idea to get some exercise when your muscles are sore. To be honest, you'll hurt less when the muscles are warm from a workout. :) And make sure you drink a ton of water!
  • cpusmc
    cpusmc Posts: 122
    Options
    What kind of exercise? Weights, cardio, crossfit etc...
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    To feel better the second day, instead of worse, you need to do again some sort of workout, but much lighter. Nothing to get tired, more like a long extended warm up. Like, if you got sore muscles from e.g. running or an aerobics-type class, go for a long walk at moderate pace, moving will help.
  • popshoveit
    Options
    I'm not an expert but I've found that whenever I start doing something new, I hurt... I keep at it and it feels fine in a day or two. I guess it all depends because on the other hand you don't want to injure yourself.
  • Micha121
    Options
    I basically did a whole bunch of squats, lunges, hip raises and a whole lot of other floor work- about 3 times with 8-12 reps each.

• cpusmc
    cpusmc Posts: 122
    Options
    I basically did a whole bunch of squats, lunges, hip raises and a whole lot of other floor work- about 3 times with 8-12 reps each.

So a lower body routine. Since its been 2 months or so, you might think about doing upper body today and then lay off till Monday next week. First time back your muscles tend to be pretty sore and working them out again the next day will not help as your body needs time to repair and recover. You ought to be able to hit the same lower body routine twice next week and the soreness should start to get less and less at which time you can increase weight, reps etc. Soreness typically last a little longer after a lengthy layoff.