Lean Cuisines

Options
Is Lean Cuisine, Smart Ones, and Lean Gourmet good, bad, or neutral for you??? I love their meals and portions, but I know they're highly processed, so I'm wondering if they're just doing much more harm than good???

Replies

• Sallybally55
    Sallybally55 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    eh depends on who you ask... for me they work becuase they are quick, easy, pretty low cal, I'm not on a sodium restricted diet and honestly it's better than the alternative of not packing a lunch.... fast food
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    They are terrible. Over processed, not enough protein, heavy on carbs and sodium. I make extra dinner and take it for lunch.,
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    You are going to get conflicting answers.

I use them sometimes, I also cook other times. Bottom line I think, if you are substituting frozen meals for EVERY meal, then you will have issues.......a little better than fast food....but still not learning life skills to help keep weight lost from coming back.

I like adding extra veggies to my Lean Cuisines......many are lacking in that area and veggies are super filling.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    They are Chaotic Neutral.

jk

As an occasional meal? Fine. I wouldn't advocate eating them exclusively, though.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    My opinion, okay once in awhile for a convenience food, but don't eat them every day, unless you are supplementing with other things to make sure you are hitting all your protein/carb/fat requirements.
  • melissamarah
    melissamarah Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I have a couple of Lean Cuisines in my freezer, but they're backups. Basically, they're there in case we run out of food and can't make it to the grocery store. My husband still gets snack food, and if it's between a Lean Cuisine or the large bag of potato chips, the Lean Cuisine isn't a bad choice.

Yeah, they're pretty nutritionally empty, but if you're eating them maybe once a week, they're not going to mess you up. Just don't eat them every day.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    IMHO...

- sodium bombs

- not much bang for your buck...calories to actual food ratio is pretty crappy.

- not much bang for your buck in terms of your actual buck.

- did I mention sodium? I'm hypertensive so one of those pretty much makes my heart want to blow out of my chest

- pretty lacking in protein generally speaking. I'm no hater of carbs, but those little meals tend to be very heavy on the carb side of things...I like a bit more balance.

- sodium...
  • sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I find them to be rather tasteless and not quite filling enough. I used to eat them fairly often for convenience, but I have now prioritized meal prep and cooking. The better I get at cooking, the worse frozen meals taste.

As for good or bad, it is to really difficult to classify foods this way. If it fits your goals and lifestyle I don't think there is anything wrong with it. I just think that with a bit more effort I can have a better tasting lunch with more nutrients.
  • candlechick27
    candlechick27 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I agree, I may have one or two a week when I am in a hurry and need a fast meal. They are to expensive to be buying all the time I find as well!!
  • Sheri3851
    Sheri3851 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I used to have one everyday for lunch. A friend of mine read an article about how they are not good for you. I decided to go a week without using them as my lunch. When I weighed at the end of the week, I had a bigger loss than I usually did. Not sure it had anything to do with giving up the frozen meals or not. I've lost weight many times having them for lunch. I did find that when I made a sandwich or had leftovers, I was more satisfied then when I ate a frozen dinner for lunch.
    I think I will limit them to when I simply have no time to make anything else.
  • writergeek313
    writergeek313 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I used to eat them pretty regularly for lunches, but I've tried to switch over to leftovers or things I make myself. I did have a few in the freezer and had one for lunch today. They're pretty gross to me now and I don't plan on buying them again.
  • bloominheck
    bloominheck Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I like them, they come in handy when I do not have anything else.
  • jlahorn
    jlahorn Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Amy's Kitchen has some pretty tasty low sodium options with a fair amount of vegetables, and some of them are particularly good over a bed of spinach, like the cheddar bowl and the one with pasta and asparagus.
    The brown rice and veggies is pretty good with a little sriracha.

I don't eat them all the time, but they are handy to have around.

I don't like Lean Cuisines and Healthy Choice nearly as much.
  • Loulady
    Loulady Posts: 511 Member
    Options

jk

+1!
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I used to eat them pretty often, and I think they are fine (but as everyone else has pointed out - full of sodium). NOW I use a can of soup for lunch when I'm working (unless I get a salad from the cafeteria). Still getting lots of sodium, but the soups are more filling to me and taste better than a lean cuisine. :) And the calories are about on par with the lean cuisines too. For example, I had a can of campbells clam chowder today. 360 calories. Some days I have a can of vegetable soup - 180 calories (GREAT for when I'm planning on having a large dinner).
  • Amanda_Gx6
    Amanda_Gx6 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Yes they are highly processed, yes they are high sodium but if your in a rush, didn't plan, didn't pack, need a quick meal than they are the better alternative to other frozen meal products. It shouldn't be a part of your weekly meal plan but it can be a good thing to keep on hand for those "oh ****" moments.
  • SoreTodayStrongTomorrow222
    Options
    Honestly, I very rarely eat frozen meals and if I do, it's usually terrible like Trader Joe's Frozen Macaroni and Cheese (OMG YUM). I would avoid the lean cuisines and stuff like that in general - but if you're crunched for time - one, once in a while, is not going to hurt.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options

jk

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Main issue for me is they don't fill me up. And lots of sodium, which isn't a big deal for me but can be for some people.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    I think they are delicious on the go meals that are great every once in a while. The thing you have to watch out for more than them being processed is that they tend to be higher in sodium. I just drink extra water on top of my water to counteract and all is well.
  • Mommy2bug2
    Mommy2bug2 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Keep an eye on your sodium intake. They are ALL really high in salt