Are the poor fat?

Options

Replies

• kaseysospacey
    kaseysospacey Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    yes, for a myriad of reasons. First, they are more likely to be uneducated. This is not always true of course (I'm pretty poor and I have a Bachelors degree)but overall. So they might not understand as much about nutrition, and may fall victim more often to the bogus claims on food packages. Secondly, they are going to buy what is cheap and fills you up. Ramen is super cheap! Its also caloric as hell. They are also more likely to have been raised on that kind of food, so its what they know and grew to like. If you grow up on hamburger helper and blue box mac n cheese, real homemade food and fresh vegetables taste weird and are so unfamiliar. Finally, they usually are pretty busy, working multiple jobs etc as well as having inadequate living space. So they dont have as much time to spend preparing food and planning meals,and they may not have great equipment to cook with or space for prepping food or storing food. I know a lot of people who only can go shopping every two weeks so they buy a lot of frozen and boxed food because it keeps.
  • kaseysospacey
    Options
    dbl post
  • kaseysospacey
    Options

As for the poor, well - in america its VERY expensive to eat properly for alot of people

Not true. Anyone who thinks it's expensive to eat "properly" has a skewed definition of "proper" eating. My family of four has a healthy diet on about $80 a week. I simply buy things when they are on sale, and I don't buy any of the expensive, pre-prepared foods such as frozen dinners and pizza rolls, etc. I review the weekly ads and buy the loss leaders at three to four different stores. For someone not willing to plan, the food that I get might cost them nearly twice what I pay.

They may also not have the time, the transportation, or the organizational skills to do so.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I still do not understand the excuse of eating healthy costs more. I actually spend less now then I did when we were eating processed, packaged foods. We spend $50 a week and make everything from scratch. We only buy one snack item each week and every now and again we buy a frozen pizza for a quick meal.

Not having a lot of money does not mean you have to eat like crap. It comes down to planning and making proper choices.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

As for the poor, well - in america its VERY expensive to eat properly for alot of people

Not true. Anyone who thinks it's expensive to eat "properly" has a skewed definition of "proper" eating. My family of four has a healthy diet on about $80 a week. I simply buy things when they are on sale, and I don't buy any of the expensive, pre-prepared foods such as frozen dinners and pizza rolls, etc. I review the weekly ads and buy the loss leaders at three to four different stores. For someone not willing to plan, the food that I get might cost them nearly twice what I pay.

They may also not have the time, the transportation, or the organizational skills to do so.

Excuses that translate into: "I really don't think eating healthy is very important."
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    I still do not understand the excuse of eating healthy costs more. I actually spend less now then I did when we were eating processed, packaged foods. We spend $50 a week and make everything from scratch. We only buy one snack item each week and every now and again we buy a frozen pizza for a quick meal.

Not having a lot of money does not mean you have to eat like crap. It comes down to planning and making proper choices.

Exactly! I used to have a million excuses to explain poor choices. Where there's a will, there's a way. It's just like people who say they can't exercise because they can't go to a gym. You will find a way if you truly want to.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    yes, for a myriad of reasons. First, they are more likely to be uneducated. This is not always true of course (I'm pretty poor and I have a Bachelors degree)but overall. So they might not understand as much about nutrition, and may fall victim more often to the bogus claims on food packages. Secondly, they are going to buy what is cheap and fills you up. Ramen is super cheap! Its also caloric as hell. They are also more likely to have been raised on that kind of food, so its what they know and grew to like. If you grow up on hamburger helper and blue box mac n cheese, real homemade food and fresh vegetables taste weird and are so unfamiliar. Finally, they usually are pretty busy, working multiple jobs etc as well as having inadequate living space. So they dont have as much time to spend preparing food and planning meals,and they may not have great equipment to cook with or space for prepping food or storing food. I know a lot of people who only can go shopping every two weeks so they buy a lot of frozen and boxed food because it keeps.

There is nothing inherently unhealthy about Ramen or mac n cheese. Both of these cheap items are regulars on my grocery list. This is part of what I meant by a skewed sense of "proper" or "healthy." One box of mac n cheese split between four people makes a great side dish for a well-balanced meal. One person eating the whole box for a meal...might not be so healthy.
  • TheITCrowd1
    Options
    I'm sure your a nice girl but i have to disagree 100% with what you've said for just about every reason under the sun going...

When you say a little - do you mean the 37 MILLION uninsured either because they are not 'viable'? or the 'paltry' 90million who are underinsured so would only get a partial payout in the event of something happening because they flat out can't afford it.

My guess is these same 90 million people cannot afford to eat a balanced diet week to week either ..

Out of 300million population, 90 is NOT a good number - thats almost a third ..

while, like it makes a difference whether it was 1 month or 2 years (More specifically in my case) -- When you say "don't qualify" what you mean is people paid slave labour wages by massive corporations right? Thats alot of people who have to choose between eating and getting healthcare - then you've got people railing against raising the minimum wage because it will cause economic hardship for a few billionaires! is this the same "small" amount your talking about??

Sorry your never going to win on this argument on the numbers alone, and need a better argument other than "You only lived her for a while"

are you saying things have changed since i left??
    I had my daughter when I was 17 years old and still in high school. Her father didn't bother to stick around or help out (no child support for the first eight years and he still isn't having to pay everythign he owes me). I graduated high school, went to college, worked part-time, minimum wage jobs and even after I graduated, it took a LONG time to build a career and get to a place where I was able to have a nice, comfortable life. My first "real" job after college paid $8 an hour.

So don't think I don't know what poor is or what programs are available to help people in a bad situation. Just because people choose not to take advantage of them doesn't mean they aren't available.

Are things perfect over here? Far from. but they're also not the dire straits people like you want to make them out to be.

And i've no doubt you are an excellent mum, and have worked your *kitten* off to provide the best for her, not taking anything away from that - i think its amazing! whilst 80 dollars to eat well sounds cheap to some people try telling that to someone who brings home 200dollars a week - when their rent is 100 dollars - bills might be 30 and .. oh you know what i mean?

The problems can be compounded further if you have some accident - maybe fall on ice and crack a bone, (Not wishing it on you) or some other misc out of your control thing happens, attacked in the street by somebody - or whatever causes some injury that requires a hospital visit .. imagine your insurance agrees to cover 80% of your bill, that sounds great until you realize the bill is 200k and you now need to stump up 40k cash on demand or face losing your home!

Your principal on healthy eating would change somewhat when faced with bankrupcy - its not nice but that is the reality for millions of people

You are merely treading water not far above jaws (or Gums if we're talking prequels:) withouout full coverage and even then they try not to pay out so you are never really sure.

Fair points though, NV and CA are higher cost of living than other states and presents quite a powerful argument the other direction which was more what i was looking for from a response, but from what i've been told the wages are comparitively slightly better but not enough to conpensate completely

I have my own business so don't really worry about that stuff, we quote them GBP which the USD has been taking a bit of a beating against the last while, so its hard to lose from my perspective,so whilst im not personally affected i still find it hard to ignore the glaring reality of the disparities between the haves and have nots

I Juice 2 meals a day and eat the middle one solid food, Juicing costs me about £70-£90 a week and eating lunch (I live in a very health conscious area) so its pretty easy to eat properly at lunch can run me £10 a day easily but im happy to spend money eating properly, but alot of people wouldn't be able to do that
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    And i've no doubt you are an excellent mum, and have worked your *kitten* off to provide the best for her, not taking anything away from that - i think its amazing! whilst 80 dollars to eat well sounds cheap to some people try telling that to someone who brings home 200dollars a week - when their rent is 100 dollars - bills might be 30 and .. oh you know what i mean?

Do you have any CLUE how many social programs that person qualifies for?
    I Juice 2 meals a day and eat the middle one solid food, Juicing costs me about £70-£90 a week and eating lunch (I live in a very health conscious area) so its pretty easy to eat properly at lunch can run me £10 a day easily but im happy to spend money eating properly, but alot of people wouldn't be able to do that

You say that as though juicing is necessary and someone can't pack a lunch at home for way cheaper than $10 or 10 pounds or whatever ...
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options

My budget is similar, and in my state, I qualify for none because I'm childless.

That being said I think juicing is an expensive way to eat (drink?) and I in no way eat $10 lunches but manage to afford to eat healthfully...
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

You say that as though juicing is necessary and someone can't pack a lunch at home for way cheaper than $10 or 10 pounds or whatever ...

Yeah, if you only bring home $200 per week, then you qualify for all sorts of help, especially with food. I spend $80 because I make too much to qualify for assistance, but don't have much left after the bills are paid.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    My budget is similar, and in my state, I qualify for none because I'm childless.

That being said I think juicing is an expensive way to eat (drink?) and I in no way eat $10 lunches but manage to afford to eat healthfully...

I'm curious about that. I've never heard of being declined for food stamps because only adults live in the home.
  • Sharon_73
    Sharon_73 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I think it is a combination of many factors with education being a very important key. Not just educating on making healthy choices, but learning how to prepare the foods. I used to work with pregnant teens and one of the exercises I would have them do is go to the grocery store with $10.00. It was an exercise to help teach healthy food choices on a limited budget. Most of my girls went for the pre-packaged foods. This is what was familiar to them. Their lack of education was knowing how to prepare a meal that didn't come out of a box or a bag.
  • rml_16
    Options

I'm curious about that. I've never heard of being declined for food stamps because only adults live in the home.
    Yeah ... having kids increases the household size, so you qualify with a larger income. But if you're only making $200 a month, even if you're a one-person household, you qualify. Food stamps (EBT) is a federal program and must abide by federal laws, mostly. States only have limited leeway.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options

Yeah ... having kids increases the household size, so you qualify with a larger income. But if you're only making $200 a month, even if you're a one-person household, you qualify. Food stamps (EBT) is a federal program and must abide by federal laws, mostly. States only have limited leeway.

I read $200 per week
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

I read $200 per week

OK, yeah. The original scenario was $200/wk, but I think RML is right about qualifications. Some states might have more hurdles, but as far as income guidelines, that's federal and should go by total in the household that eats together. I was thinking that kids might be less money than adults even, but I can't remember. I haven't looked at it in quite some time.
  • rml_16
    Options

I read $200 per week
    You're right. I misread.

Either way, $800 a month should still qualify. The standard is 150% or 200% above the FPL (depending on the program). At $10,400 a year, even a one-person household is well below that level. And if it's in a state with EIC, that person's income (with only one child) would end up being closer to $16,000 or $17,000 at the end of the year, plus benefits.

I'm not saying you're going to live high on the hog on that amount of money, but it's still more than I had working a full-time job when I started out after college.
  • leeann0517
    leeann0517 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I've gone through moments, especially as a single mom, when money was so tight I had to get creative. It's not hard to spend $20 on enough food to get you through pay day, especially when you buy store-brand.

Whole wheat bread 99¢
    Peanut butter $2
    Brown rice in a bag 99¢
    Banana 89¢ a bundle
    Beans 99¢
    Block of cheese $2
    2 cans tuna $1
    4 bag of frozen veggies $4
    Bag of frozen boneless chicken breast $7

$20 grocery list.

ETA: I never see people on food stamps buy healthy food and the program doesn't really give them any reason to.. Indiana just reduced food stamps a bit and people were outraged... people who get between $400 and $700 a month in food stamps. HOW THE HELL do you spend that much on food a month? Even my family of 3, with big appetites, spends about $250 a MONTH on food and we budget loosely. For people who get WIC, it's not hard for them to follow a list of approved items such as bread, milk, beans and cheese.. Why can't the food stamps program ALSO have a list of approved items? Things like $6-7 frozen DiGiorno pizzas don't belong in a cart of someone on assistance when they are buying 5 at a time. That's money that could be well spent on many other meals.

I don't know where the heck you find those prices - whole wheat breat is at least $3 a loaf.....not sure where you get peanut butter for $2...block of cheese - is that real cheese or cheese food?
  • TheITCrowd1
    Options

I read $200 per week
    You're right. I misread.

Either way, $800 a month should still qualify. The standard is 150% or 200% above the FPL (depending on the program). At $10,400 a year, even a one-person household is well below that level. And if it's in a state with EIC, that person's income (with only one child) would end up being closer to $16,000 or $17,000 at the end of the year, plus benefits.

I'm not saying you're going to live high on the hog on that amount of money, but it's still more than I had working a full-time job when I started out after college.

I dont know how old you are now or how long ago you went to college so only have my own experience to draw upon on this one - so forgive any disparities etc etc - when i went to work first i survived on £220 a week - the wages doing those kind of jobs have not changed even a tiny bit - but rent has inflated 400-900% depending on where you live in the last 12yrs, house prices have uncoupled themselves from reality - and are now running 1.1million and more - the average salary is 22k where as the average house price has just tipped 250k - so 10x salary in a normal area, in london this price increased somewhere in the high 8-900k whilst the average only jumps to 35k - so we are talking about 30x salary mortgages.. the only people buying are the assett rich, and crooks!

these crazy prices have been allowed by the elite and a corrupt government to run up who own them - which were bought for 80k a decade ago, peanuts basically!

Food prices easily go up 6-10% a year - EASILY! 5p here, 10p there - 5yrs ago £60 got me a decent trolley of food - one of the big ones! - now £60 barely gets you 2 bags of produce - a few steaks, some eggs some veg but it wouldn't last you a week.

Petrol prices have gone from 83p a litre or £3.20 a gallon ish - to £1.43 a litre or £6.43 a gallon - a rough translation is your looking at a 10 dollar gallon right now for gas in the UK.

Living on £220 a week here in the UK would put you out of commission pretty much, any notion of healthy eating would be the first thing to go when your rent swallows more than 60% of your paycheck .. the only release people have is to get help with their rent and go onto welfare schemes instead of making employers pay a decent working wage - we wouldn't want to have vodafone pay their tax bill in full now would we, that would be terrible!! whilst crooks like starbucks, vodafone, apple, and other corporations get away with paying no capital gains tax whatsoever on billions in UK profits ordinary peoples living costs are going through the roof and we are picking up the tab -

i liken it this way: we are basically being taken to the cash coverters by our paymasters and pawning ourselves in return for basic subsistence!
  • OverDoIt
    OverDoIt Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Prisoners eat 3 terrible meals a day, many do not have access to weights. Many of these same people have incredible physiques. With poverty comes stress, with stress comes depression and poor choices. Whether these choices include overeating, over indulgence, addiction to intoxicants etc... Many "poor" people feel hopeless, and are therefore more likely to have less regard for their health and fitness. I cannot blame anyone for wanting to eat cake when their life is filled with worry. Poverty is the biggest crime in all of humanity, we are all to blame.