Are the poor fat?

Options

Replies

• DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    The "truely" poor can not afford to buy food, plus they usually have very physical jobs like farmers and construction. They need high caloritic food to survive.

There is very few "truely" poor people in the US.

Go to a third world country, see real poverty.

^^QFT.

My mom and dad grew up during the Depression. No one was fat back then.

It would have been hard for them to get fat when they didn't eat. No one had money for food so no one ate. People literally starved to death. Just as they do in third-world countries, and in poverty-stricken areas of our own country.

That was my point. In The Depression, people truly were poor and did not know where their next meal was coming from. They also didn't spend what little money they had on cigarettes, beer, iPhones, etc. Nor did they go to McDonalds and buy 5 hamburgers and 2 fries off of the dollar menu, just for one person. (Yes, I saw this just the other day)

You get fat from eating more calories than your body needs. You do not have to have the money to buy Organic meats and veggies to eat within your calorie budget. It is all about choices, for ALL of us.

Most people, no matter what their economic status is, tend to have eating habits that mirror those that are around them. This is what they consider 'normal'. But it doesn't take a PHD or a 6 figure income to understand that if you are fat, you need to eat less.

So again, it comes down to choices. Using poverty as an excuse for being overweight, is a cop-out. There are many excuses that rich people use as well, that are also cop-outs. So no stereotyping or prejudices here, just the honest truth.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Seems to me the wrong question, should it not be "Are the fat poor?"

Eating healthy may be expensive but so can eating unhealthily, bottles of Cola and Take aways I see many obese people wasting money on such rubbish, they are certainly not eating rubbish because of budget its either because of choice or ignorance!

Eating UNhealthy is expensive. Eating on a budget just takes more time and effort than some people want.
  • WheezyFbb
    WheezyFbb Posts: 41 Member
    Options

So again, it comes down to choices. Using poverty as an excuse for being overweight, is a cop-out. There are many excuses that rich people use as well, that are also cop-outs. So no stereotyping or prejudices here, just the honest truth.

This, pretty much.

I find it funny that the best way to lose weight is not to eat, which subsequently saves you a lot of money on meals that just end up as fat deposits anyway. Sounds like something handy to do if you're poor. Even if what you eat is crap, cutting down on the crap and reducing the caloric surplus WILL improve your life. Not everyone can afford the expensive organic stuff (I can't), but cutting down on the things you already eat is both healthier and cheaper than eating so much of it if you are already overweight.

This is is also based on my experience by the way. As a broke college student, I find it much easier on the wallet to lose or maintain weight than to put on weight during my bulking cycles.

It's cheaper to be thin than fat. Period.
  • Crowhorse
    Crowhorse Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    It is very American to hate on poor people.

If it's bad let's label it "American". That's funny, it's very American to help your neighbor who is truly in need. That's been my experience at least.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    It is very American to hate on poor people.

If it's bad let's label it "American". That's funny, it's very American to help your neighbor who is truly in need. That's been my experience at least.

No kidding! It's "elitist" to hate on poor people, but it's quite American to give to the needy. We are probably the most giving nation in the world.

We give to everyone, even dictators. (:grumble:)
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options

The education is there. But unfortunately, so is Iceland.

Hehe. Pretty funny quote. Like it.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

I just came across this post on a thread, "Why is eating healthy so darn expensive?"

"This is why poor people are usually the fat ones. Takes discipline to cut down on unimportant living expenses and buy healthy food, which is much more expensive (MUCH, MUCH MORE - if the farmers weren't subsidized) to grow, produce. Also, the cost if you are determined to eat healthy (and exercise) is a very good reason to grow your own. Even if you only have a patio, I grew tomatoes, cucumbers, etc., in pots on my sundeck."

I agree in a lot of ways.

Thoughts?
    What unnecessary living expenses should be cut back on?

rent? food? utilities? car payment? assuming they don't have cable or internet?

What would you deem unnecessary?
  • TheITCrowd1
    Options

The State of Kerry Katona is the single greatest reason why mums NEVER EVER go to Iceland lol! They go to wrestle the last bag of cut price 99p frozen turkey twizzlers from some other poor mum's cold greasy fingers :D
  • KimiSteinbach
    KimiSteinbach Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Ok so from what I'm reading here, just like anyone else who puts on weight and isn't aware of caloric values of foods, so do the disadvantaged. I myself wasn't taught caloric values of anything I ate; not from my parents or the school. I was completely in the dark. And, like a previous poster stated, I too thought obesity was genetic but now that the cat is out of the bag so to speak (people speaking from the heart on myfitnesspal as to what they ate to get so big), we know better.

Also looks like depression and comfort eating play a role but that's anyone else too, not only the disadvantaged.

There are neighborhoods where I live that are pretty hip and you don't see any overweight people walking around there. Then you get to the more poverty stricken neighborhoods and the size of folks rises drastically. So yes, they are not so poor that they can't afford food. They can afford food (be it with government assistance) but they choose to eat the more fattening stuff. And true, if they didn't have someone showing them how to cook while growing up, it would have to be a conscience decision to turn it around. Like some posters here; they have to really desire it.

Thanks for all of your replies. Very educational and eye opening. :wink: :flowerforyou: :smooched: :flowerforyou: :tongue: :drinker:
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options

The State of Kerry Katona is the single greatest reason why mums NEVER EVER go to Iceland lol! They go to wrestle the last bag of cut price 99p frozen turkey twizzlers from some other poor mum's cold greasy fingers :D

I actually do go to Iceland a fair bit. I dont think it is all that bad. I have however, pretentiously looked at other people's trolleys to horrendous viewing.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    Let's see ... I can get 4 lbs of boneless/skinless chicken for $8 at the supermarket. For another $4 I can get a container of seasoned breadcrumbs and an 8-pack of whole wheat rolls. For $1.50 each I can have 8 sizeable, high-protein, low-fat chicken sandwiches (roughly 420 calories, 55g of protein, 7g fat, 30g carbs). Now the Spicy Chicken Sandwich at McDonald's apparently costs $1 in most of the country (I had to Google that) and gives me 380 calories, 15g protein, 17g fat, and 41g carbs (along with nearly half a day's worth of sodium). So for an extra 50 cents I can have nearly 4x the protein, less than half the fat, 3/4 of the carbs, and more net calories which all adds up to a meal that is going to leave me satiated for longer and thereby inclined to eat less. Tell me again how eating healthy has to be more expensive ... Bulls**t.

Stop buying into the low fat, reduced sugar, less this, less that marketing gimmicks that actually require you to pay more for less (often smaller portions) and simply make better dietary choices.

^^This hands down. Stop giving into the hype of "lowfat" or "fatfree". I can put that on a bag of sugar and its the same thing. I eat canned vegies, buy things on sale, buy frozen vegies, make stuff in bulk, shop at the dollar store sometimes, It is more than not having the resources, it is having the time and the knowledge to find ways to be creative and tweak your recipes and stop buying prepackaged/processed/fast food stuff. Cook people. Google recipes and food ideas on a budget. You can eat good and low cal on a budget. Trust me I am the queen of saving money
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    What unnecessary living expenses should be cut back on?

rent? food? utilities? car payment? assuming they don't have cable or internet?

What would you deem unnecessary?
    [/quote]

see that is a problem right there: living above your means like having car payments and cable and internet. Those are luxuries. First comes house payment or rent, then electric and heat/air, then food. All else falls into place only if you have the money. If you don't have the money then don't have these things.
  • eddiesmith1
    eddiesmith1 Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    see that is a problem right there: living above your means like having car payments and cable and internet. Those are luxuries. First comes house payment or rent, then electric and heat/air, then food. All else falls into place only if you have the money. If you don't have the money then don't have these things.

Exactly, though if you live rural you likely will have to consider a car a necessity as you will require it to get to work. if you live in a city though it's definitely a luxury.
    One of the biggest issues is the vast majority of people have very little cooking skills (it's been a long time since Home Economics was a school course that was mandatory) and they choose the takeaway and fast food and prepared options because they think it's cheaper. It's generally not cheaper (though the manufacturer gets lower prices on ingredients they are still in business to make a profit) Jamie Oliver has a great series covering this http://www.jamieoliver.com/savewithjamie/
    Part of it is controlling food waste (north america in particular is very bad at this we throw out enough to wipe out hunger) part of it is learning to cook, and if you are on a constrained budget a big part is learning to use off cuts and the parts people generally don't know how to cook (Off cuts have actually gone up in price because restaurants are using them more now). Learning to cook well has been a boon for me. I can eat for very little through careful purchasing.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

Exactly, though if you live rural you likely will have to consider a car a necessity as you will require it to get to work. if you live in a city though it's definitely a luxury.
    One of the biggest issues is the vast majority of people have very little cooking skills (it's been a long time since Home Economics was a school course that was mandatory) and they choose the takeaway and fast food and prepared options because they think it's cheaper. It's generally not cheaper (though the manufacturer gets lower prices on ingredients they are still in business to make a profit) Jamie Oliver has a great series covering this http://www.jamieoliver.com/savewithjamie/
    Part of it is controlling food waste (north america in particular is very bad at this we throw out enough to wipe out hunger) part of it is learning to cook, and if you are on a constrained budget a big part is learning to use off cuts and the parts people generally don't know how to cook (Off cuts have actually gone up in price because restaurants are using them more now). Learning to cook well has been a boon for me. I can eat for very little through careful purchasing.

It's a little difficult to think of a car as a luxury when you live in a part of the country where the temperature are below freezing for more than half of the year, and if you work more than a couple of miles away from your home and don't have public transportation available to you you will be risking your life if you try to walk to work.
  • eddiesmith1
    Options

It's a little difficult to think of a car as a luxury when you live in a part of the country where the temperature are below freezing for more than half of the year, and if you work more than a couple of miles away from your home and don't have public transportation available to you you will be risking your life if you try to walk to work.

Agreed, I have public transport available, though I cycle most of the year, this winter has been too brutal for that, I do however walk home from work every day (and it has been very cold this winter i just dress for it - I've worked outdoors in brutally cold weather at points it's all about dressing for it ) that was why I mentioned a car was a necessity if you were rural (I'd consider where you are rural McCindy :smile:

I'd be very surprised if there weren't some people making do without a vehicle out your way though, sometimes it's just not a choice. - In Toronto we have a much higher proportion of welfare level poverty because it is easier for people to survive in a larger city even with high rents
  • mccindy72
    Options

Agreed, I have public transport available, though I cycle most of the year, this winter has been too brutal for that, I do however walk home from work every day (and it has been very cold this winter i just dress for it - I've worked outdoors in brutally cold weather at points it's all about dressing for it ) that was why I mentioned a car was a necessity if you were rural (I'd consider where you are rural McCindy :smile:

I'd be very surprised if there weren't some people making do without a vehicle out your way though, sometimes it's just not a choice. - In Toronto we have a much higher proportion of welfare level poverty because it is easier for people to survive in a larger city even with high rents

we recently had a gentleman whose car got stuck on the side of the road on a day when the wind chill was -35. He was only about a mile from home, so he tried to walk. They found his body a few hours later.
  • eddiesmith1
    Options

we recently had a gentleman whose car got stuck on the side of the road on a day when the wind chill was -35. He was only about a mile from home, so he tried to walk. They found his body a few hours later.

If you aren't dressed for it you don't leave your car in that weather - hopefully you have the car stocked for emergencies (blanket/flare/protein bar and a cell phone to call for help
    - OTOH I walked home at -35 the other week but i was well bundled up - but I had the option at any point to pop into a shop or a coffee shop or onto transit .
  • ab_1203
    ab_1203 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    People get fat cause they overeat. Being poor isn't an excuse to eat a lot of food.
  • mccindy72
    Options

If you aren't dressed for it you don't leave your car in that weather - hopefully you have the car stocked for emergencies (blanket/flare/protein bar and a cell phone to call for help
    - OTOH I walked home at -35 the other week but i was well bundled up - but I had the option at any point to pop into a shop or a coffee shop or onto transit .

Another point being the poor often can't afford the clothes needed to "bundle up" against the cold, or overeat and insulate with fat against it either.
  • WALKSMARATHONS
    Options
    We went through a spell after college where my family of 3 lived off LESS then 18k a year. Now when you have less than $5 left to feed your family for a cpl days to you A buy a head of lettuce n perhaps chicken breast and have 1 meal or spend 99cents per pack of 8 hotdogs and a bag of potatoes. What do you when you want to keep your family fed n sated. Its not always easy times actually get tough when there is no work, no money coming in. And yes there were times we were taking cans back to get money for that pack of hotdogs. Let me tell ya a diet of hotdogs n hamburger helper doenst bode well on the body lol

For the last 10 years I have supported my family on less than 10,000 per year and we have done just fine. I think the greatest North American expense is the AUTOMOBILE. We have never had a car and I think that makes all the difference.