Cereal + protein?

2»

Replies

• balletpolegirl
    balletpolegirl Posts: 73 Member
    I sprinkle half a scoop of vanilla flavoured protein powder onto my cereal and mix it in with the milk. I found it doesn't change the taste much, just makes it seem a bit creamier. I guess that's just my taste though.

I have seen you can get flavourless powders, maybe they're worth a try?
  • cheripugh1
    cheripugh1 Posts: 357 Member
    I mix my cereal with Greek yogurt (any flavor) and it is delish plus filling and bring up that protein count. I often use Special K Protein cereal (@ 14g protein a serving) too which is very good mixed together but seriously any cereal will go great with it.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Personally, I get my cereal fix in the evenings. I am blessed to have a cafeteria at work, so a hot breakfast is convenient, quick, and cheap. I have grown to love scrambled eggs for breakfast, adding salsa to them for some extra flavor. Also, I like to add a bit of bacon or sausage. I can get 30 grams of protein with just eggs and bacon, but Greek yogurt can work too.

Oh, and ETA: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjLO4eEp0Xs
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Have Greek yogurt and put some cereal on top? Or go with protein cereal (it's not much, but better than nothing).
  • tep668
    tep668 Posts: 9 Member
    You can add some hemp hearts to your cereal, great protein source.
  • dawlschic007
    dawlschic007 Posts: 636 Member
    I want to add more protein to breakfast. Not difficult... except that I love cereal. I use nonfat milk in my cereal, but I need more protein than that. I could eat an egg with my cereal, but I will eventually get tired of them. Bacon is great, but it's not exactly a quick breakfast fix. I have mixed whey powder into the milk, but it made the cereal really really sweet.

Anyone have any suggestions on a quick protein addition to my cereal breakfast?

I use almond milk and mix it with one scoop of vanilla protein and shake it up, then add it to my cereal with some fruit like blueberries or something. What kind of cereal are you eating now? I like the Kashi Cinnamon Harvest or Go Lean Crunch and since the cereal itself is not sweet, the protein powder and almond milk doesn't make it overly sweet.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    As someone else mentioned, I only do a high fiber cereal at night right before bed one or two nights per week. Works wonders :smile:

Amost every morning I do egg whites with spinach, two slices of turkey bacon and a little Siracha. My mid morning snack is almost always a greek yogurt with some almonds (blueberries/strawberries/stevia) mixed in. That gives me enough protein to get through my morning.

Even though it's high in sodium I sometimes snack on Turkey Jerky for additional protein. I'll also have a couple of hard boiled egg whites in the afternoon. I do a protein shake meal replacement for lunch that has 25 grams. I do salmon a couple of nights per week. I don't eat red meat but I am big on lean pork, ground turkey and chicken... you could do an egg white or regular egg omelete and put any of those fillings. The other day I had a salad with ground turkey, grilled chicken, a scoop of tuna, a scoop of cottage cheese and a couple of pieces of tofu... talk about proteins! haha

I stay away from protein bars, to me they are just too high in calories and sugars. I also stay away from peanut butter. I like it but for the amount of protein you're really getting per serving there are way too many calories.

Hope this helps!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    You can add some hemp hearts to your cereal, great protein source.

Me likey! :bigsmile: