Are fitness wristbands worth it? Do you use one?

Options
2»

Replies

• theguy12
    theguy12 Posts: 156
    Options
    Wish there was a wristband fitness tracker that did HEART RATE too plus the steps, sleep, etc. ANY IDEAS?

So if your lifting weights, throwing your arms around, etc how does it know difference between that and steps by the way?
  • CrazyC
    CrazyC Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Wish there was a wristband fitness tracker that did HEART RATE too plus the steps, sleep, etc. ANY IDEAS?

So if your lifting weights, throwing your arms around, etc how does it know difference between that and steps by the way?

^^^ if you want something like that check into the Polar Loop. I almost bought one, but it's still fairly new. I like to research the piss out of something prior to buying it. :Wink: Two styles of the Polar Loop come with heart rate monitors for about $150 - $170 +. Very similar to the Polar heart rate monitors others mentioned but it ALSO tracks sleep, steps, calories burned etc like the FitBit Flex and/or Force. Thus, it like having a heart rate monitor AND a Fitbit Force and/or Flex in one. :smile: I actually have the Fitbit Force AND a Polar FT7. I love both of them. Hope that helps. :smile:
  • theguy12
    Options
    Right - saw the LOOP. You have to wear a heart rate chest strap with it right?

And I don't think the loop links to MFP. Boo.

This one looks cool but once again doesn't link to MFP - http://www.mioglobal.com/Shop/MIO-Alpha/product.aspx?productid=1&deptid=1&pricecat=2
  • wac021
    wac021 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit Force and I love it! I got it for Christmas and have worn it every since. I love that it syncs with MFP and it does motivate me to move more, take my break and go for a quick walk, etc.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I use the Fitbit One, which I clip to my bra strap so no one knows I have it, and I don't have to worry about it matching my clothes, going out of style, if I'll get tired of it on my wrist, etc. I thought it would keep me motivated to reach that golden 10K steps per day since I tend to be fairly competitive (many late nights beating my own scores on Wii!) but I find that it doesn't provide that kind of motivation for me. What it does do is keep my mindful of how active I'm being on a daily basis. If I'm feeling lazy and don't want to get to the gym, I'll check my step total and if it's 8-9K then I can skip the gym. if it's only 5K, then I'll get my butt to the gym. The drawback is it doesn't seem to track anything I do on an exercise bike or treadmill.

I also use a Polar FT4 to make sure I'm working out at the right level. I'm not obsessive about heart rate zones etc, but I do want to make sure I'm working hard enough and not too hard.
  • patlebrun1
    patlebrun1 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I don't own one, but you might want to check the Polar FT80. It's more training oriented rather than running/walking. It has HRM, sleep monitor, calories burned...etc etc...

I came very close to buy it, it looks great, and I think the features are awesome, I just didn't like the feel of the wristband on my arm. Looks like a good instrument though.
  • allbarrett
    allbarrett Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit Flex and my SO has a Jawbone UP. We both love them.

I will warn you, there is a REAL problem with the Flex (you can check out Fitbit's forums) - the unit doesn't always fit into the charger tightly enough to get a charge (I have to use a piece of folded up paper or some tape to hold it in firmly enough). This is irritating enough that 1) I'm on my second unit, having returned the first one, thinking it was just a glitch, and 2) I'm thinking of getting something different altogether. Using a piece of scrap paper to help charge my $100 toy is VERY annoying.

That said, I love the damn thing (as does the SO) and find it fun and entertaining to see how much I've moved during the day. Seeing it on my wrist reminds me to get up and get away from the desk every hour or two, even if it is just to walk around the office and stretch a bit. Unless you get a heart rate monitor, pedometers and wristbands, etc., are toys (don't kid yourself). If you can afford to drop $100 (or whatever) on electronic gadgets, terrific, but don't think that it will fix anything. :) I'm a gadget person, so it was worth it for me (if I didn't have to fight for an hour every 5 days to get the thing to accept a charge).

Polar Loop won't sync to MFP yet (though they keep promising to release an API so that could come). Jawbone UP will sync, as will all the Fitbit products. Garmin has a number of interesting watches that do a lot of the same stuff, closed API and they mean to keep it that way (so no syncing ever). The Pebble watch looks interesting (for a toy geek anyway), but there aren't a lot of apps yet.
  • nomad1000
    nomad1000 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I have a FB Force and love it.

While it isn't perfect, it does keep me motivated and seeing it on my wrist during the day at work, reminds me to get up and take a walk around the office every so often to get my steps and to stretch my legs. It also is that constant reminder that I am working a plan to get healthy and moving more.

The vibrating alarm is nice since it doesn't jolt me awake like the one on my phone.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,151 Member
    Options
    YES! I have the basic Polar FT4. I got it off Amazon around Christmas. It was about 42 bucks. They are about 70 bucks now. The basic keeps track of HRM and calories burned. It's great because MFP really overestimate calories burned for the exercises I do. Since I got, I can't wait to exercise so I can see how well I'm doing and to see how much more I have to burn to get to my goal for the day. Polar has other models, but I find that the FT4 is good enough for me. I workout at home with my DVDs and I had no idea that you can actually burn a lot of calories as you do working out to Turbo Fire.

HRM like the Polar are not activity trackers. They are only for while you are exercising doing cardio, nothing more. Activity trackers which the original poster asked about, are meant for all day use. The only combination one I know of is the Basis activity tracker which also has a continuous HRM built in.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,151 Member
    Options
    I am pretty much convinced to buy a Fitbit Force BUT one big question.

I don't really run/walk.

I like to workout (circuit training). Is it still going to be useful? Isn't it mostly for steps?

Depends - what you need it for? if it is to track calories burned then get yourself a HRM instead, at least figures are correct and not guestimation!

Even a HRM will not track circuit training calories well. HRMs only work well for steady state cardio not Intervals, not weight lifting, in fact not for anything but steady state cardio.
  • MAGNIFIEDME
    MAGNIFIEDME Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I found this one online but it doesn't seem to be in production yet although I'd love to buy it when it comes out

http://www.angelsensor.com/index.html

I think I'm going to purchase the FitBit Force once I can confirm it's waterproof and I can swim with it.... I've read all sorts of responses to that - if anybody has once that can confirm if it is that would be great.

great topic by the way....
  • theguy12
    Options
    FORCE is NOT water proof and you CAN NOT swim with it!
  • popo312
    popo312 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I want one but I'm holding out to see what Apple does. I love my HRM but for an all day device I'm holding out for now.