Running Shoes! How long they last?

Options
Typical time frame of course...and in general.
Thank you!

Replies

• ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Depends on the shoe and the intensity of training. 350-500 miles is about standard.
  • DeeVanderbles
    DeeVanderbles Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    It will obviously vary based on your mileage but I've heard 3-6 months.
  • scottyg70
    scottyg70 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I've heard every six months and I've heard 300-500 miles. Personally, unless you want to fork out $125+ every six months, I'd go with the mileage.
  • Panthers89
    Panthers89 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I concur with Thick and ScottyG. Depending on the model of shoe - 300-500 miles.
  • spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    Mine tend to last about 8 months, and "die" to me when I put a hole in the top mesh. Wish ASICS would reinforce their tops!
  • weber22c
    Options
    300-500 miles if you're running ONLY and not also wearing them around for walks and such. I usually keep my previous pair of shoes around for walking/general use.

If you take an extended break from running, though, I'd think about replacing them...sort of like how you change brake fluid every 40,000 miles OR two years, whichever comes first.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I think another thing to consider is the style of running you do. If you rely on the cushioning and technology of the shoe, then yea the above replies are the standard. But if you run with good form or in a minimalist type shoe, then they wear out when they get holes or wear off all the traction. I've pushed shoes a bit longer than the advised "life" without issue. But that's not to say it can be done for everyone & every type of shoe
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I think another thing to consider is the style of running you do. If you rely on the cushioning and technology of the shoe, then yea the above replies are the standard. But if you run with good form or in a minimalist type shoe, then they wear out when they get holes or wear off all the traction. I've pushed shoes a bit longer than the advised "life" without issue. But that's not to say it can be done for everyone & every type of shoe

Yep. Standard advice has mostly to do with the sole spongyness. If you don't really need that and are a forefoot strker, they last until they fall apart.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Typically I'll get around 500 or so miles out of a pair which usually translates into about 3 pairs a year, I'll know it's time to replace them when I start getting little niggles cropping up.

As others have mentioned........your running shoes are for running only, keep an older pair as your casual/walking/weekend shoes.
  • erockem
    erockem Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    These are the stats in my running log:

Weight: 205lbs - 210lbs
    Adidas replaced at: 304.62 miles
    Reason: Blistering.

Weight: 185lbs
    GT2000 replaced at: 426.80 miles
    Reason: Pain in ball of foot at mile 400ish.

Weight: 188lbs
    GT3000 current: 240.75 miles

Weight, shoe, foot strike, and quality all affect longevity.
  • Lld320
    Lld320 Posts: 81
    Options
    If your legs are unusually sore after you run that is a good indicator, or look at the treads on the bottom. If you have worn them out then you need new ones. I just bought my third pair since last July, they aren't cheap unfortunately, but you can use them for other stuff just not running once they are worn out.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I tend to get about 300 miles out of mine. At that point, the tread starts to break down on the midfoot and the shoes feel uncomfortable or I get blisters. That's my sign to replace them.
  • amandalj
    amandalj Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I use my running shoes strictly for running and get about 400 miles out of them. After I go over 400 my knees start to ache and I can really feel it in my shins. I use a different pair for walking/running errands/etc.

It is a little different for everyone in terms of how long they last, but if you are using them strictly for running it's very helpful to keep a mileage log.
    After every run write down how many miles you ran and just keep adding. Pay attention once you start going over 300 miles to how your feet/shins/knees start to feel. When they are achy during your run it's time to rotate a new pair in.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I ran in Brooks for 10 years and could only get 400-425 miles per pair. After that it feel like I have shin splints.

I usually run 2,200+ miles per year, so I burn through quite a few.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    They last forever if you never take them out of the box. :wink:
  • DangerJim71
    DangerJim71 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    400-500 miles at most. I don't wear them for any other activity ever and have a spare pair so can alternate occasionally.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Depends on how often you run, where you run, how heavy you are, what quality of shoes you bought.