Dogs

Options
Vivx
Vivx Posts: 121
hey everyone
my boyfriend saidf he will buy me a dog for my xmas as a few years ago my old dog passed :(
anyways not sure wot breed to get nothing to big but i want something that can handle alot of exercise !
any suggestions x

Replies

• AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    Get a Lab!!! I love my puppy...she gets excited when i put on my running shoes and is such a great motivator. Shes a black lab but my parents had a yellow lab and she was great also!

Congrats on the pet, they are great!
  • DanStl
    Options
    you cant go wrong with a Golden Retriever!!
  • kpopa
    kpopa Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I have a goldendoodle and they are the BEST! So loving and cute and fluffy. He's 70 lbs so a bit big...BUT, you can get a mini goldendoodle and have the best of both worlds!

Remember...it's best to adopt or rescue. Please don't use a pet store or back yard breeder. just my 2 cents. Thanks!
  • CMcBryer
    CMcBryer Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    My friend has a Shiba Inu, and it is very energetic. It's small but not too small. Research them and see if it's the right dog for you. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shiba_Inu

http://www.akc.org/breeds/shiba_inu/

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/shiba.htm
  • ducky5m48
    ducky5m48 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    German Shephards are sweet, loyal, lovable, always ready to run, and great guard dogs!
  • noble1987
    Options
    SIBERIAN HUSKY OR A ALASKAN MALAMUTE!!!!!
  • iampam654
    Options
    i have labs, theyre a bit aged now but in their younger days they were all about being out walking, running, chasing, just moving.
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Go to the local humane society and get a dog that needs a home. It may not be a purebreed but that's not a bad thing.
    Mixed breeds have less chance of getting the conditions that are prone with pure breeds.

You can get an idea of how big it will get based on what mix it is. I'm willing to bet you can find a medium sized dog that needs just enough exercise to get you moving. Plus they need the love!
  • DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Find a 'mutt' at an animal shelter.
  • pilotgirl2007
    pilotgirl2007 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Adopt a mutt : ) try looking on www.petfinder.com thats where I found my dog and she is a whippet/basenji mix, great for running!
  • LJK100
    LJK100 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    WEINER DOGS RULE!!!!!!
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    Please, please adopt a nice shelter dog. I have always gotten wonderful mixed breeds at the shelter. I currently have a Shiba Inu/cattle dog mix and he is the cutest dog.
  • TaneeisFitforLife
    Options
    Look into shelters or rescue....I have a boxer (she loves to run!) & we are going to adopt a recycled boxer from our local rescue group soon :)
  • you cant go wrong with a Golden Retriever!!

Agreed!! I love my retriever, I have a collie retriever cross as well and they both have tooooooooooons of energy

I volunteer 3 days a week at the SPCA though and agree with sillygoose, go check out a shelter first you would be amazed by the amount of dogs that are just perfect there, well trained, friendly, just all around awesome!
  • doggiemomma
    Options
    Find a 'mutt' at an animal shelter.

There are also purebreds at shelters. Miniature Pinschers are also active. If you get one from a shelter or rescue, they can tell you how energetic the dog will be.

Home for the Holidays - 'Till they all have homes.
  • 6Janelle13
    6Janelle13 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    do you have a particular size of dog you want? for running long distances a lab is awesome. I have a mutt from the pound and she is the best dog ever (50 lbs- lab, chow, shepherd mix- sweet, smart and the perfect size for me to manage)
  • kelseyt17
    kelseyt17 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I have a border collie. She is NEVER out of energy. She's always ready to play. Plus shes a VERY smart and sweet dog.
  • AdventureVia
    AdventureVia Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Labs are great dogs
    Border Collies are some of the most energetic dogs I've ever known

BUT

My last dog that I sadly left with my exgirlfriend (so the dog could protect her) was a Bluetick Coonhound. I am a total convert now, I will never own a dog thats not a coonhound, they are the most loving, energetic, expressive dogs and at every dog park and everywhere we went people couldn't get enough of her. I miss her incredibly and can't wait to be in my own place again, first thing I'm doing is finding a coonhound.

28094_395401698465_513918465_3937724_3733984_n.jpg
    This is Ellie, the awesome dog I left behind...
  • Giddeaon
    Options
    If you decide upon a specific breed, please do a little research online. Almost ALL major registered breeds have official rescue organizations dedicated to placing the breed with owners and homes that will be a good fit for them. You can easily adopt any breed for very little money if you do the research.

If you don't want to adopt, please do NOT purchase from a pet store. The sad fact is that a predominance of pet stores purchase their animals from puppy farms where the breed stock is treated horribly. I know that people don't mean to make the mistake, but purchasing from a pet store is akin to supporting animal cruelty (in many cases - not all - there are a very few good pet stores - in the end it's safer to just adopt than possibly support puppy farming). If you do just a modicum of research online, you'll be easily convinced to adopt and stay away from a pet shop.

I'm a fan of sighthounds because they are sleek, fast and well tempered. I'm a proud dad of two Italian Greyhounds named Marcus and Maximus that I adopted almost 4 years ago. I adopted both through the IGCA (breed specific rescue) that helped me to find the right IGs for me (both are "biggies" for the breed). The people in the IGCA helped me to make sure I was picking the right breed for me. It was a great experience, and I am so happy I was turned on to them by a friend....otherwise I would have made the mistake of just buying a pup at the pet shop.

Check out adoption...if you visit an adoption service I guarantee you'll find a special friend that you will fall in love with.
  • JulieTX86
    Options
    I have two chocolate labs. The female is 3 years old and 70 lbs, the male is 1 year old and already over 80 lbs. No matter what breed you get, I believe female dogs typically stay on the smaller side. So maybe that will help.

Also I love Husky type dogs, but I live in Texas and the weather gets really hot here, so I personally didn't want a long full fur coat dog, not sure where you live but maybe keep weather in mind. :)

My ticker is a picture of my male dog when he was a little puppy. In my profile pictures I have photos of both the male and the female. :)

They really are mans best friend, and I love them to death! Good luck on the puppy hunt!